Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was after a friggin bike. 7 hours to Edmonton, slept for about 4, 3 hours to Calgary, 7 hours at the dealership, and 10 hours home.

and I own a 5th gen dark green VFR800 with heated grips, a gps mount and power supply, and a top case (be damned if they'd budge on a set of side cases).

Oh, and I added some new gear too. Dainese jacket (no comparison between it and my A* one), AGV GP tech helmet, Sidi Vertigo boots, and a Dainese back/chest protector that I already love to death.

I ended up choosing the VFR over the more expensive options so that I could add the gear. I really enjoyed riding the VFR as well (funny point, the 03 Sprint ST had the fuel pump pile up while we were getting ready to go out, and then, when replaced, wouldn't stay running during heavier throttle use. Also felt big, lazy, and vague compared to the Honda.

I knew I'd spend way too damn much as soon as I walked in. . .
No, but seriously, I'm not unhappy at all so far. Didn't get anyone to go with me, so I haven't ridden the bike too much yet. that's this weekends job.

only thing I really dislike is the fact that they had Q2s thrown on. I'm gonna be through those damn aggressive things in a matter of weeks.

Pictures, write up, etc, coming after I sleep. all told, in the last 36 hours, I have spent all of perhaps 13 outside of my truck cab. and most of that "non driving" time was spent trying gear on and yakking at sales and finance guys at a dealership.
Oh, and the F4i has someone lined up to paint the track fairings when I am done this hotel I'm building too (which, by the way, I should get a raise out of).

Edit:
Some photos, sans top case:

This one is just for serpentracer. the trip was reset when I bought the bike in Calgary and trucked it home. we'll see how high it gets before the season is over.

There is nothing that says sexy like a single sided swingarm.
Except a single sided swingarm, with an undertail exhaust. it'll happen, mark my words.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
phone cam is hooched. lens is scratched to hell and back. gonna have to track down a real camera. heh.

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
Sounds like a fun 28+ hours. Congrats on the new ride!

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has been incredibly fun. I still ain't gone to bed.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Grats, man. A FI, gear driven cammed, V4 all arounder. What's not to like? Hit up vfrd and/or vfr world for popular mods/fixes, etc. Pretty sure dark green is custom color...

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It's been down, but certainly doesn't look heavily.the Honda graphics are still there on the fairings.
Idle sits at 1,000 even right now, little on the lumpy side. will pull a front plug when I get the chance and see about it.
quick search online also yields that I probably need to run some injector cleaner through it. bike has a slight tick when warm.

You know it's a pred vehicle when I am contemplating ripping it apart before it's even registered. it's a friggin compulsion. :D

·
The American Stig!
317 Posts
The lumpy idle is normal on a VFR. Check the plugs just as a precaution, but the v4 is a much more "alive" engine than the inline.

I'm shopping for a clean 6th gen again. I just can't stay away! Hands down, the 6th gen and older VFRs are my favorite bikes.

Don't tell my z1000....

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stealing a camera before I fuck off back to alberta.

Currently seeing if I can take an aftermarket undertail system for a 6th gen VFR800, and repurpose it for a 5th gen. Because I really want an undertail exhaust.
really.

Reviews for the gear will be linked with photos when I get the chance to do it all up here right away.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New photos up in the first post, and the gear photos in this one. no time for the reviews yet, but I am sure you all know what I am gonna say about it anyway (minus the gloves)

Sidi Vertigo boots:

A* street gloves (bought to tide me over till my SP1s, jacket, and old helmet get shipped back to me from Calgary where I left em). Gonna keep em as spares, just in case I ever need something.

I seriously fucking love this helmet.

Top half of my power ranger suit. that back/chest protector makes a guy feel like Iron Man. seriously.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Currently seeing if I can take an aftermarket undertail system for a 6th gen VFR800, and repurpose it for a 5th gen. Because I really want an undertail exhaust.
really.
I've read around and can say showing that SSA off is going to take a good bit of work on a 5th gen... Though, it has been done. (My research doesn't indicate by whom, though.)

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From what I have read, I'll either need a set of headers and a full custom piping setup to the cans, or, I might be able to use a 6th gen full system. Dunno about that for sure though.
The sub frame has to have a heat shield fabbed in, and the wiring inside has to be moved around. Then a license plate bracket made, and hangers for the cans.
It sure isn't a small job. I'm gonna try to track down someone who has done it recently and see if they have any ki d of plan or blueprint.
That's probably not happening, but it might be possible. If I did find one, life gets easier.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Congrats, I've always been curious about those bikes. I tried the new 1200 but just wasn't crazy about it. I think the 800 would be right up my alley.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I know a guy that toured around the USA for a month on a viffer and loved it. I hear very good things... Good score on the gear too!

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Congrats!

Every once in a while I stumble onto one of those sweet red, white, & blue 2007's for sale.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts