Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife is letting me buy another bike, and I am thinking another SV1000 as I do kind of miss the one I wrecked. Even though I hated it at first, it grew on me. I really want another V-Twin.

So I find an 03 SV1000 with 25,000 miles; bike and delivery from OK. for under 5,000.

What are your thoughts; good deal, bad deal? Should I stay away from it?

25,000 seems like a lot, and I do not know if they are hard or easy miles, plus the bike has been discontinued. How hard will it be to find parts, or a referbished engine? I have looked on-line for a crate engine, but no luck. I have tried Spears racing, but have not heard back from him yet.

Help me out here, please

Thank you

Jason

·
Registered
474 Posts
Was told yesterday of a brand new 2007 (I think) for $7100. Will look into it more if you would like. PM me if interested and I will get you the info for the seller.

·
Awesomeness, Inc.
679 Posts
I recently bought a bike with almost 28k miles on it. 25k miles on a 6 year old bike is like 4,000 miles a year, thats nothing. A car with an average of 4000 miles/year would be considered EXTREMELY low mileage. Its more a matter of how it was maintained during the past 6 years, if all the regular maintenance has been done, no problems. Theres many members on here with well over 40k miles on their bikes. Talk to the owner and see if he has receipts for any maintenance work, and if you can get a feel for how he treated it.

Actually, from your post, it looks like you're buying a bike from halfway across the US and having it shipped? Have you seen it in person? I'd be extra cautious if you're going that route. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was told yesterday of a brand new 2007 (I think) for $7100. Will look into it more if you would like. PM me if interested and I will get you the info for the seller.
I am interested, but I only have my Suzuki card, which is only good until the beginning of the year. The wife was ok with five grand; she will shit a kitten if I up it to 7

·
Shut the **** up and ride
5,031 Posts
You wanna swap engines just cause it has 25k miles? Thats not much, many people think 15k miles is alot on a used bike.

Just buy it already, Im sure you will be happy with it.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recently bought a bike with almost 28k miles on it. 25k miles on a 6 year old bike is like 4,000 miles a year, thats nothing. A car with an average of 4000 miles/year would be considered EXTREMELY low mileage. Its more a matter of how it was maintained during the past 6 years, if all the regular maintenance has been done, no problems. Theres many members on here with well over 40k miles on their bikes. Talk to the owner and see if he has receipts for any maintenance work, and if you can get a feel for how he treated it.

Actually, from your post, it looks like you're buying a bike from halfway across the US and having it shipped? Have you seen it in person? I'd be extra cautious if you're going that route. Good luck.
Buying it from a stealership; no way to contact the last owner. All I have been told is there is a small crack in the belly pan plastic; I am ok with that.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You wanna swap engines just cause it has 25k miles? Thats not much, many people think 15k miles is alot on a used bike.

Just buy it already, Im sure you will be happy with it.
Not just because it has 25k on it; I do not know how the engine has been treated eg. services, condition of other parts. The dealer cant really sell a bike that is ready to fall apart, can they?

·
Banned
3,836 Posts
Not just because it has 25k on it; I do not know how the engine has been treated eg. services, condition of other parts. The dealer cant really sell a bike that is ready to fall apart, can they?
Most states have a lemon law don't they? Even on used vehicles.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If regulary serviced properly (not just an oil change) there is no reason that just about any modern road bike motor won't go past 60 000miles plus easily you may have to do the timing chains and it should be good for another 20-30 000 before it will need some rings etc. The averge sports bike usally gets through two or three owners and then gets written off long before this piont. I'd personally want to have a look at it some of the SV's have spent a larger amount of time on one wheel and can have oil starvation problems.

I'd shop around and check the price out its a 5 year old bike now it sounds about right but i don't think they are doing you any favours. The other bike that moght be worth looking at (not a twin) and can be had secound hand for not much money is the Bandit 1200.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The other bike that moght be worth looking at (not a twin) and can be had secound hand for not much money is the Bandit 1200.
Already have the GSF1200. Not sure if I will be keeping it; would like to, but the wife may have other plans.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Price sounds high for an '03. Is it an "s" model or standard? 25k miles is nothing. I sold my '00 sv650 with over 47k miles and no issues. Some of the '03 1000's had a bearing "knock" issue that didn't seem to be harmful at all.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
I wouldn't buy a bike that old sight unseen, *especially* with documented damage. It's not primarily the miles; you don't know how many owners it's been through, what's happened to it, etc. If it was someone I knew and the bike was maintainted well, the miles themselves aren't a concern.

But an SV1000? As you say, those have been discontinued, and there are new old stock bikes sitting all over the country at hefty discounts. That's one of the bikes you *should* look at buying new, especially because you already know its the bike you want.

KeS

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Price sounds high for an '03. Is it an "s" model or standard? 25k miles is nothing. I sold my '00 sv650 with over 47k miles and no issues. Some of the '03 1000's had a bearing "knock" issue that didn't seem to be harmful at all.
3995.00 for the bike, with fees and shipping is what is killing me. The price, I guess is not that bad, for just the bike. I have seen some of the lefo over, and used models, these are going for around 7,000.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
I have seen a few nice Aprilia Falco's for around $5k. Detuned RSV 1000.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
3995.00 for the bike, with fees and shipping is what is killing me. The price, I guess is not that bad, for just the bike. I have seen some of the lefo over, and used models, these are going for around 7,000.
So you're paying $1000 above and beyond what the bike itself is worth? Ouch.

Yes, the leftovers are marked at $7k. In the dead of winter, after the new year, in *this* economy, for a two- or three-year old leftover, what do you think that bike would sell for in cash?

Look, do what you want, but you asked for opinions. I think you're buying the wrong bike (not model) at the wrong price. You're in a buyer's market and you're acting like you're trying to score a new Repsol replica on Memorial Day.

KeS

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
even 4,000 is a high price for a bike with even just slight damage, 6 years old and 25,000 miles. I wouldnt do it.

I paid 5,000 for a perfectly mint Z1000 (03) with less than 5,000 miles on it and tons of mods (powder coating and cosmetic stuff).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts