Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fired up the fizzer today and put all the fairings and stuff back on after a tire/chain/and gears change and went for a 40 mile ride. At the end of it I felt beat. I thought it was uncomfortable and buzzy and way to tempting to speed on (i saw another cop...a state boy this time...on the same road i got the ticket on...i was going the limit and nodded at him lol). I've ridden cruisers on a few occasions and loved it everytime. Ive really only ridden HD's and now I'm thinking about selling the fzr and getting like a 2005 sportster 1200 custom. Insurance is was cheaper (i can go full coverage for 80 a month compared to 60 a month liability on the fzr also hd is half the insurance cost of a vtx 1300c) and have a 2 yr warranty only thing is fzr is paid off and hd would be financed. What do you guys think? Any opinions?

Dan

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
If you don't find it enjoyable to be on a sportbike- ride something else. You already know what to do, and theres no reason asking us. Cruisers make you happy. Different strokes for different folks. No one will think any less or more of you, except posers from both camps.

Be happy you aren't an image rider, and have fun being relaxed and free.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Try out the FZ6, before you go all in on a straight cruiser. Might give you another dimension to consider. Just my HO. Good luck in finding your right ride.:cheers

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
There are only 2 cruisers that I've seen that I would own as my only bike. After riding sportbikes, I don't think I could go with a normal cruiser. The Triumph Rocket III and the HD Street Rod would be the only 2, and that's leaning heavily on the Rocket. The Rod looks badass, but I really wouldn't want to own a HD like EVERYONE around here does. Seriously, there are more HD's around here than Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki put together, and that is no shit. That includes all the metric cruisers too, not just sportbikes. I will give HD credit though, they are headed in the right direction with the street rod.

The Rocket III looks awesome though, I don't really love the design, but it sure looks different. The main thing is the power. The damn bike has 2x the torque my RC does, and IIRC, it makes most of it before 2500rpms!!!!!!!!!! Talk about a powerband!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Why can't you have both?? I don't know your finance's but if you can swing it, why not??

·
Enlightened
771 Posts
One of these days I'll probably get a cruiser of some sort. Right now the only cruiser I would consider (if Honda decides to produce it) is the techno cruiser:

Or maybe if some manufacturer produces a bike similar to the G-strider:

·
Registered
318 Posts
BSR423 said:
I will probably have one of these in my garage when I'm 40 or so...
Man, ouch. Old guys bikes, huh?

Every once in a while a cruiser sounds nice, but I just know I will miss riding a sportbike the first sweeping corner I hit!

If a cruiser is what you want, GET IT! Hey, just don't forget to wave at us or we will be on here crying about you hurting our feelings..... :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am considering getting a Honda Shadow Spirit 750. They are nice, my dad has one and I have gotten the chance to ride it a few times and was quite impressed.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Test ride the Sportster first. Most HD dealers will let you take one out for a while.

I planned on getting a cruiser to compliment my SV last summer. But then I test rode a few and didn't like the long wheelbase and slower turning.

·
Registered
353 Posts
djt81185 said:
Fired up the fizzer today and put all the fairings and stuff back on after a tire/chain/and gears change and went for a 40 mile ride. At the end of it I felt beat. I thought it was uncomfortable and buzzy and way to tempting to speed on (i saw another cop...a state boy this time...on the same road i got the ticket on...i was going the limit and nodded at him lol). I've ridden cruisers on a few occasions and loved it everytime. Ive really only ridden HD's and now I'm thinking about selling the fzr and getting like a 2005 sportster 1200 custom. Insurance is was cheaper (i can go full coverage for 80 a month compared to 60 a month liability on the fzr also hd is half the insurance cost of a vtx 1300c) and have a 2 yr warranty only thing is fzr is paid off and hd would be financed. What do you guys think? Any opinions?

Dan
I won't be one to talk you out of it...

Actually, I'd do the opposite.

The rubber mounted Sportsters are really nice bikes. They're vibration free at and above freeway speeds, handle nicely for a cruiser, and have limitless customization options.

The 1200 Custom has a lot more chrome than the 883 does, as well as the blacked out engine, which I don't like that much, but many do. Also, the 1200 has the same heads as the Buell XB's, and they're the best air cooled heads ever to come out of Milwaukee.

Change the exhaust to a nice 2-1, rejet the carb, get a high flow air cleaner (Hurricane Flow from Nallin or the Screamin' Eagle), and change the cams to the .551" lift 249* duration SE bolt-in cams and you've got a bike making 85 HP/ 80 lbs TQ at the back wheel. It's not sportbike fast, but it'll smoke any other V-twin cruiser out there.

Another advantage is the Sportster doesn't have the relaxed geometry that a lot of other cruisers have, so it's still fairly nimble and easy to ride on the fun roads. Going from my bike to my Dad's VLX, you can really feel the difference in how 'flickable' the XL is.

I'd say go test ride one. When you do, keep in mind that from the factory, the exhaust is very restrictive and the carb is tuned fairly lean to keep the EPA happy. "Paying the Harley Tax", which is the exhaust/AC/re-jet really wakes these bikes up.

Good luck in whatever direction you go.

One more plus... The cops that gave you dirty looks on the sportbike will wave at the Harley. I never get any suspicious looks from cops, even when I'm riding a bit "spirited".

1 - 20 of 38 Posts