Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a 50 dollar finders fee to the person who can find me a complete RC51 front end for less than 1,000 bucks.
less than 800 will get a 75 dollar fee I figure.
If you are a canadian member, you may substitute this for beer in whatever ratio you do so please.

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Find as in locate or find as in "find" it for you?

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
find as in direct me to a seller willing to ship to canuckland. Danny, that link is apparently expired.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah shit the setup you had intended to use isn't going to jive. That sucks.
it's not that, well kinda. it's that the set of forks I wanted which were 350 bucks were sold out from under me (the guy DID return my deposit of 75 bucks, so honestly, how mad can I be?). but that was JUST the forks. I'm looking for a gently written off bike to nick the entire front end from, basically. I do know a guy looking for an RVT motor and other guys looking for other bits, so a whole bike that is unrideable for whatever reason isn't out of the question either. it's just a matter of getting it here.

However, the RC51 is rare enough that parts are unicorns here. I'm gonna start browsing the US craigslists and see what I can see.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
find as in direct me to a seller willing to ship to canuckland. Danny, that link is apparently expired.
Wow, I was literally looking at it right before I posted it here. Was basically a wrecked RC51 with everything but fairings intact and he wanted 2200 for it. I'll see if it pops back up.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
motherfucker. i could sell the engine and basically everything but the wheels I think. fuck it, snag the entire parts bike and make a little myself. like an engine here would go for 800 bucks.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I would hope they're cheaper Todd. Before shipping that guy wants 800 bucks for forks and the lower triple.

I understand that this is gonna be a 1,000 dollar job, or more. I'm trying to not be a totally cheap bastard. But I really fucking suck at sourcing international parts and I'm trying to avoid buying something and then 2 weeks later seeing the same thing for half the price.

Danny: 954 forks are not RC forks. they'll fit but I'd have to re-spring them, as the 954 came with softer springs than my VFR (.70 kg/mm compared to .75 I believe on my VFR). the RC came with .95 springs. that said, with how difficult this is being, I am soon gonna buck up and use a 929/954 front end. the springs are about the only functional difference I'd notice. and there is a whole 954 sitting in a wrecker yard not 3 hours from me.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By the way, you guys have no idea how cool this is.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I would hope they're cheaper Todd. Before shipping that guy wants 800 bucks for forks and the lower triple.

I understand that this is gonna be a 1,000 dollar job, or more. I'm trying to not be a totally cheap bastard. But I really fucking suck at sourcing international parts and I'm trying to avoid buying something and then 2 weeks later seeing the same thing for half the price.

Danny: 954 forks are not RC forks. they'll fit but I'd have to re-spring them, as the 954 came with softer springs than my VFR (.70 kg/mm compared to .75 I believe on my VFR). the RC came with .95 springs. that said, with how difficult this is being, I am soon gonna buck up and use a 929/954 front end. the springs are about the only functional difference I'd notice. and there is a whole 954 sitting in a wrecker yard not 3 hours from me.
Eh, I just searched for RC51, didn't see the 954. If all you have to do is put different springs in the forks, that sounds like it's the easier option no? I'm planning on racetech springs for the F4i after the first of the year and they're only like 100 bucks.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
oh, one other issue: the RC51 forks are already a bit shorter than my VFR forks. the 929/954 forks are another 30mm shorter still.

that's not fun to make clipons work with that, and I'd like to avoid running bars. which means I'd need adjustable clipons with a ridiculous amount of adjustment, so I could set them below the 929 gullwing triple (needed just to mount the full 1 1/2" longer RC51 forks, much less the 929 forks) and still bring them up enough to not snag fairings.

the RC is the much more favourable option. it's just. . .not cheaper.

the other option is to pony up and get Daugherty to go through my stock setup. But since my tubes are lightly scarred I dunno if that can be polished out and still make a decent seal. Guess I'll call Daugherty and see.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I might just jump on this if I can't find anything else. do those fork lowers look a little scored to anyone?

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Is an RC front end discontinued from Honda or can you buy the parts brand new for your first born?

Here's an idea, just buy an RC51?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts