Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is why newbies shouldn't get liter bikes...

Bad crash in Sherwood - who?

A co-worker/witness saw a pretty incredible crash last night in
Sherwood. He was sitting at a stoplight across from the Circle K gas station when two motorcyclists pulled up in the left turn lane. One was an older motorcycle and the other was a Honda literbike, he thinks, red and black, with a side pipe, perfect condition. My friend exchanged "nice bike" comments with the Honda rider, then the turn arrow went to green. The older bike starts around the corner and the Honda rev'd hard to apparently go around the older bike.

Midcorner the front wheel came up and at that point the rider lost control, keeping his hand in the throttle. The bike wheelied into the 3 foot berm across the intersection between the street and the sidewalk, launched, hit the Circle K parking lot and never slowed down. He blasted through the plate glass window in the minimart and careened into the wall between the restrooms, leaving a helmet dent quite high up. The bike was completley totalled.

He was blue and unconscious. The paramedics were still working on him after my friend gave the police a report.

Does anyone know who this was, and if he survived? I am praying he made it.
Motorcycle hurtles into store; man dies

Police say neither drugs nor alcohol were involved in the 26-year-old's crash

Friday, August 06, 2004
PATRICK HARRINGTON

SHERWOOD -- A 26-year-old man died late Wednesday after crashing his motorcycle through the front glass of a Circle K store.

The crash probably was caused by the driver's inexperience, and neither alcohol nor drugs played a role, said Detective Sgt. Dwight Onchi, a Sherwood police spokesman. The driver, Bradley J. Guthrie of Tigard, bought the motorcycle three weeks before the accident, Onchi said.

Witnesses said that when the Honda crashed into the building at 15900 S.W. Tualatin-Sherwood Road about 10 p.m., it sounded as though the engine was at full throttle. They estimated the motorcycle was going as fast as 50 mph.

When the motorcycle hit the store, Onchi said, it hurled glass shards through the store with such force that they shattered glass refrigerator doors across the room.

Guthrie remained on the motorcycle as it hurtled through the store and drove him into a wall, Onchi said. "It pretty much demolished everything in its path." Guthrie was pronounced dead at the scene.

The crash occurred after Guthrie and another man on a motorcycle drove from a commercial complex across the street from the store and attempted to turn left onto Tualatin-Sherwood Road, Onchi said. They had just finished eating at KFC, he said.

Guthrie missed the turn and rode through an area under construction, then over a ditch. "The motorcycle jumped that ditch and popped back onto the asphalt," Onchi said. "Why he didn't fall there is beyond us."

The ditch is 4 or 5 feet deep and as wide as 19 feet, Onchi said. "He actually accelerated over it."

People were shopping in the store at the time of the crash, Onchi said. "Fortunately no one was struck by glass shards."

A spokesman for Circle K in Houston did not return a phone message Thursday.

Patrick Harrington: 503-294-5968; [email protected]

http://www.oregonlive.com/metrosout...17935507660.xml

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
poor guy RIP... and even if you take the MSF, when ya panic, ya panic.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Size of the bike doesn't really matter in my opinion. The mentioned crashes could and DO happen on 600cc bikes as well as 1000cc bikes. I'm relatively new to riding (about two years) and I ride a 1000cc bike. While it's not insane fast like todays R1, I have a HUGE respect for the bike and know my riding skills aren't on the level to be pushing the speed. The Fizzer can still kick my arsh at any given moment. Take it slow, know your limitations, don't show off, and you'll be just fine on a 1000cc.

<< KNOCK WOOD >>

Take care!

·
Banned
72 Posts
neutom72 said:
Size of the bike doesn't really matter in my opinion. The mentioned crashes could and DO happen on 600cc bikes as well as 1000cc bikes. I'm relatively new to riding (about two years) and I ride a 1000cc bike. While it's not insane fast like todays R1, I have a HUGE respect for the bike and know my riding skills aren't on the level to be pushing the speed. The Fizzer can still kick my arsh at any given moment. Take it slow, know your limitations, don't show off, and you'll be just fine on a 1000cc.

<< KNOCK WOOD >>

Take care!
tell that to RacerXXX! he seem to know everyone is the same.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Inexperiance is just that inexperiance. The difference being that a small "ham fist" mistake on a 600....you may get away with it. On a liter bike, the effects of the same small mistake are USUALLY much more pronounced and you are less likely to get away with it.

Does size make a difference in this case....maybe, who really knows. The guy is dead...most likely due to a rookie mistake. Thats the part that counts.

You can't make blanket statements and be right all the time. Point is...a literbike is generally regarded as not the best idea as a first bike. The more riders that get training the better (in my opinion). Hopefully we will see less stories in the news like this one.

Peace

·
Registered
60 Posts
neutom72 said:
Size of the bike doesn't really matter in my opinion.
I totally disagree. It's all about the powerband. With the 600s, riding at about 4-6 grand is almost like having the safety on a gun. Sure, you can still accelerate, but not hard enough to make you panic. If you really are sure that you want to accelerate, you have to downshift first, removing the metaphorical safety.

With a Hayabusa or some of the other litre bikes the power band starts at 3 or 4 grand. If you're not riding with your wrist down you can get into trouble at any time.

I've only logged a few hours on 600s, so maybe I don't have this totally right, but that's the impression I have.

·
Banned
72 Posts
XRedJar said:
Inexperiance is just that inexperiance. The difference being that a small "ham fist" mistake on a 600....you may get away with it. On a liter bike, the effects of the same small mistake are USUALLY much more pronounced and you are less likely to get away with it.

Does size make a difference in this case....maybe, who really knows. The guy is dead...most likely due to a rookie mistake. Thats the part that counts.

You can't make blanket statements and be right all the time. Point is...a literbike is generally regarded as not the best idea as a first bike. The more riders that get training the better (in my opinion). Hopefully we will see less stories in the news like this one.
Peace
why make such a statement if it's 50/50 chance right?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Accelerated over a ditch??! Damn. And now he's gone. Sucks like no other. RIP man.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
The accident would have happened on a 600 or a liter bike. Sounds like he just paniced and thought what he was doing was the best at the time. Unfortantely, it wasn't the right decision.

R.I.P.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.