Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But my bike is one engine short of being rideable...

It's been like this for two weeks, and has been dead for almost a month and a half. I was waiting for the new engine, then on vacation, and now working 80 hours a week with school, plus board studying. Ugh. Maybe posting this picture here will be the motivation I need to get it back together...

57,000 miles on the clock before the engine went kablooey... but my new engine only has 3000 miles on it!

I'm seriously going nuts here. I've never gone this long without riding before...

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Bummer. I'll be going through the same thing come January. Complete tear down and cleaning, valves, manual cctl finally (I've had it for 2 years, just haven't put it in), clean up the wiring from the hack job on the flush mounts, anything else that needs to be done. I figure she'll be down for about a month. I'm hoping to find some cheap fairings so I can go back to fully faired. Maybe SS brake lines. I've got a whole list of things to do come the first of the year.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Isn't that what winter is for?

That really sucks. Hope you get it back together soon.

The longest I've gone without riding in the last 10 years was this past winter. Parked it mid-November and didn't ride again until mid-Feb. I didn't think I was going to survive. Thank goodness there's so much great beer around here to distract me and make up for all that nasty white stuff.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I go through it every year. and am even more bitter about it this year. Can't send the fork to Daugherty for another week. I am missing prime ride time here.

Reactions: max384

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why did you lose an engine in just under 60K miles??
I'm not entirely sure. The engine seized after it ran out of oil... so that part is simple. However, I'm not sure why it happened. I had last checked oil levels 400 miles ago and everything was fine. However, in those 400 miles, I somehow lost nearly every last drop of oil. The drain plug and filter were on right with no leaks, and there's no evidence of any leaks. But, that seams like an awful lot of oil to burn in a day... especially without me seeing smoke billowing it the exhaust... so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
this is unlikely, but do you wheelie a bunch or some shit?

cause the SV does starve the front cylinder when on one wheel.

If not that, I would hazard a guess at eating a ring and rather than leaking oil, you burnt it slowly. My ex had a car do that same thing. It decided to eat a ring on cyl 3 and it proceeded to then slowly eat oil. since she was a dip and couldn't even check oil, she grenaded the engine.

Reactions: max384

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't wheelie it. Burning oil is the only thing that makes sense, but to burn 2.5 quarts of oil in a day without me smoking terribly seems unlikely... but it's the only explanation.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
the SV takes only 2.5L?
eh?

my 1gen took 3 I do believe.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today was the first day I had to really work on it. The engine is in, new chain and sprockets are on, the oil cooler is installed, and most of the electrical connections are connected. I have to be up at 5am tomorrow morning, and I'm losing steam... I'm going to finish tonight, but I don't know...

·
Registered
60 Posts
That's why I have 2 bikes. Haha. My buell decided to die. 4th time it's gone from running fine to complete no start since I bought it in march. This time I think it blew a head gasket. But the cbr has kept me on 2s during the downtime and it's gonna make its debut at the track Labor Day weekend and hopefully tear up road America the following week.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SHE LIVES!!!!!

She fired up right away! Wow, what a great ride!! Even though it was only for a couple of minutes in the middle of the night, after having not ridden in a couple months, it was spectacular!

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's why I have 2 bikes. Haha. My buell decided to die. 4th time it's gone from running fine to complete no start since I bought it in march. This time I think it blew a head gasket. But the cbr has kept me on 2s during the downtime and it's gonna make its debut at the track Labor Day weekend and hopefully tear up road America the following week.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I actually do have two bikes... Only problem is that my other one is currently in the middle of a top engine rebuild... :eek:nfloor

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Chin up, at least you have your health!.

I can't ride, and my bike is in perfect working order. I have a sinus infection, and lung congestion, hope it isn't pneumonia. :( Already on meds. I would ride anyway if it wasn't for the dizziness.

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
^
Sucks hacking lung butter on the inside of your shield when sick.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts