Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those are my daughter's words of this morning at the breakfast table. So I figured I'd post an update of her status. As most of you know, Sierra is 8 years old and suffered a terrible crash on her PW80 April 17th. Two surgeries and 4 pins later she is still chomping at the bit to rock on the race track!!!! :egrin
She had her cast removed yesterday, but she is still far from being healed. She has just enough bone to warrant cast removal. The reason why it is so soon is her elbow. Imagine sitting with your legs crossed for a month and then trying to stand up. Her elbow is stiff and she needs to start moving it. As it is right now, she can't straighten it nor can she bend it. The goal is to get some movement back into it. The scary part is that one good fall and we start over. It's like a raw egg...strong enough to handle with care, but if dropped it will shatter...
With a smile at breakfast she said, "my goal for now is to get my arm healed up so I can get back on my bike. I want to get on and just ride, I don't want to be Rossi this year. But my goal for next year is to get out to Sugar River. Next year I want to race."
That kid ROCKS!!!! So, anyone looking for inspiration? Here she is...Her name is Sierra and watch out because before you know it she'll be out there kicking ass and taking names!!!! :lol

Here are some pics for ya. One of her classmate's Mom was the X-Ray Tech that took her X-Rays the day of her accident, so I am able to show you all EXACTLY what that arm looked like. Then I have pictures of the surgical sites where the pins were actually protruding through the skin. And then finally a picture of her on the PW....waiting to be able to turn the throttle again!!!

BTW...can you tell I am EXTREMELY proud??? :lol

Attachments

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and just as a guide, on the first X-Ray there isn't supposed to be that big "chunk" to the left of the lower arm...that is supposed to be one smooth connection. That "chunk" is the end of her humerus.
The second X-Ray is hard to see, but again, that is supposed to be a straight line, the little "chunk" on the right by the bend is again her broken humerus. Not the best, but you can definitely see how bad the break really was.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Good for her, she's such a trooper! So dedicated to motorcycles, you must be one proud mama!! It's great to see her want to get back on, after all she's been through. Most people, especially kids, would have hung it up after an experience like that. Sierra is certainly an inpiration to me... to get back on after falling off!!

·
Are we not men?
9,011 Posts
Sorry about her wreck, but it seems she has a great attitude towards it. Get well soon and get back at it!

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Wow, you are not the least bit concerned about putting her back on a bike after a fall like that? How did she break the arm?

I am glad her spirit isn't broken at all though, that's the kind of toughness she'll need to ride a bike. She and her mummy are quite fearless inspirations to women everywhere who like life on 2 wheels.

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I look at it the same as life...Could she get hit by a car crossing the street? YES. But am I going to keep her in the house for the rest of her life? NO. Risk is a part of every day life, it doesn't mean we are going to quit living. We just learn from life and move on.
She's just like her mom...strong, determined and VERY stubborn!!!! :)
She was riding her dirtbike, went too fast, lost control and the final result was a horrific highside. All because she didn't want ME to pass her!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!! We are going to work on tempering that attitude until she develops more skill. Once she has a better skillset then she can be competitive...she just hates to "lose".

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
blndebmbr said:
I look at it the same as life...Could she get hit by a car crossing the street? YES. But am I going to keep her in the house for the rest of her life? NO. Risk is a part of every day life, it doesn't mean we are going to quit living. We just learn from life and move on.
+1!!!!!!!

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brownilus said:
Wow she was trying to beat YOU? That is just funny for some reason, lol!

(did she?) lol....
Well I suppose she did...once she crashed I stopped and threw the bike down...I guess she did get further than I did on that last lap!!! :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
804 Posts
Thanks for the update and the pics.......

·
That's factory, yo!
3,666 Posts
Wow Tammy - That's great news to hear that Sierra is in such good spirits. Please send my VERY best to her and tell her I am really proud of her determination.

Also, maybe it's time to show her the part of FASTER featuring John Hopkins as a youngster...

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Murf99 said:
Wow Tammy - That's great news to hear that Sierra is in such good spirits. Please send my VERY best to her and tell her I am really proud of her determination.

Also, maybe it's time to show her the part of FASTER featuring John Hopkins as a youngster...

She's seen it!!! :lol
Thanks Todd!!! Here's hoping your day at RA is all you want it to be!!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
VERY COOL little girl you have there! and super cute to boot! i see the same attitude in my daughter....sometimes i'm so happy that she's like that...but then i think of all the trouble it's gonna get her in!! :eek:nfloor

ahh well, live and learn...like you said....

glad sierra is doing good and hope she recovers 100%....and since attitude counts for alot of the healing process i'm sure she'll be back on 2 wheels in no time at all!!

GO SIERRA!!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
That is such good news blndebmbr! I'm glad she's feeling better. All I could think was she would be scared to get back in the saddle and that, that cast had to ITCH!! oooooh! I'm so happy she's doing better!!

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm doing it!!!! I have pics coming in the mail...hopefully I'll have them today when Ii get home!!! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts