Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2007 zzr600 starts to sputter after 2nd gear at 6k to 8k. 1rst gear runs just fine. When I'm on the highway I feel like I have no acceleration, I'll give it 100% throttle and it barely budges, keeps me at 60-70mph.
So....
Here's what might have caused this: I bought some engine/carb cleaner from autozone and I put some in the tank without measuring, but only about 1/3 each time, in the span of a month(bottle was just sitting there,I would only use it when I walked by it) small bottle btw, about the size of a soda bottle. And the last time I used it, about 3days ago, I decided to pour the rest in a half tank of gas. I use the bike everyday, but it sat yesterday, and today i noticed the sputter.
Or...
I watched a video on wheelies, thought it would be cool to just lift the front tire a bit, so I practiced trying a few times, only got the tire off a few inches but the bike jerked A LOT throughout this "practice." So could something have come loose?

And yes I'm an idiot.. Lol
:shrug

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
What brand of carb cleaner did you put into the fuel? Chemtool B-12 or Seafoam are the only two that I put into my gas tank. Perhaps your carbs could use a good cleaning. Aren't you new to bikes? Wheelies, Ugh, when you dump the ZZR then you will really feel like the idiot that you say you are.

Reactions: Jcab594

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
So my 2007 zzr600 starts to sputter after 2nd gear at 6k to 8k. 1rst gear runs just fine. When I'm on the highway I feel like I have no acceleration, I'll give it 100% throttle and it barely budges, keeps me at 60-70mph.
So....
Here's what might have caused this: I bought some engine/carb cleaner from autozone and I put some in the tank without measuring, but only about 1/3 each time, in the span of a month(bottle was just sitting there,I would only use it when I walked by it) small bottle btw, about the size of a soda bottle. And the last time I used it, about 3days ago, I decided to pour the rest in a half tank of gas. I use the bike everyday, but it sat yesterday, and today i noticed the sputter.
Or...
I watched a video on wheelies, thought it would be cool to just lift the front tire a bit, so I practiced trying a few times, only got the tire off a few inches but the bike jerked A LOT throughout this "practice." So could something have come loose?

I don't think anything you've done has harmed anything, but you probably haven't gotten to the source of your problem, either.

Fill the tank to dilute whatever gunk you put in there, and burn through that tank. Meanwhile put together some more specific notes on the problem so we can help you. When did this start? How long have you had the bike? What happens in third gear at 6-8k? Second at 10-12k?

There's no clear reaon that the engine should behave differently in one gear than another - some very new bikes have gear-specific ignition and fuel maps, but yours doesn't.

Why do you think this is a fuel issue rather than ignition of air? When's the last time the air filter was changed?

KeS

·
Registered
5 Posts
Before you do anything! Drain the gas and put fresh from the pump stuff in. There's a very good chance this will save you a lot of time and curse words.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ZzRocket- I used techron concentrate plus fuel system cleaner. Yes I am new to bikes and that was a stupid decision to mess around like that, I know. Just for the record, I was youtube surfing and randomly came across it, wasn't something I was looking into. I'm not planning on trying that anymore, I really felt the bikes power and stopped. Which is why I thought something might have came loose, because of the sudden jerks when trying. Idk.

Kevin_stevens- I should've been a lil more detailed, sorry. So first gear is fine, but after 2nd gear, including all higher gears up to 6th, after or around 6k I start to feel like its not getting fuel, or not accelerating. The bike sputters and tries to push itself, and although it will gradually go up in speed with the throttle fully engaged, the sputtering gets worse. I did reach 80 on the highway but it was +/-, I had to keep playing with the throttle. This just started yesterday, although I swear I was feeling it sputter a tad bit Friday coming from work, but I couldn't really make it out with the vibration and wind on the highway. I've had this bike since April of this year, miles were 8500, now I'm close to 11,000 with No past issues. I did clean out the filthy filter the first week I got it, haven't changed the oil yet, I run 91 gas and have always treated it like royalty till the stupid wheelie thing. Oh and I siphoned the gas yesterday, and filled the tank up, which usually 10,11 bucks does it, this time 15 filled it. Same symptoms, the bike still sputters, but not as bad. Should I physically take the tank off and dump, bc I might have left some gas through the siphon process :shrug

Thanks guys I wanna punch myself in the face haha.
I might try and change the spark plugs, since I'm pretty sure they may be the stock ones. I will look for a sticky to clean the carbs but if you have any help tips/link handy please post them. Thanks again :facepalm

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I think I may have found the problem! After removing the air box, the hose that looks like a field goal post lol, well one side was not inserted into where the carbs are, the male hose was torn off. My terminology sucks, but that's the best I can explain it. I'm trying to rig something, what's that piece called? Thanks :eek:mg:bowdown

Attachments

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
It has been a long time since I owned a ZZR600 and I did fool with the carbs ( No way to avoid it) but IIRC, that is a vacuum hose that equalizes the pressure between the 2 and 3 carbs. The carbs work by pressure differential so if they are not connected, one will draw more fuel then the other, which will give you unequal firing pulses. A Small engine like a 600 will suffer enormous power loss if things are working against each other instead of together. There are many ways to 'fix' a split hose 'if' you can't find a new one. None of them work as well as an OEM hose but they will work well enough to tell if that is your problem.
I am not sure but I seem to remember that the ZZR uses unequal length intake runners to produce more top end power from the Ram Air. I think the longer runners are the 2&3.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has been a long time since I owned a ZZR600 and I did fool with the carbs ( No way to avoid it) but IIRC, that is a vacuum hose that equalizes the pressure between the 2 and 3 carbs. The carbs work by pressure differential so if they are not connected, one will draw more fuel then the other, which will give you unequal firing pulses. A Small engine like a 600 will suffer enormous power loss if things are working against each other instead of together. There are many ways to 'fix' a split hose 'if' you can't find a new one. None of them work as well as an OEM hose but they will work well enough to tell if that is your problem.
I am not sure but I seem to remember that the ZZR uses unequal length intake runners to produce more top end power from the Ram Air. I think the longer runners are the 2&3.
Thank you sir, I fixed it though. So I cut 1/2 inch off a point from a calking gun that was tapered. It fit like a charm. I changed the spark plugs too, that was hard bc I couldn't get the boots off, but it all worked out in the end. I took my baby for a spin and HOLY SMOKES, it feels awesome!

Zzrocket- I also reported and flagged that youtube video for wheelies! Lol :bighug I always appreciate your comments brotha. I swear on my mother that I will never try that shit anymore. Haha seriously. That's what probably tore the damn vacuum hose.
Anyway thanks again guys, this forum is awesome.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I figured it had to be somthing wrong with the air vent system because the bike won't run over 60-70 MPH if any of the vent system components are loose or missing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So....
Or...

I'm experiencing the same exact problem. My 08 zzr600 has 8400 miles on it. I got into an accident in october 2019 and decided to repair everything on my own. Now I take it for a ride and it sputters and bogs on acceleration. It feels like there is no fuel getting to the system. Aside from the body work and electrical work I did, the mechanical things I changed were oil/oil filter, stator cap, air filter, tires. After experiencing this problem, I changed my fuel filter (although it was working before the accident, but still needed changing) and I tested my fuel pump, fuel pump relay, pickup coils, spark plugs, and ecu!! All of them are functioning as they should. Originally I thought it may be the carburetor, but I do not think that is the case. Any advice is appreciated

·
Registered
208 Posts
Did you read the last few posts in this thread? Check the equalizing hose between the carbs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes I did. I've checked the hose. I've checked all vacuum hoses. Only thing I did not check was the carbs. The bike has been sitting there since October so it may be dirty. I did not check the carbs because a mechanic was telling me the issue isnt the carbs. But what else could it be if it's not the carbs ? I inspected almost everything else

·
Registered
208 Posts
Double check that the vent line to the tank isn't crimped. Is it a vacuum petcock? Those can sometimes cause issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No tubes are kinked or stretched. I do not think it's a vacuum petcock. Dirty carburetors would cause the problems I'm experiencing wouldnt they?

Btw thank you for your responses/help. I appreciate that

·
Registered
208 Posts
Dirty carbs could, but I'm honestly not knowledgeable on carbs at this point. Everything I've had since '03 has been EFI except a scooter.

Air

Fuel

Spark

What haven't you checked in those categories? You don't mention the air filter. Is it possible that during the down time a mouse made a nest in the air box or snorkel?

How do the plug wires look? Any sign of shorting against metal or corrosion in the plug wells?

Is there an in-tank tea bag type filter or just the inline one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's odd because I checked those 3 categories thoroughly. I changed my air filter. It wasnt even that dirty but I put an oem air filter and I cleaned the airbox. I made sure no dirt or anything entered the carbs. I inspected my spark plugs. They are in good shape as they should be considering the bike mileage is so low. So now the fuel.... I emptied the gas tank and put fresh gas for starters. The old gas still looked very clean but I did this thinking it was going to be shit since I never added stabilizer before the winter. I also changed my fuel filter and tested my fuel pump and fuel pump relay. The carbs are the only thing I did not touch

·
Registered
208 Posts
Are you sure you did everything right on the stator? The bike is possibly starving for fuel, possibly starving for air or possibly starving for spark as demand/load increases.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts