Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thankfully it wasn't a Harley :lol . Joking aside, I'm currently riding my roomate's Yamaha1300. You know, over-weight, saddle-bags, floor boards, the works.

First thing that you will instantly notice is the different position of the footpegs and handlebars, obviously. If you've always been a sportbike rider and jump on a cruiser, it will almost give you a cramp! I dunno about you, but its not as comfortable as they make them seem.

I'm not hating in any way, just posting my opinion and experience. this isn't the first time I've ridden a cruiser. I've also ridden motards (DRZ), Hayabusa, and other bikes. But man, the motard and cruisers are the most uncomfortable! You would think that the upright seating position and foot pegs make it more comfy, but in actuality not always. The low seat height is kinda counter productive on the cruisers. Your sitting way low on the ground, and your foot is out like its on a recliner... not always a good combo.

On long rides this might be ok, but city riding and and stop-n-go commute is a pain. Other than being heavy, the handlebars are "looser" when you come to a stop unlike a sportbike. No tachometer, gas gauge, gear indicator, and windshield. And they cost way more than a supersport :shrug

But hey, you get some saddlebags for storage and gobs of chrome :lao .
I'm sure there are better ones out there. This is only my subjective experience. If you own a cruiser, then that is cool. Its just not everyone's cup of tea.

If you ever get a chance to ride one, I suggest trying it out. Your experience may vary, and maybe you might actually like it.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I had a '83 cx 650. The only thing it was really good at was slabbing for hours.

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Well 'Yamaha 1300' is kinda vague. That's kinda like saying 'I rode a Ninja' in sport bike's terms. It could be 5-6 different bikes, but I do agree in that they're not really my speed, and that's on 3 cruisers whose controls fall between mid and forward. (Valkyrie, Magna 750C and Valkyrie Interstate.) The more forward the controls, the less I like it. :shrug Conversely, my father and riding friend both don't did clipons at all. I can imagine higher rearsets than an SV would vex them even more.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
ive ridden a few like a sportster, vrod, honda something. as far as power, handling and braking obviously a ss will be leagues ahead but comfort i disagree. if your driving around town or for any amount of longer distances, siting up in a comfortable padded seat with wider bars, etc? imo much more comfortable. riding agressively is a different story then rather have an SS anyday

·
NO LAG !!!
1,255 Posts
I will be honest. There are a few bikes outside of SS that will shock you. Ride a Victory Cross Country or Cross Country Tour. The Suzuki M109R and Yamaha VMAX have impressive power. Those are impressive for what they are. Luxury sport touring bikes (BMW K1600GT) (Triumph Trophy SE) and adventure touring bikes are pretty cool (Triumph Tiger Explorer). There are plenty more out there, but those stick out.

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Only motorcycles I really despise to ride are those that have a raked out front end. I can never get comfortable or feel safe. Other than that you take the good with the bad.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I may sound like a traitor to the sportbike community by saying this, but if i was doing a long interstate haul just for distance I would have a Goldwing.

Granted I would hate myself when I got to where I was going or past a nice riding road's (Mountains and such).

The V-strom I have now is much more suited for interstate riding then anything else I've ridden.

The :gsxr was ok..... at it.

I took the sm out on the interstate over the past weekend for maybe 30 min and every single second of it sucked. Anything over 65mph and it feels like your getting the crap kicked out of you.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Yeah, my wing tends to get all the longer rides. I've decided that if the US government was really serious about making the terrorist prisoners talk, they'd make them ride sportbikes all day in someplace like Nebraska. Damn uncomfortable.

Fortunately, I mostly ride around town, and screaming around on something faster than all but the highest end production cars does fulfill my jollies.

·
Enlightened
771 Posts
I like both cruisers and sport bikes. Going from one to the other takes some getting used to, but I don't think either sucks. I started out on sporty/sport bikes (SV650) and thought I would never like riding a cruiser. I went from the SV to YZF600R to Z1000 then made a big switch to an M109R. For the most part, I loved the M109R. It took about 30 minutes to get used to the riding position. It was a very fun bike to ride but I hated the way it shifted in the low gears, pegs touched down too soon, and it was super heavy. After a couple years, I traded that for a Hayabusa. Great bike but I never fell in love with it. After a few years I got rid of that and now have a Yamaha Road Star Warrior. Absolutely love it. More so than any of the other bikes. Not as much power as the M109R but much lighter, handles much better, more ground clearance, brakes great, shifts like a sport bike, and looks sweet (especially with mods). Arguably the best handling true big bore cruiser on the market (the Diavel isn't a cruiser in my mind) and has enough power to still have a lot of fun.
I can still appreciate sport bikes for the look and cutting edge performance that they have. But I definitely don't need cutting edge to have a great time on a bike. I've never spent any time on a motard, touring, or adventure type bikes so I can't really comment on those.

·
Enlightened
771 Posts
Don't you think the Diavel fits in the same category, "power cruiser" or whatever they call it, as the M109 and the V-Max?

KeS
In my opinion the Diavel is a long wheel based naked muscle standard bike with a fat rear tire. Nothing about the riding position is like a cruiser. To me it's more similar to a B-King than any cruiser. The M109R definitely fits the cruiser mold, albeit with a monster engine. The VMax is more cruiser-ish than the Diavel in my opinion as its foot pegs aren't quite as rear set. Though it and the Diavel pretty much create a new class of motorcycle in my opinion.
But the reality is that there are bikes now that blur the lines between cruiser, standard, sportbike, etc.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
I have rode Gold Wings, Victory Vision, Harleys, VTX1300, 1800, Sportbikes, Supermotos, Suzi Boulevards, and multiple other bikes. Some were more to my liking then others, one thing i learned is that you need to get used to any bike you are going to ride before you are comfortable.

·
Registered
848 Posts
nope, no thank you. rode a few and they all caused back issues. i'll stick with some lean and having my legs more under me than way out in front of me. as far as getting used to it, no thanks. i'd rather not be in pain until i get used to it.
don't know whether i could ride a GW or not. closest was my FJR and it did ok.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
I have rode Gold Wings, Victory Vision, Harleys, VTX1300, 1800, Sportbikes, Supermotos, Suzi Boulevards, and multiple other bikes. Some were more to my liking then others, one thing i learned is that you need to get used to any bike you are going to ride before you are comfortable.
What were your feelings on the Vision? While I love the leg room, I find the slightly leaned-back seating position really weird and the angle of the bars wasn't my favourite either.

I just ask because my father has a Vision and it is such a polarizing bike opinion-wise.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I bought a cruiser (Vulcan 900 Custom) for the first time in 2009, and I got it based solely on looks. I'd suffered through radiation for prostate cancer and decided that I needed a new toy for a reward. I'd never ridden a cruiser and didn't know if I'd like it or not. I probably looked stupid when I rode it off the lot because I had a hard time finding the footpegs, but after a while I got used to it and I really like it. :fiddy

·
Registered
825 Posts
motor + wheels= fun
I do not ride for need, I ride for fun. There are a lot of bikes I would never buy BUT I you ask me if I want to ride HELL YA is all you will get from me.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Comfort-wise, I don't know of anyone who's ridden 1,000 miles in a day on a supersport/hypersport/etc. which hasn't been modified for comfort. On the other hand, I know almost two dozen cruiser riders who have.

So obviously there's some kind of difference there.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Comfort-wise, I don't know of anyone who's ridden 1,000 miles in a day on a supersport/hypersport/etc. which hasn't been modified for comfort. On the other hand, I know almost two dozen cruiser riders who have.

So obviously there's some kind of difference there.
Old men who like to ride in a straight line :p :dramatic

Honestly though, not my cruiser. The seat is soft and the suspension is plush, but there isn't enough travel for Louisiana roads so my ass sometimes goes airborne. Also, that laid back riding position would be great... if it had a backrest. My supermoto is more comfortable except for the hard narrow seat.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I had a Vulcan 900 for a while... It's the only bike that I truly hated.

The riding position was awkward, sitting straight, feet in the front, arms almost straight, high and the handlebar was wide. With my feet in the front I could use my legs to raise my butt off the seat when a pothole was unavoidable and the straight up sitting position just sent the impact straight up my back, it was painful in anything but very smooth pavement. Then the position with my arms wide open made me feel like a sail hanging on to the handlebars when going faster than 50mph. Last but not least, it put a lot of pressure on my tailbone, that made it impossible for me to ride it for more than two hours, it was a torture...

As for the bike itself, the engine was uber smooth at 50mph, felt like floating... But it also felt like like you had strapped yourself to a chainsaw at 75mph, and close to it's top speed (100mph) it felt like it was about to blow up. The soft tail made for a lousy rear suspension.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts