Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to sell my winter car (91 Eclipse) on various DSM message boards and I got this in my email today....

"Dear seller , I am interested in buying your advertise goods(Mitsubishi Eclipse)
which was posted for sale ,i will like to know the
selling price of the goods and the present condition of it also i will like to
let you know that i have a shipping company that do takes cares of my goods
they will be responsible for the picking up of the it immediately will seal the
transaction and i will also like to inform you that i have a client that will
pay on behalf of me with a certiified cashier cheque.i will be looking forward
to read from you as early as
possible .
Best regards"

looked up the IP and it is from the Netherlands........I replied but I about 99% sure its the old scam.....what do you all think?

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
ummmm I don't think so. I'd run, not walk. That's just to creepy for me. If he wants the car, he needs to get it himself, and present a drivers license and cash or check that will have to clear first before handing over the keys... yikes!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I dont get the scam. Someone is going to hand you a cashiers check? How are they scamming you

·
Registered
376 Posts
arma said:
I dont get the scam. Someone is going to hand you a cashiers check? How are they scamming you
They do this all the time. Either the check is counterfit or a bad international check. They bet on the fact that you will send them the car or whatever the item is before the check clears. Happens all the time :(

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yep, scam... they pay with a bogus check...

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Yup, scam.

Avoid at all costs.

·
Hayabusa Abuser
39 Posts
I had a similar offer for my Mitsubishi 3000 VR4 that I offered online in January. The guy said the same BS, that he had a client who would send me a cashier's check. Then he sent an e-mail saying the check would be for more than the asking price and I was supposed to send the difference by Western Union to another guy to pay for transporting the vehicle to the new owner. Sure enough, a couple of days later the check arrives. I have to go to a new job, but I tell my wife not to write a check until the bank says the check has cleared. Here's the problem...the check will be cleared by the bank in 3-5 days, as long as you have enough money in your account to cover the check. It can take up to a month to certify that a cashier' check is good or not. We got the FBI (wire fraud) and the Western Union detectives involved. It turned out that the address was just a postal drop box, and the money would have been routed to some place in Africa. This is a total scam and you need to contact the FBI at once. Let's put these assholes out of business.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MFFJM2 I agree completely......

Defenitly a scam....I got his IP address out of the netherlands
and am going to try to forward to the FBI......anyplace specific I should go?
This is what I recieved today:
Thanks for the mail , the price is okay by my client and i amready to purchase
from you immediately, i will offer you $750 for the Mitsubishi Eclipse. and i
want you to delete the ad from the website,i have a reputable shipper in london
that will take care of shipping from your end i want to let you know i have an
associate in the state that is oweing me a sum of $5,000 , i will instruct him
to issue you a certified ashier's cheque on my behalf and as soon as cheque
arrives, you hold out your amount and send the difference to my shipper in
london for thepick up in your place, i hope i can trust you for my balance and
alsoyou will be contacting my shipper with all neccesary information needed for pick up in your place i.e the actual weight and exact dimension of the
Mitsubishi Eclipse.. if this terms are okay by you, do get back to me with the
following details like this
Home Address...Full Name on cheque...
State... Zipcode...Country...
T! elephone Number...
Mobilephone number...
Fax Number...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I reported the incident to the FBI and this situation may benefit me as I will be applying to the FBI after I graduate with my degree in Economic Crime Investigation. Never hurts to get your name in their in a positive manner.

·
Registered
519 Posts
thats a generic email,...yes its a scam, i got tons of them selling various things over the last 2 years

1 - 13 of 13 Posts