Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Magseal said:
I'm not sure if you got it or not....hmmmm......maybe that one was too vague....
Yea the above post was my attempt at sarcasm...

Sometimes it works... it has Ford characteristics

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
CanadianFZ6 said:
It won't last (that's why I Canadians should keep their mouth shut about it).... one has to just look at the difference in economic output between our Countries. In the short term it's nice buying cheap stuff for a change.....:)
I was reading some Stephen Harper quotes regarding the issue this morning...the Canadian higher-ups seem pretty worried about the negative impact it's having on the Canadian economy. The fact that the US is buying less from Canada because of our situation makes things much worse...1.10:1.00!!!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah, yeah, yeah!

Changing the oil is a big pain for me because I can't change the oil where it's kept right now because I have no way of easily cleaning up the almost assured spills and drips from the process, so I have to take the bike across town to my mother's place to do it, who doesn't have any tools. All I had was a ratchet and I couldn't get enough leverage onto the thing.

So really what I'm aiming at is whether or not my being lazy and leaving the old oil in there until the spring is going to cause me more grief than trying to get across town with the bike again in freezing rain or not.

Living in condos and having a bike to take care of don't go together like peanut butter and chocolate. It's like they say in Fight Club, you don't own your possessions - your possessions own you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Binary Jay said:
It's like they say in Fight Club, you don't own your possessions - your possessions own you.
Great movie! A bit odd, but still a good movie.

I understand the frustration there. I am in an apt in Charlotte, and it doesnt really lend its self to doing the best work. There is a porch, but its small and hard to move around on. God help if you did work out side, more than likely get mugged laying under the car or bike..

·
Registered
616 Posts
DefyInertia said:
I was reading some Stephen Harper quotes regarding the issue this morning...the Canadian higher-ups seem pretty worried about the negative impact it's having on the Canadian economy. The fact that the US is buying less from Canada because of our situation makes things much worse...1.10:1.00!!!
I am willing to bet more than a few ski resorts are going to go belly up (especially in Alberta) this year because of the lack of US customers.... Maybe Jay can use one of the resorts to change his oil....:)

·
Registered
807 Posts
This thread cracks me up :)
Over time, oil does turn into something else, but if it's just sitting in the oil pan vs. new oil being in there, I don't see any real harm to draining later. I mean, if ya drain now, let it sit all winter, you'll prolly have to drain again before your next ride, right? Kinda begs the question why leave new oil sittin in there all winter. I guess it's always a good idea to not have old oil in the motor, but if this were me, I'd let er sit. In fact, I'm about 500 miles from another oil change now, and I'm probably not going to ride again until April, so mine's gonna sit now too.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
ster1 said:
This thread cracks me up :)
Over time, oil does turn into something else, but if it's just sitting in the oil pan vs. new oil being in there, I don't see any real harm to draining later. I mean, if ya drain now, let it sit all winter, you'll prolly have to drain again before your next ride, right? Kinda begs the question why leave new oil sittin in there all winter. I guess it's always a good idea to not have old oil in the motor, but if this were me, I'd let er sit. In fact, I'm about 500 miles from another oil change now, and I'm probably not going to ride again until April, so mine's gonna sit now too.
The idea I've always understood is that you want to drain the used oil out because it's corrosive. I'm not sure how synthetic oil changes over the course of not being used over 6 months or so, if it's going to turn to sludge on me for when I start it up in the spring or not.

·
Banned
2,576 Posts
bingo jay, you just answered your question.......now grab a bar and get er done.

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
Magseal said:
bingo jay, you just answered your question.......now grab a bar and get er done.
yup..../thread.

well said, magseal. The only thing missing from your post was the introduction of a totally unrelated topic...tisk tisk.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
how about another ridiculous story like...

while binary jay is riding over his to his mother's place in the 12ft of snow, suddenly a cager spins outta control and almost side swipes him. but then instead he hangs a hard right up and over a pile of plowed snow/slush on the side walk... flying into the air over and small child and giving the finger to the little kid who's makign snow angels, then landing in the street over, and then intentionally swerving over into oncoming traffic to kick the walker out from underneath and old lady, while winking at some cute girl at the bus stop....

yeah... something like that.

·
Diver Down
812 Posts
Binary Jay said:
I have no way of easily cleaning up the almost assured spills and drips from the process
Umm, NEWSPAPER? You have those in Canada?
SURE you weren't turning it the wrong direction? Sometimes a brain fart will cause that.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
BlueZ6 said:
SURE you weren't turning it the wrong direction? Sometimes a brain fart will cause that.
I'm very messy with oil changes. I don't know why. I also can't eat in a nice shirt without wearing my meal. Doesn't really help that my used oil recepticle doesn't really fit properly under the bike which means there is always some splash until I can wedge it under the piss stream properly after I get the bolt out.

Lefty-loosy... unless turning the bolt left meant turning it right on this bike and the other 10 times I changed the oil I was confused in the right direction. I did stop and think to myself after the first 5 minutes of struggling to check for brain farts and decided that yes indeed the bolt should be turning counter clockwise.

thatguyx said:
while binary jay is riding over his to his mother's place in the 12ft of snow, suddenly a cager spins outta control and almost side swipes him. but then instead he hangs a hard right up and over a pile of plowed snow/slush on the side walk... flying into the air over and small child and giving the finger to the little kid who's makign snow angels, then landing in the street over, and then intentionally swerving over into oncoming traffic to kick the walker out from underneath and old lady, while winking at some cute girl at the bus stop....
Sounds vaguely familiar...

·
Diver Down
812 Posts
+1 on using a pipe. Or longer handled wrench. I'd use that before starting to use a mallet. Better to use more torque - when loosening it. A shorter handled wrench to snug-tight is best for not over-tightening it.
How much time and miles on the oil? Synthetics should last much longer than regular oil. So it probably doesn't matter much whether you change the oil now, or in a few months. Owner's manual doesn't say anything about needing to change the oil before long term storage. Just the usual 4K miles or 6 months.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The first time,600 miles, I now have 1200, I took my oil plug out I had to put so much force down on the wrench that when it finally came loose, it hurt my neck for ~2days. They must really use a big ass wrench from the factory

Bill

·
jess wanna ryd
315 Posts
Jay are you sure the guy in the wheel chair dint tighten yer plug when you weren't looking?
ceek

·
Registered
301 Posts
BlueZ6 said:
Please understand that Binary Jay is from Toronto....they recently re-elected a Liberal Provincial government, so turning the wrong direction is...well....sort of a way of life for Ontarioans. :lao

Binary Jay: Ride the bike/run the motor till it's hot...that might make the drain plug easier to remove.

·
Registered
859 Posts
BJ's #1 problem is that he has to run to MOM to get his oil changed....

Grow up, go to Sears and buy a set of tools you phucking puss.

"I live in a condo in Toronto and a handicap man in a wheelchair owns me"

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
TX-Aggie said:
BJ's #1 problem is that he has to run to MOM to get his oil changed....

Grow up, go to Sears and buy a set of tools you phucking puss.

"I live in a condo in Toronto and a handicap man in a wheelchair owns me"

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Binary Jay said:
Lefty-loosy... unless turning the bolt left meant turning it right on this bike and the other 10 times I changed the oil I was confused in the right direction.
Don't forget my "Right-Hand-Rule", that is fool proof. Unlike lefty-loosy, which is dependent upon which way you are facing the bolt.

"Right-Hand-Rule"" - Take your right hand, and make a fist. Point your thumb in the direction you want the bolt to go. Your fingers should now be pointing in the direction you need to rotate the bolt.

I guess it isn't "fool proof", since you need to know which hand is your right hand. :bitchslap

21 - 40 of 60 Posts