Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m riding home form work tonight around 11:30PM tonight, there wasn’t much traffic out so I’m practicing launching form the stop lights. I’m giving as much throttle as I can without the front coming up more then a few inches. Well on the 3rd light I get the RPMS up to I think 6K, don’t know for sure because I was just going by feel and sound on what seemed to work the best. It seemed like I had a pretty good launch gong and right as I let the clutch fully engage, about a full second or 2 into the launch I get tire spinning feeling then WAM, hella traction again.

If felt like a tire spun for about a ½ a revolution only I know the tire didn’t spin. So that means either my clutch slipped (which I’m sure it didn’t) or my chain slipped a tooth.

When I got home I looked and my chain and it definitely needs tightening but doesn’t look loose enough to skip a tooth. I would say maybe 1 ¾ of play max. I think 1” is what’s recommended. Anyone else ever have a chain slip like that? I’m also sure it wasn’t my bike slipping out of 1st gear for a second, I have had other bikes do that before and this was a different feeling. Also my 954 has NEVER miss shifted or popped out of any gear ever so I’m thinking it had to be the chain.

I still have the stock steel sprockets on so I’m thinking there pretty hard to damage. The rear looked fine and I can’t see the front unless I take off a cover. Just wanted some thoughts on the subject.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
maybe it was the tire hittin a slick spot or a cold patch of road? i doubt it was a skipped tooth, but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I've only had a chain slip on a dirtbike or two but the sprockets & chain were pretty well worn out and it sounded/felt like the bike was eating it's self up.

Just make sure your chain isn't streched beyond specs/"O" rings/bushings ok and both sprockets are in good condition then adjust chain to proper specs for your bike.

If it were slipping a tooth it will only get worse and more dangerous and more likely than not will slip on the front spocket first/more because of the size and torque going to it.

Believe me now and here me later if it's the chain/sprockets please fix it A.S.A.P. as you DO NOT want the chain slipping off and possibly locking up your rear wheel.

A buddy of mine had a rear wheel lock-up after his chain snapped at about 40-45 m.p.h.. He was lucky as he was on a straight-away and was slowing to turn into a parking lot.
Not only did it lock-up the wheel ,but to make matters worse as the chain came around the front sprocket it slapped the tranny case putting a hole in it and dumped OIL right in front of the rear tire!

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
coolatula said:
A buddy of mine had a rear wheel lock-up after his chain snapped at about 40-45 m.p.h.. He was lucky as he was on a straight-away and was slowing to turn into a parking lot.
Not only did it lock-up the wheel ,but to make matters worse as the chain came around the front sprocket it slapped the tranny case putting a hole in it and dumped OIL right in front of the rear tire!
I guess stunting is good for something... Stoppie Time...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts