Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
im trying to decide between a icon motorhead jacket or a joe rocket blaster.
they are both used but in good condition and both are about the same price,
i dont race or anything like that mainly just back and forth to work and play a lil on the weekends. im leaning toward the icon but wanted to get you guys opinion first

TIA
joshua

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a Joe Rocket Speedmaster jacket. It is ok, but I probably wouldn't buy Joe Rocket again because the armor moves around alot and the inside breast pocket zipper broke (no big deal, but for ~400 bucks I don't like stuff breaking). I don't have any experience with Icon though except for their helmets so...

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
It's kind of like comparing dog poop to cat poop. They are both pieces of shit :lol

My point is, don't skimp on gear, pony up the dough and get a quality jacket.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
firefighter81 said:
It's kind of like comparing dog poop to cat poop. They are both pieces of shit :lol

Why do you have a smart ass remark for every thing? Any way I would go with the Icon I have one and its very comfy and very well made.

·
Registered
70 Posts
firefighter81 said:

Alpinestars is pretty much the same stuff so I don't know what you are trying to say about your pretty red pants. :lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
firefighter81 said:

maybe im the only one that doesnt race every weekend, but i dont really see any point in wasting 700 bucks on some jacket thats been crash tested at 200 mph when the speed limit around here is 70

i think im going to go with the icon it seems to be a good street jacket

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'd go with JR stuff or the two, but I'd strongly suggest Alpinestars/Spidi/Spyke/etc just because they are higher quality. They can be had for a fairly good price if you check out eBay.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Tweak said:
Alpinestars is pretty much the same stuff so I don't know what you are trying to say about your pretty red pants. :lol
Alpinestars stuff is way better than Icon or Joe Rocket gear... but that being said, I don't think there's anything wrong with Joe Rocket gear for street riding at sane speeds.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Icon gear and Joe Rocket gear have both been crash tested in several different speed crashes, and those tests prove that it is very common for the Icon gear to just fall apart on impact and the JR stuff doesn't do much better. I can't believe someone said A* is the same stuff as JR/Icon, I suppose Dainese, Vanson, and Barnacle Bill's stuff is the same too.....do a little research before you talk next time.

I made a smartass comment because it's the truth, how I choose to word my responses is of no concern to you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
firefighter81 said:
Icon gear and Joe Rocket gear have both been crash tested in several different speed crashes, and those tests prove that it is very common for the Icon gear to just fall apart on impact and the JR stuff doesn't do much better. I can't believe someone said A* is the same stuff as JR/Icon, I suppose Dainese, Vanson, and Barnacle Bill's stuff is the same too.....do a little research before you talk next time.

I made a smartass comment because it's the truth, how I choose to word my responses is of no concern to you.
Of course how you word your responses is of concern to us seeing as this is a public message board and you are replying to public posts. That is asinine to say your wording is of no concern to anyone. Who is it of concern to then what you write? Should we all just not read your posts anymore?

And as far as the A* vs. Joe Rocket, have you ever owned or wore J Rocket stuff? If not, then I have done more research than you has I have owned both. And I also didn't say it was the same, I said it was similar acknowliding A* is better, but not on the same level as Vanson, Daniese.

·
Registered
269 Posts
firefighter81 said:

There's no help here unless you pony up some info on what is a quality jacket.

I'd like to know cause I just dumped 400 into a speedmaster also mainly because some of the others Alpinestar and others dont have large enough sizes I needed a 54us (64euro) many of the other jackets come max size 50us. They think nothing but short italian dudes ride bikes I guess :)

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Tweak said:
Of course how you word your responses is of concern to us seeing as this is a public message board and you are replying to public posts. That is asinine to say your wording is of no concern to anyone. Who is it of concern to then what you write? Should we all just not read your posts anymore?

And as far as the A* vs. Joe Rocket, have you ever owned or wore J Rocket stuff? If not, then I have done more research than you has I have owned both. And I also didn't say it was the same, I said it was similar acknowliding A* is better, but not on the same level as Vanson, Daniese.
Yes, I crash tested a Joe Rocket jacket on either my second or third track day about 4 years ago. The armor in the forearms shifted completely to the other side of the arm, the seam holding the shouler on tore away as well, this was on a "fairly minor" lowside. On the other hand I've tested A* and Barnacle Bill's leathers in multiple crashes at the track and they have held together well through multiple crashes. This justifies my hate for Joe Rocket gear, maybe I got a lemon, but if they actually release lemons, that says alot for the JR QC. Icon gear I've never tested (but countless tests have had bad results), I wear an Icon helmet on the street. I like it because it was fairly cheap and has SNELL and DOT certs, but I hate the fit/finish of the helmet. That's why only the Shoei goes to the track.

Bottom line is buy what you want, I've got personal experience to base my buying decisions on, if you don't want to agree with my decision take the risk and buy what I have advised against, I honestly hope when you crash you come out completely unscathed, best wishes, seriously. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
firefighter81 said:
Yes, I crash tested a Joe Rocket jacket on either my second or third track day about 4 years ago.
JR on the track? I don't even have a bike yet, but even my noob ass wouldn't do that. Personally I have a Shoei X11 and a JR Phoenix mesh jacket, and a* gloves.

For track days, I agree with you man, shell out the dough for the quality, crash tested gear. But for what this guy needs I'm sure the JR will be fine...

ANYHOO

In all honesty, I'd go with the JR. There are way too many horror stories about icon gear, with them being such a new company....

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
If for some reason all the other companies went out of business, I'd take Joe Rocket. But that's only if I had no other choice besides Icon (which is crap gear anyways).

Like I said before, get what you want, most people who ask questions on this forum already have their mind made up well before they post, they are just looking for people to agree with them. Sorry I don't agree with JR or ICON.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im not really concerned on how well the gear holds up after the crash as long as it potects me....if these are just "one crash only " equipment thats ok with me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a joe rocket pheonix 4.0, it is decent for the street, extremely well vented, which is the primary reason I got it, the quality seems very nice, at least as far as I am concerned, but, it does only have soft foam armor, and they do shift a bit, at least the elbow pads, and for what it is worth, I now wear a fieldsheer jacket, which has actual leather patches, and hard CE armor plates, I highly recommend that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts