Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just have a quick question about an icon helmet... what are some of your experiences/knowledge of the Icon Mainframe Skull helmet... i really like the way this helmet looks but i wanna know more about this helmet before i drop 300 bucks on it.

·
Calm like a bomb!
7,944 Posts
IMHO Icon helmets are mediocre at best.

I have an Icon Alliance SS and recently purchased a Shoei RF-1000...it's a world of difference. The fit and finish of the Icons is second rate and the only way I would ever purchase another Icon is if the wife wanted a pink helmet to wear.

Damn the graphics...form follows function.

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
dang ice so you really dont like the icons huh...??? i was actually thinking of getting an icon holligan mainframe... i have an hjc right now but its getting worn...

·
Registered
235 Posts
bought a Mainframe Halo last Summer. Looks great, fits OK..I looked at a Shoie and Arai last week and realized the Icon is more about looks than good fit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why would you spend $300 on that when you could get a Suomy Vandal, AGV Stealth, V-Flyer, or XR-2 for the same price or less; other than the fact that you like the graphics. AGV is having a good sale on their helmets right now.

I'm just not a fan of Icon helmets.....they're about the same quality as HJC

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
I had an ICON for a while, sold it at first chance. Definitely has the looks in mind first before function. At high speeds, it pressed against my face, the visor flew up a couple of times when I turned my head, it was loud...want me to go on?

I have a couple of Scorpians now, had an Arai (that I killed) and would probably pick up a Suomy next. I'd stay away from ICON's

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
I have an Icon now...

Good
--Fits well (for me, anyway)
--Ridiculously easy to change visors
--Wind noise is OK (I'm yet to find a lid that dosen't have wind noise)
--Ventillation is OK at best
--Not as expensive, but just as safe as any lid you can buy
--Looks great
--Have not had any problems with visor flying up at high speeds

Bad
--Very, very heavy
--Emblems/decals fall off soon after purchase from using cheap glue
--Can't find a good breath guard
--Can't remove cheek pads
--No snap on chin strap
--No visor lock

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah thats why i asked... ive never dealt with icon before and i always liked the way they look but i dont know anyone that has one either (but then again i ride solo about 90% of the time)... so yeah i thought i would ask and get some opinions...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well I'll go against the tide here...I have a Icon Mainframe Halo Gloss that I like. Does fog up a bit but seems like every helmet does except for Scorpions.

I had a HJC, way too big for me. The shop where I bought the bike only had HJC, Icon and Shoei so I exchanged for the Icon. I like it and haven't had any problems with it. Shoei doesn't fit my head shape.

Goose

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
Here's the thing...

Any helmet you buy will do what it is supposed to do, protect your head in a crash...Even the $80 Bell helmet from Walmart will do better than ever expected should it's services be needed...

The extra $$$ you will spend is going to go towards the luxuries...
--Lightweight
--Amazing graphic schemes and the finish on the lid
--Breath guards that actually keep your visor from fogging up
--Chin straps that have buttons to keep the strap from flapping
--Removable/washable cheek pads
--Ventillation that works well

Read this article if you need any more info on safety...It's a long read, but worth every minute...The article below got more mail to that mag than any other in the history of the mag :2eek

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/

·
Registered
32 Posts
L8 Braker said:
Here's the thing...

Any helmet you buy will do what it is supposed to do, protect your head in a crash...Even the $80 Bell helmet from Walmart will do better than ever expected should it's services be needed...

The extra $$$ you will spend is going to go towards the luxuries...
--Lightweight
--Amazing graphic schemes and the finish on the lid
--Breath guards that actually keep your visor from fogging up
--Chin straps that have buttons to keep the strap from flapping
--Removable/washable cheek pads
--Ventillation that works well

Read this article if you need any more info on safety...It's a long read, but worth every minute...The article below got more mail to that mag than any other in the history of the mag :2eek

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/
not to mention a shell that's made of stonger, composite materials(carbon kevlar).

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Go try on a LOT of helmets, concentrate on the fit. You'll find a couple that fit your head better than others. Then you can worry about graphics.

·
Registered
687 Posts
carbon01gt said:
^^^
they're just made of better/stronger/lighter materials.

hmmmm.....kevlar or plastic

you be the judge.
Well if that 500 dollar lid slides around your melon and doesn't fit right and the Icon fits...which one is gonna be better in a spill? I'll go with the one that fits me better

Goose

·
Registered
32 Posts
Goose Rider said:
Well if that 500 dollar lid slides around your melon and doesn't fit right and the Icon fits...which one is gonna be better in a spill? I'll go with the one that fits me better

Goose
fit is #1, followed by quality of materials, followed by ventillation/graphics, etc....

but there's no way there won't be a single kevlar helmet that'll fit your head.

·
Squid Killer
42 Posts
Icon is junk! It's your brain we're talking about here. Go with an Arai or AGV!

·
Registered
687 Posts
miketdragon said:
Icon is junk! It's your brain we're talking about here. Go with an Arai or AGV!

Once again assuming that your noggin fits either one of those helmets. Let's see DOT and Snell certification.....I swear some of you guys think that you are wearing a bathing cap instead of a helmet if you wear an Icon

And by no means am I an Icon apologist....I'll wear whatever fits my head and so far Icon and Scorpion give me the most secure and comfortable fit.

As L8 said, just about any helmet that fits you well and is certified will do it's job in almost any accident....in the ones that the helmet doesn't do its job, chances are that the accident is so bad it wouldn't matter what you are wearing.

I don't pretend to know that for a fact though

Goose

1 - 20 of 29 Posts