Sport Bikes banner

I saw something that made me say hmmmm...

3K views 54 replies 24 participants last post by  L8 Braker 
#1 · (Edited)
I was out and happen to see a sportbiker...Now, this SB'r was in a crash not too long ago that left this person pretty road rashed, and that's an understatement...So, anyway, here this person is, all healed up, riding again...With nothing on but a short sleeve and a helmet...

I guess some people never learn...

#3 ·
I honestly think that if he wants to wear a t-shirt and ride that's his choice. DaPimp NEVER wears leathers on the Super rides. Does that place him in the same boat as the guy mentioned? He's wearing his lid, so he's protecting the most important thing on his body. Who's to say he has the money to spend on the gear? Maybe he's saving up for it. If he gets skinned again then that's the decision he made. He'll have to live w/ that. Just my .02 on this whole Jacket, pants, boot thing. Helmet is definitely a must though!!! :blowingup

#4 ·
Ride1Rob said:
I honestly think that if he wants to wear a t-shirt and ride that's his choice. DaPimp NEVER wears leathers on the Super rides. Does that place him in the same boat as the guy mentioned? He's wearing his lid, so he's protecting the most important thing on his body. Who's to say he has the money to spend on the gear? Maybe he's saving up for it. If he gets skinned again then that's the decision he made. He'll have to live w/ that. Just my .02 on this whole Jacket, pants, boot thing. Helmet is definitely a must though!!! :blowingup
+1
I got my fair share of road rash, and i make my decisions to wear the gear that i deam necisary....
My father has been on a bike ALL his life, he wears t-shirts and jeans, and <i>never</i> wears a lid...is he a squid???
hummm....feels like of 105 today....who is really going to wear a leather jacket for a trip around town???????

#6 ·
then theres me.. 30 mph into the right fender of s fu*&in ford tempo 10 ft up in the air slam down into the ground and walk away with a broken fibula and sore nutz.. not a speck of road rash. was wearing helmet "shoei" if i had not been wearing a helmet i would have sustained injury on the backside of my head. i suppose all in all it depends on the type of accident you are involved in ,, it IS a personal choice to wear gear.. and its also a personal choice to even ever ride again.. :)

#7 ·
Whenever I know that I am about to do some serious riding; I always suit up!! But when I am just going to the store or something like that I will leave the jacket at home. I never leave without the helment..

#8 · (Edited)
A-DALE 9 said:
Whenever I know that I am about to do some serious riding; I always suit up!! But when I am just going to the store or something like that I will leave the jacket at home. I never leave without the helment..

That's my point exactly. Just b/c certain peeps wear full leathers to go to the store, or just b/c they can afford that $300 jacket, or even that $150 jacket they figure everyone else can as well. Sometimes I think we flame for the wrong reasons. But how many would show up and tell Dan he's a squid b/c he doesn't wear his gear?

#9 ·
Ride1Rob said:
That's my point exactly. Just b/c certain peeps wear full leathers to go to the store, or just b/c they can afford that $300 jacket, or even that $150 everyone else can. Sometimes I think we flame for the wrong reasons. But how many would show up and tell Dan he's a squid b/c he doesn't wear his gear?
Could not agree more.

#10 ·
I went to bike night last night, I was the ONLY one wearing a jacket and probably the only one who sweated my ass off on the way there. Saw a lot of peeps there with no lids also. I think sweating my bum bum off was worth it, too many tourists in town during the summer b/c of all of the events in the summer. With all the people who die in Daytona every week from not wearing a lid you'd think some of the riders would get the hint.... If someone choses not to wear gear thats there decision, but I don't want to hear any whining when they go down.

#11 ·
No gear = squid
some gear = squid
full gear = no squid

If someone chooses to not wear gear (some or none) thats their choice. If they can't afford gear then there's something wrong with their priorities (how can you afford a bike that costs at least 3k and not afford gear that can cost less than 300?)

I admit that i'll squid it every once in a while, and when i do i wear at least jeans, closed toe shoes, full gauntlet gloves, and my helmet.

If someone wants to squid, let 'em. If they've gone down before without gear and they still want to squid, let 'em. Nothing you can say or do is gonna change how they ride, or what they wear. If they happen to go down again, maybe they'll learn that the "I want to look cool" excuse just doesn't cut it in the hospital. Whatever

#14 ·
it's the mindset that i don't need to wear gear because im oh so "good". Doesn't matter how good you are, you will go down.

You don't need to wear full leathers everytime you ride, there are many other options out there, but to sit there and honestly know what could happen to you if you went down and still choose to not wear anything, is just plain stupid.

If you think that gear really doesnt do anything try this: Stand up put your hands behind your back and fall forward, if that did'nt hurt enough try this: run down your street and slide into a curb (like you're stealing home). Now think about doing that at say 30,40,50,60,etc...

Do what you want to, the more squids that go down the more open road there will be for the rest of us.

#15 ·
dennisred69 said:
why are you a squid if you dont wear full leather some poeple dont want to wear full leather some like jeans and a t shirt and some of them can ride better than most people
I agree. Couldn't have said it better myself!

You can choose what you wear but you cant choose your injuries. You can be in full leathers and still come out with a few broken bones. I know there are some of you out there that know that first hand.

#16 ·
i do wear jeans and a leather jacket but i dont see why this bothers all you does it make a diffrence in your life if someone you dont know went down not wearing leather because it doesnt to me it there choice there road rash doesnt hurt me one bit thats all i was saying

#20 ·
Ride1Rob said:
But how many would show up and tell Dan he's a squid b/c he doesn't wear his gear?
I would, will, and do.
Riding hard in little Protection is a Squid move, no matter who you are.
The more experienced you are makes this move a Giant Squid move.

I think yall need to get laid or something. There seems to be alot of drama popping up lately... :a2

Jon was only saying that some people never learn....
He didn't say what to wear.

This is Florida and it is HOT.
So what can be expected?

Personally I feel;
A Helmet and Gloves are a must.
A jacket is recommended.
Full leathers when the time calls for it.

Scars are Scars if you don't mind'em or mind the pain, then it's all you.
It took a few spills before me to wear a jacket al the time.
Now I feel naked with out 1. The wind on my arm-hair feels weird.

Calm down peeps.
Hell let'em wear what they want Jon.
Sort'of like weeding the Gene-Pool.:lol

#21 ·
PimpsGirl said:
I agree. Couldn't have said it better myself!

You can choose what you wear but you cant choose your injuries. You can be in full leathers and still come out with a few broken bones. I know there are some of you out there that know that first hand.
Broken bones minus the road rash is better than both. I know from experience broken back, 3rd degree burns and road rash. Now that SUCKS. I could have done w/o the burn and road rash had I had a jacket on.

#22 · (Edited)
rdracehack said:
If someone chooses to not wear gear (some or none) thats their choice. If they can't afford gear then there's something wrong with their priorities (how can you afford a bike that costs at least 3k and not afford gear that can cost less than 300?)
So everyone that can afford a bike should be able buy a $300 jacket. Not talking about the ballistic bullshit that you'll still get skinned in. We're talking about a good leather jacket. It was almost 2yrs b/f I got mine. Could afford one but one of my bills wouldn't have gotten paid at that time. Guess since I couldn't afford the jacket it was stupid of me to get that damn bike. My bills got paid on time and my kids had more than enough food, candy, and toys. You may see that as "Top Priority" on your list. But others may deem that as something they'll get later. What about the guy that bought that said bike and that's his only means of transportation. He may have bought that bike for his own personal reasons(cheaper gas, can't afford a $300 car payment, maybe can't afford both car and bike so he chose the bike) We don't know other peoples financial status' and it's not fair to judge other bikers on something that's so petty. Who's to say you're not the guy Jon saw on your way to the corner store to buy some candy for your kids, or to buy that winning lotto ticket. And whose to say leather stops you from gettin' rash? I'm rashed up on my shoulder and elbow after going down this w/e. Definitely not near as bad but it still hurts.

#23 ·
dennisred69 said:
i do wear jeans and a leather jacket but i dont see why this bothers all you does it make a diffrence in your life if someone you dont know went down not wearing leather because it doesnt to me it there choice there road rash doesnt hurt me one bit thats all i was saying
It bothers you if you're in the EMS field... Then you get to deal with the families of the patient/rider and see the pain and suffering that person goes through...

#24 · (Edited)
SicFLgirlR6 said:
It bothers you if you're in the EMS field... Then you get to deal with the families of the patient/rider and see the pain and suffering that person goes through...

But it doesn't bother you as badly when you see a drunkin' driver that run through a family of 4. Kids 3 and 5 yrs. old that are struggling to survive. Or maybe that call from a stray bullet that hit the 2yr. old on the porch playing. That's okay to do deal w/ the families on as long as it's not road rash ha. Just as myself and a few others... you have a stressful job. If road rash is on your list as something hard to deal w/... you need to rethink your career options.

#25 ·
I'm not talking light road rash, I'm talking to the bone road rash like I had/have and I have seen happen to many others. Or burns from a bike flipping on top of you that burn thorugh every layer of skin on your back. I see my scars everyday and the remind me how lucky I am. The job is stressful, but when you see someone dead b/c they didn't have a helmet on or someone getting skin graphs all over their body b/c they wanted to ride in boardshorts it bothers you, it seems so selfish to put your family, friends and self through that. But hey thats just my opinion... Rob if you do want to know what bothers me its peds that are hurt, dealing with peds is my favorite and least favorite part of the job. They are the hardest to get over when you lose one...

#26 ·
I couldn't agree more with R1Fast.... I will not go on a superride because I do not have proper gear. Right now all I have is a lid and gloves. I refuse to ride hard because of that reason. I should have a jacket in a month and hopefully leathers in a few more months. I will squid it around every once and a while with shorts around town. But a lid is a must in my opinion. This thread got really heated really quick. All in one days time..... yikes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.