Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time!

Got up to third, didn't stall my bike at a left turn (i was always wondering if i would be so nervous that i would give it too little gas when i let the clutch out and cause it to shut off on me)...I only rode from where my trainer/friend had me practicing back to home, but all the nerves i thought would be there wasn't!

I was so excited I nearly squeezed the life out of him!

:phatyo

During practice he had me do tighter uturns and even go all the up into 6th gear before making an "emergency" stop. He seems proud of me and I am definitely proud of myself!!!! :locked :locked :locked

·
Female Butt Lover!!
3,640 Posts
Congrats girl! Keep practicing and it will be easier... :dblthumb

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
sounds good, just keep practicing

·
Female Butt Lover!!
3,640 Posts
Brownilus said:
Thanks!

I know i've said this before...I LOVE that avatar... :D
Thanks! I love it too! :dblthumb

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
So when are going for another go at the MSF? Good job with not stalling, keep practicing and just relax and enjoy yourself. YOu want to always be alert but can do that and relax and be calm at once. After a while, you will be comfortable on the road with traffic and it will be no biggie.

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
today. And i know it shouldn't be such a big deal to be on the road, but it's not so much the road as the fact that i could have bet money i'd be SO nervous...matter of fact when he said "okay give me the car keys, you're riding the bike home" my eyes nearly popped out of my head, my jaw dropped, etc.

Then i said to myself "you know what, it's not the bike controls being new to you anymore, it's YOU making yourself nervous, this is what you got the bike for, he wouldn't put you out there if he didn't think you were ready"...and when i got out there i went through all the motions, as if i had ridden the same road yesterday...i think half my problem has been me worrying about messing up...need to trust myself more, and as you all say, relax...

PS going into 6th felt...good...every higher gear, it's like the bike breathes a sigh of relief that it is finally MOVING...like a horse tired of trotting around the training circle day after day...(yes, i know, sounds like i need to go to bed, lol)

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks! i am aiming to be ready to bravely pass through downtown on a regular commute to class by august/september...so i have the rest of june, july and part of august to get in some mileage here on the outskirts of town...

hopefully by then i can afford an exhaust that is a bit louder. it has the stock one it and it is quiet as a churchmouse...

·
Don't Mess With Texas
324 Posts
Be careful, Tallahassee isn't a very friendly city for motorcyclists. I've never been in a city with as many idiot drivers. Traffic, construction, lost people from South Georgia, retirees, and drunk college kids make for very dangerous in town riding. I was riding over to Spyke's apt one night and watched a guy crossing the street get run over by a Volvo........seriously.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Nice job! I always assumed you've rode in traffic. I come from a much smaller town, but unfortunately, there are idiot drivers everywhere (although in smaller percentages). I know it must feel good to really get out there and ride!

·
Registered
139 Posts
the more prepared you are for any endeavor, the less nervous you will be. welcome to the road. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Congrats. The only advice I can offer is RIDE. A lot. Education can be bought, but experience can only be earned. Use your head and as the miles pile up you will find confidence. Oh and maintain your machine. Welcome.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Man that reminds me of something. I rode for half of June and all of July in my neighrborhood. Just making laps, enough to clock almost 400 miles just getting used to the gears, go around circles, tight turns, emergency braking, cutting the bike off while i was riding then using the starter quick to turn her back on. I learned alot in those few months. I went out on the road every weekend after that(street), maybe stalled 4 times and now smooth sailing. My next adventure, getting into clutchless shifiting. After these summer months pass, you'll be ready to commute, then hit the twisties and whatever else you want to do with your bike. If you ever do a group ride, don't try and push yourself to keep up, ride in your limits, they will wait for you. Good luck. :cheers

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
snakemann said:
Be careful, Tallahassee isn't a very friendly city for motorcyclists. I've never been in a city with as many idiot drivers. Traffic, construction, lost people from South Georgia, retirees, and drunk college kids make for very dangerous in town riding. I was riding over to Spyke's apt one night and watched a guy crossing the street get run over by a Volvo........seriously.
:2eek :eek: @ being eyewitness to a person getting run over!

Yeah, I think it's better i stay out here by thomasville for now, and maybe if i travel inwards, over to the tallahassee mall area...that gives me enough town situations to practice in/get comfortable with without being on tennessee, pensacola, or that nasty jackson bluff (i feel sorry for any bike rider living on that road, they have repairing it with no end in sight since what? 98?)

Over here i have the country kinda empty road (thomasville when you headed to georgia, and north monroe headed north of I-10), the back roads (these residential side streets off the street i live on), the highway (the little piece of I-10 that connects me to tallahassee mall) and a popular (higher traffic) zone (north monroe by the mall).

I think mastering those areas will get me plenty ready for riding to school in the fall...and i can't wait to be ready for a long distance trip! :locked

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2_wheeled_slave said:
Nice job! I always assumed you've rode in traffic. I come from a much smaller town, but unfortunately, there are idiot drivers everywhere (although in smaller percentages). I know it must feel good to really get out there and ride!
lol. The only traffic i have had to deal with are the folks getting to a fast food restaurant and the plaza that the parking lot is attached to, and the ones shortcutting through the lot. So i've had to practice looking in my mirrors and behind me when turning or crossing into the plaza area between the 2 restaurants or whatever they are, because one second there will be no car, and next, someone is turning in off the road, or headed to the road through the lot. Nice practice pausing the bike to look both ways, etc. That was like a baby introduction to traffic, so that being on the road with other cars was not such a foreign experience...one guy thought my friend was a professional trainer, he stopped in the parking lot to talk about how he wants to ride and wants to get a bike and asking my friend if he could teach him!

And hardest with the traffic was expecting them to move through the lot so by the time i get to where they are, they are gone (cause if i stop then i have to go all the way back to first)...they all slow down and act like it's the scene of an accident! One time i was giving somebody the right of way til i realized they were too busy looking at the bike/me so I just moved off.

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ANd now i went to THOMASVILLE GA today (sunday) ....my friend took me on the back roads and i saw myself doing 70, 80, etc!!!! Blue skies, sun, empty back roads...heaven...it felt like floating at high speed...best day of my return to florida so far...then we took thomasville road back in, and i didn't do half bad in regular traffic! Just a little rough downshifting to a compete stop.

Some little girl looking out the back seat of her parents' truck looked at me and looked at my friend as we were coming up on a light and she must have realized i was a girl because she started staring and grinning like a cheshire cat. lol. Before we left some older lady saw us when we were just about to head out of my complex and said hello to my friend, then hello to me...did the double take thing when i said hello and she realized it was a female, and said, "you GO girl!" Lol.

I dreamt before i even got the bike that i was standing by my bike with a couple other riders either taking off my helmet cause we had just arrived somewhere or putting it on to gear up and roll out...and it came true today, at least in a group of just the two of us.

I can't believe we went out of town...he said i did VERY well today, and coming from him cause he's so hard on getting the training things right, and he's been riding for over 20 years, that's VERY good...

I actually screamed a little to myself in sheer excitement while riding behind him...he had told me before we left the signals he would use and what they mean (stop, shift up gears or speed up, shift down gears or slow down...) Man today's little adventure was...GORGEOUS...i have come down thomasville road countless times coming into town from atlanta and it is NOTHING in the car like it is on that bike...sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....... :D :D :D

·
Don't Mess With Texas
324 Posts
If you take US 27 Southeast (Apalachee Pkwy) to SR 59 and turn South in Jefferson County you will encounter several straightaways that are a few miles long so u can let it rip and the asphalt is nice and new and it hits US 98 and then come back to Tallahassee via St Marks/ Woodville.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts