Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved this in an email yesterday and thought it would be good to share.

ICE - In Case of Emergency

A campaign encouraging people to enter an emergency contact number in their mobile phone's memory under the heading ICE (In Case of Emergency), has rapidly spread throughout the world as a particular consequence of last week's terrorist attacks in London. Originally established as a nation-wide campaign in the UK, ICE allows paramedics or police to be able to contact a designated relative/next-of-kin in an emergency situation. The idea is the brainchild of East Anglian Ambulance Service paramedic Bob Brotchie and was launched in May this year. Bob, 41, who has been a paramedic for 13 years, said: I was reflecting on some of the calls I've attended at the roadside where I had to look through the mobile phone contacts struggling for information on a shocked or injured person. Almost everyone carries a mobile phone now, and with ICE we'd know immediately who to contact and what number to ring. The person may even know of their medical history. By adopting the ICE advice, your mobile will help the rescue services quickly contact a friend or relative which could be vital in a life or death situation. It only takes a few seconds to do, and it could easily help save your life. Why not put ICE in your phone now? Simply select your person to contact in case of emergency, enter them under the word "ICE" and the telephone number of the person you wish to be contacted. Please will you also email this to everybody in your address book, it won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest. For more than one contact name ICE1, ICE2, ICE3, etc.

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
Good idea as long as everyone knows it. Seeing as this is the first most will have heard of it I doubt the cager who comes up on your body in the road will know it. I carry a list of numbers in my wallet that is the first thing someone see upon opening it. Titled "Emergency Contacts".

·
Registered
806 Posts
Just so everyone knows, not all paramedics know about this. I'm a career paramedic and I hadn't heard anything about it, nor has anyone I work with until it started circulating on the internet. You are better off carrying an "In case of emergency" card in your wallet with your license. This is where we are going to look if you have an emergency. If you're too bad to answer questions for me, I have other things to worry about than wondering where your cell phone is so that I might get in touch with someone. Your wallet though, will most likely find it's way to the hospital with me since it's probably on your body somewhere. Besides, if you're in a car accident with friends and we find a couple of phones, how do we know who's phone is who's? They're going to stay in the car and we're not going to worry about it.
My suggestion as a professional, stick with the "In case of emergency" card in your wallet. List your own contact information, who you would like to contacted in the case of an emergency (we will NOT contact them, the hospital will), and any medications, medical problems and allergies on it. That's what is going to help us to save your life. Not your cell phone.
Shane

·
Registered
791 Posts
when i got my bike i put emergency numbers inside of my leather coat. Hope no one ever needs to use those numbers.

the "ICE" thing makes sense. Just too lazy to do it right this minute.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
I have my name written on the elastic of my underpants...

Actually I work in a job where I frequently have to try and locate people's parents after they have an emergency. It sucks. The more info like that you have on you, numbers in your wallet or on your clothing the better chance of your loved ones knowing what happened to you.

I've never heard the cel phone thing and I don't get them very often. As a motorcyclist, what are the chances your phone won't be smashed into tiny pieces if you are carying it in you breast pocket? It IS a good idea though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts