Sport Bikes banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Topping up Coolant reservoir

Al your tips were really helpful - I found that if I just removed the seat and then used a funnel and a flexible tube , I could top up the reservoir without removing anything else.

A syphon would work but I did not fancy my chances getting a mouthful of anti-freeze.:):)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Yup funnel and tubing work wonders.
Be sure to check your coolant levels real soon, as in maybe every day / ride. If you have a leak, you want to catch it. It is possible there was an air pocket in the radiator and it just 'burped' into the reservoir tank, with the air being replaced by coolant, but I would say unlikely. If that's the case though, no worries. If you keep losing coolant, check into it fast, and don't ride it far without fixin er up. I didn't see what year your fizzer was, is it new, under warranty?

·
Registered
807 Posts
I would expect to see some metal in the oil, not the coolant. If yours in an 04, and you're seeing metal, I would think your water pump bearings are starting to go. It won't take too much misaligmnent of the pump shaft (caused by wearing bearings) to make the pump impeller rub against the housing. The only other place there is any movemant at all in your cooling system is the thermostat. But we're talking almost no movement at all. Next time you drain your coolant, or sooner even, ya might wanna take the cover off the water pump and see if there's any scraping on the pump housing. There should be no contact at all. A water pump like ours is not a positive displacement pump, so there's no internal contact between the impeller and housing. *cheers*

·
IM A DAD
1,627 Posts
There's an easier way

ONLY DO THIS WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD

Take the radiator cap off, put the palm of your hand over the top to completely seal it them squeeze the hose that goes to the water pump, now stop squeezing but keep the pressure on the hose (this forces coolant in to the reservoir bottle) first remove your hand from the radiator top (if not it will just suck it back out again), once your hand is removed from the radiator release the hose, now fill the radiator up to the top and keep doing the whole process again till the reservoir level is at the top mark.

So much easier than removing the tank etc.
+8,000 Why waste time and effort?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts