Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ok, who farted?
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a gsxr 600 and i beleive that the bike came with a 175 rear tire, i decided to go with a 190 rear tire when it was time for a new tire. a lot of people have told me that it was a mistake and that i should be careful when taking curves because the bike is not made to have such a wide tire...is that correct? can anyone tell me what concerns i should have, and should i go back to a thinner tire? im not drag racing or anything, i usually use it for in town transportation, and i dont ride it everyday. its more of a pleasure vehicle to me. its my first bike and i figured that the more tread i have on the ground the better, but some tell me otherwise. any info will be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
you reduce your turn in by going up in size to a 190. i would ekkp the 180 on it or whatever is stock. You also are paying more money for less flickability. maybe you like the bling?

·
Registered
29 Posts
if you didn't change the rims to b***** ones that will take the 190 (I don't know about the stock), the profile and shape of the tire is not the one it was designed to and tested. the driveability of the tire can be anything from ok to very bad. But most likely worse than the original tiresize. Also the bike might be a little slower to tilt from side to side when riding.

·
Registered
62 Posts
stock size on an 03 GSXR 600 is 180. With the 190 you'll lose a lot in the handling dept. the bike's not gonna want to turn into a corner and will porbably be less stable in a corner. But if you don't ride hard now, you'll probablly be happy with the 190 cause you wont know any different. But in the future i'd recommend going back to the 180.

·
ok, who farted?
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys...im gonna take your advice and end up going to the 180 when the time comes to change out tires again.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
If you do decide to ride the bike hard,the tire can "roll" on you from side to side.

What happens when you put on a larger tire than the wheel is made for is,it causes the tire to be pinched(puf out).This in turn causes the roll in a hard lean.

Be carefull.

·
Registered
457 Posts
owner of my bike before me had a 190 tire on there.. it didn't stop me from cornering.. i was still able to corner better than my friends, but then i went with an 180 M1 Sportec.. man it was like going from masturbation to actual sex :D

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I went from a 170 up to a 180 on mine. I found that it actually turns in ALOT better. Seems to have a tighter radius in the corners.

·
Registered
646 Posts
MaxOwner said:
owner of my bike before me had a 190 tire on there.. it didn't stop me from cornering.. i was still able to corner better than my friends, but then i went with an 180 M1 Sportec.. man it was like going from masturbation to actual sex :D
Funniest thing I've read all week...I know its only monday, but man thats funny.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mr. Lesbian said:
I went from a 170 up to a 180 on mine. I found that it actually turns in ALOT better. Seems to have a tighter radius in the corners.
on a 5.5in rim you can use either 170 or 180......the 190 & 200 need a 6in rim for the right profile

·
Registered
6 Posts
rdracehack said:
stock size on an 03 GSXR 600 is 180. With the 190 you'll lose a lot in the handling dept. the bike's not gonna want to turn into a corner and will porbably be less stable in a corner. But if you don't ride hard now, you'll probablly be happy with the 190 cause you wont know any different. But in the future i'd recommend going back to the 180.
He is exactly right, If you don't ride hard (like drag the foot pegs) then you will never notice the difference (except in the pocket book), just cost more money for the 190

1 - 12 of 12 Posts