Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have about 1000 miles of riding experience so far. Yes, still very new. Im having trouble shifting at high rpms, especially from 1st to 2nd. Im posting a video of my horrible shifting :afraid Im looking for some pointers on how to do smoother quicker shifting. If anyone can give me some advice on how to improve it would be greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sounds fine to me...just need more miles under your belt. You'll get better at it over time, and it'll be a little harder to learn to ride well on that powerful bike versus a beginner bike.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don't know about your bike, but I know that mine does not like to be shifted slowly. Although my bike revs to about 12k, I usually shift at 4.5 and when I do I always do it quickly. In my car, I shift slowly because that seems to be what the car likes. But on my bike when I shift quickly, everything feels much smoother and I don't have any jerking motion.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Imo your shifting slow. Don't be afraid to shift the bike. That comes with experience. But sounds like your off to a good start.

:edit try putting a little pressure on the shifter. When you clutch in the right amount of pressure it will shift. It also make the ride a bit smoother.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Yeah, a little long on the shift times, but no worries given your seat time

Are you pulling the clutch in fully? Don't. Just enough to take pressure off the gear box, snick the gear and let it back out. this will shorten the time and revs wont' drop as much.

Then play with some rev matching, and you'll be all pro!

·
Registered
272 Posts
You just have to do 3 things at once instead of doing them separately. Roll off throttle, pull in clutch, and shift the gear all in the same motion.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Don't beat yourself up too bad, you've only got 1000 miles of experience. That being said, you're really cranking that throttle off and that's not really necessary. Just ease up on it a little so that it doesn't rev up with you pull the clutch in, and try for more quickness. You'll get it eventually.

Reactions: Drnkmixr

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot of great advice, thanks guys.

Things that I will try to do different are..

1. Don't fully pull the clutch lever in

2. Don't let the throttle off all the way or so aggressively.
(there's a lot of play in my throttle so hopefully adjusting it will help)

3. pre load the shifter

4. Do all 3 actions simultaneously

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

3. pre load the shifter

Got it.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
1,034 Posts

3. pre load the shifter

You do realize that the shifter is adjustable, don't you? I've had bikes where I wasn't real smooth shifting or I've gotten new boots and had to adjust the shifter to smooth things out.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
I didn't watch, but one of the easiest ways to smoothly upshift is doing it clutchless. Just apply a little bit of pressure upwards (or downwards if in GP shift), and then blip the throttle. By blip I mean, back off a little bit, and it will slip up a gear, then back on it. Once figured out it makes shifting a lot easier, faster, and smoother.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Experience will most likely smooth out your issues.

Right now your brain is processing the steps to shift in a serial fashion. It's apparent from your video.

Basically, you're "thinking" about each step, and doing so at a dinosaur's pace.

I'm up North of you, and in some great twisties. Wanna go riding?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I didn't watch, but one of the easiest ways to smoothly upshift is doing it clutchless. Just apply a little bit of pressure upwards (or downwards if in GP shift), and then blip the throttle. By blip I mean, back off a little bit, and it will slip up a gear, then back on it. Once figured out it makes shifting a lot easier, faster, and smoother.
Agreed. As others have said, you don't need to fully engage the clutch, shift, and then let the clutch out in three distinct steps. When you're at your desired speed to upshift, just back off the throttle enough so the engine isn't under load, and push the shifter up. Maybe a little squeeze on the clutch for now, but after a while, a little clutch action becomes none at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So.. I just wanted to thank everyone one more time. My shifting has improved 10 Fold. Im still no pro but much better than I was. I even did some clutchless shifting. Great advice guys, thanks. Heres a new video...

shiftrun - YouTube

Experience will most likely smooth out your issues.

I'm up North of you, and in some great twisties. Wanna go riding?
Sounds good rg.. Im still pretty slow on twisties though.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Best of luck bud. Getting a good solid foundation is the best way to become a good rider.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
CCS# 616
915 Posts
This, although I usually use the clutch for 1-2 because neutral is inbetween. It's also smoother at higher RPM.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts