Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that I seem to do much better on tracks that run counter clockwise. Example, California speedway ama course, and Laguna Seca. I have been riding track days for about a year now, WSIR, Buttonwillow, SOW, Spring Valley Ranch. Anyone else have a preference?

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
wow. me2. Well i've never been to the track but i've noticed that i can do better turning LEFTSIDE than the rightside. i thought it was my bike or something... maybe a crooked fork lol. But a lefthand turn just seems so much easier. Even with a car.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I haven't had the pleasure of riding a track yet, but yes my left hand sweepers are a lot easier the the rights.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I prefer clockwise tracks, I think its becuase my first high side was in a left hand turn and since then its been a mental thing with me......

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
most people have a definite prefernce to go left. I think it is b/c you have a b***** radius to turn. I've noticed it myself as well as noticing like when I feel like being a passenger, my bf as well, goes better to the left.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Right turns are always better for me. I had a theory that being right-handed had something to do with it. Stupid, I know, but you do tend to be stronger with your dominant hand. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I prefer a counter clockwise track also, but my body positioning is alot better on the righters. Go figure. Either way you prefer, your weak side is always what you have to overcome. ie: If you love the lefts, drill yourself on the rights.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
actually, it has to do with the gyroscopic effect of the engines crankshaft turning at speed. See this months Motorcyclist mag and the article on the new motorcycle this guy built and they discuss it.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
silent_R1 said:
most people have a definite prefernce to go left. I think it is b/c you have a b***** radius to turn. I've noticed it myself as well as noticing like when I feel like being a passenger, my bf as well, goes better to the left.
+1

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
KatanaMike said:
actually, it has to do with the gyroscopic effect of the engines crankshaft turning at speed. See this months Motorcyclist mag and the article on the new motorcycle this guy built and they discuss it.
Unless you're riding a model with a transverse mounted engine (BMW?) the crank effect will be the same to either side when turning.

But many do have a preference, and among other things, the left prference might partially be because:

-You can see better through most left hand turns in the twisties and become better with that view available.
-When turning left, a lowside doesn't mean a slide into oncoming traffic, and when you're going right it does, robbing confidence?

Just thoughts on it..

·
Registered
97 Posts
The two tracks ive been on were Pacific Raceways and Reno-Fernely, so yeah Im more use to left handers, but for some reason Im more comfortable on the few right turns, only time I ever drug knee was on a right. But then again I havnt on the lefts cuz I still dont get my ass far enough off the seat.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ive allways been a counter-clockwise man....ever since I can remember....weird?!?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Haven't been to a track or anything.. but judging by my tires I feel more comfortable turning/leaning right..... odd... maybe I'm wierd like that.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
I like left-hand turns much better too. The left side of my rear tire is worn all the way to the edge...the right side still has a little chicken strip.

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
I think I read something about your brain makes it easier to turn left than right, no matter if it's on a bike or car. I feel more comfortable hanging off to the right because I've practiced more on that side because that's how most off and on ramps are. My local track is mostly left-handers and it took me quite a while to feel comfortable hanging off to the left.

·
Registered
418 Posts
ACTUALLY.... the reason it's easier to "turn left" than it is to "turn right" has to do with a combination of variables involving your wrist position [L vs. R] and the amount of force you are using to either slow-down, maintain your speed or accelerate [with your right hand]...

The way it was explained to me [from a couple ex-racers] is that when "turning left" the physical-to-mental connection your body has to make is 'less' than the physical-to-mental connection your body has to make "turning right". Auxiliary muscles in your arms, chest, lats & back are at different positions in the two different turns. All in all when it was boiled down to me, it's easier for the mind+body to "not" have to balance the left wrist+muscles than for the mind+body to balance the right wrist+muscles b/c of the additional work required to operate the throttle.

That's just the way it was explained to me..... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
801 Posts
J0HNK said:
ACTUALLY.... the reason it's easier to "turn left" than it is to "turn right" has to do with a combination of variables involving your wrist position [L vs. R] and the amount of force you are using to either slow-down, maintain your speed or accelerate [with your right hand]...

The way it was explained to me [from a couple ex-racers] is that when "turning left" the physical-to-mental connection your body has to make is 'less' than the physical-to-mental connection your body has to make "turning right". Auxiliary muscles in your arms, chest, lats & back are at different positions in the two different turns. All in all when it was boiled down to me, it's easier for the mind+body to "not" have to balance the left wrist+muscles than for the mind+body to balance the right wrist+muscles b/c of the additional work required to operate the throttle.

That's just the way it was explained to me..... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
When I took the Star School, Jason Pridmore pretty much explained it the same way. I told him that I couldn't take a right hand corner worth a damn. To correct it, he took me around CMP on a two up ride and had me watch his right shoulder and elbow.

Anyhow, by dropping my elbow in towards the tank and pointing my shoulder, it puts my hand/wrist/mind in a more relaxed position. That's what fixed it for me. But, everyone's style is different.

B

1 - 19 of 19 Posts