Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Keeping WI HOT since 1998
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HASBROUCK HEIGHTS, N.J. - A male high school student can wear a skirt to school after the American Civil Liberties Union reached an agreement with school officials.

The ACLU announced the deal Tuesday. It will allow a Hasbrouck Heights School senior to wear a skirt to protest the school's no-shorts policy.

The district's dress code bans shorts between Oct. 1 and April 15, but allows skirts, a policy 17-year-old Michael Coviello believes is discriminatory.

"I'm happy to be able to wear skirts again to bring attention to the fact that the ban on shorts doesn't make sense," Coviello said in a statement.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060125/ap_on_re_us/skirts_in_school

Let me see if I can find the old thread for comparison. It was a pretty good and rather heated discussion about a girl who wanted to wear the male uniform for her senior photo. Oh, nevermind, that was before the politics forum was deleted. We'll just have to focus on this kid. Have at it!

BTW, I think what he did is fab!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Depends on whether or not the school is public or private. If it's public, more power to him. If it's a private school which does not accept federal/state/local funding, then the ACLU should have backed off. Entering your child in a private school which does not accept the aforementioned funding implies that you and your children are entering into a contract with the school to abide by whatever rules it enacts. Payment of tuition is an agreement to this contract. As the contract would be considered valid by legal standards, the ACLU would not have grounds for a lawsuit.

I read the article, but it didn't say if the school was private or public. Do you know any more about it?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Triple_Z said:
Entering your child in a private school which does not accept the aforementioned funding implies that you and your children are entering into a contract with the school to abide by whatever rules it enacts. Payment of tuition is an agreement to this contract.
Technically this is not really the case. Minors are below the age to legally enter into contracts.

I don't disagree with your stance on private schools. I'm merely pointing out that this is an agreement made by adults, whether or not they take the childrens feelings on the matter into consideration.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
While I agree about public versus private.

I say fuck it.........Id wear a skirt just to be a dick

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Of course you could Dave...........I have a flair for drama, remember? Why would I not take advantage of an opportunity to create a bit?

I wear that skirt and show the world what they could kiss.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts