Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, that is what I wanted to say to the officer that confronted me on base this morning.

I was riding to work (Marine base), (first time), and on the way a careless cager tried to change lanes on me. I could clearly see that she didn't even look before she decided to move. All she did was hit her blinker and move. So I jammed the brakes and let her move over. I just shook my head, wrote it off as another MSF moment and proceeded to work. Passing this cager on the way.

So now I in the parking lot and the same cager pulls up and a guy gets out of the passenger side and walks up to me...

Marine Officer: Son, you need to be more visible. My wife nearly hit you. You're on a black bike with a black jacket and helmet. How are people supposed to see you? You need something more reflective on so you don't get run over.

Me: Roger that, Sir.

He shakes his head and walks off.

Just for the record, my bike is half black but the front half is silver. I had my highbeams on. Granted I do have dark colors on but it was DAYLIGHT out and there is a visible reflective strip on my Joe Rocket jacket. Only a blind person or a cager not paying attention would not have seen me. But I held my tongue because I am pretty sure the officers wife was bitching at him to say something to me. And I like my stripes. :banana

This morning was a test run to check the route I want to take to work in the morning. Suffice to say I will be looking for another route plus wearing my Icon Milspec jacket. Just in case this cager or any other cager claims they didn't see me again.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
thought all military riders had to wear those reflective vest.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fuck that, time to go off the record with your superior officer, and explain the situation properly.

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RACER X said:
thought all military riders had to wear those reflective vest.....
Only required between dusk and dawn now. But, I think I will be wearing mine from now on.

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
Almighty Jason said:
I would tell him, teach your stupid wife how to drive. Then again I'm not in the military I still have rights
true that

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
yeah, it would have been tough to not tell that guy that his wife didn't even look over before she changed lanes.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
You did the right thing. No need to be confrontational on base, no matter how severe the cause may be. You kept it cool. Thumbs up!

I'm thinking about getting that Icon vest thingamajigg. Just to be on the safe side.

Honk next time, but don't use that horn as an excuse for them to think you have the right-of-way. Just to keep them on their toes.

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Almighty Jason said:
I would tell him, teach your stupid wife how to drive. Then again I'm not in the military I still have rights
I have rights. :bitchslap I know better than to get into an argument with an officer.

Nothing positive would have come from me telling him how I really felt anyway. Being that careless cagers is a daily occurance, I pretty much wrote the incident off as quickly as it happened.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Atleast they recognized that they did in fact almost hit you and they may tend to be more cautious in the future, he probably said something cause imagine how he would have felt being an Marine officer and his wife hitting another Marine. just my .02

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
That is why I never joined the military. I would have gone off on him like a fire cracker! Officer or not, his wife was not paying attention and almost ran over you. I would have told him to shut the hell up, teach his wife how to drive and then given him the finger.....

·
Registered
791 Posts
Almighty Jason said:
It's funny how ppl have no rights when the become Property.

wolfman said:
That is why I never joined the military. I would have gone off on him like a fire cracker! Officer or not,..

AMEN :cheers

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
wolfman said:
That is why I never joined the military. I would have gone off on him like a fire cracker! Officer or not, his wife was not paying attention and almost ran over you. I would have told him to shut the hell up, teach his wife how to drive and then given him the finger.....

That one was one thing I REALLY hated about the military. They are humans to. The fact they are a higher rank or officer doesn't give them the right to drive like a dumbass.

I was packing out of a stall on base and a Navy Chief hit me (E-7) at the time I was an E-5. At first I was trying to be all cordial with the chief, figuring he would take responsibility since it was his fault. THEN he proceeds to berate me in public, loudly about how i need to learn to drive, yadda yadda yadda. So i defend myself verbally over it. He starts righting down what ship i'm on (it was on my hat) wanted to know who my chief was, etc. Anyways, as we were arguing we exchanged info, then an officer comes up and confronts the chief and tells him to knock it off it was his fault. That chief went from high to dry in 1.3seconds. I thanked the O and went on my way.

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:popcorn

Ok, so maybe I can say EVERYTHING I want being in the military. Discretion is the better part of valor though. :)

·
Bike Hunter
79 Posts
You could've still defeneded your side. Just be tactful about it. There's no reason that you can't explain your side just have some tact and be respectful. But I probably would've done the same thing as you though. I don't have enough rank yet to talk shit.

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BigDaddyK said:
You could've still defeneded your side. Just be tactful about it. There's no reason that you can't explain your side just have some tact and be respectful. But I probably would've done the same thing as you though. I don't have enough rank yet to talk shit.
I realized as he went out of his way to follow and approach me that any response other than "Roger that" would have escalated the issue. I could have easily told him his wife was in the wrong, with all due respect.

Also, I would never expect someone who doesn't ride to totally understand my position and put themselves in the riders boots.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
sounds like you handled it well, it just goes to show you that you have to be aware of your surroundings all the time.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts