Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to do my winter oil change the other day, but found I couldn't get the drain plug off with all of my might, and it wouldn't even budge tapping the wrench with a mallet.

For fear of doing something unmentionable to the threads on the oil pan and getting stuck, I'm considering just leaving the oil in for the winter this once and bringing it to the shop in the spring for them to deal with - if they strip it, they buy it.

The oil in there now is full synthetic and probably only has 3 thousand km on it or so. Intuition says it's not going to matter in the long run but meh... should I really go through the trouble of trying to get it out now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
When all else fails....get a b***** hammer.

No seriously though, are just not able to get good leverage on the ratchet of what?
Spray some PB plaster all over and it let is sit over night, then try heating up the oil pan some. I would try that before taking it to the shop. I had to have my dad hold the bike down while puttin all the force I could on it, then preceded to knock my knuckle into the centerstand mount...

boxing gloves might be in order next time.

-bryan
 

·
Saratogian
Joined
·
3,627 Posts
It's a bolt...turn it counter-clockwise and it will come out. Unless it's already cross threaded (which would mean the damage was already done), you're not goiing to hurt anything by turning it the correct way. Put an extension on your wrench, change the oil, and let your bike sit some more.

EDIT - NOOB!
 

·
Super Pursuit Mode, Yo
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
You shouldn't have used synthetic oil. Slap a pipe on the end of that ratchet and crank the bolt out. noob.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
pelon717 said:
You shouldn't have used synthetic oil.
Why? ... and wtf does it have to do with a tight bolt?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Binary Jay said:
I went to do my winter oil change the other day, but found I couldn't get the drain plug off with all of my might, and it wouldn't even budge tapping the wrench with a mallet.

For fear of doing something unmentionable to the threads on the oil pan and getting stuck, I'm considering just leaving the oil in for the winter this once and bringing it to the shop in the spring for them to deal with - if they strip it, they buy it.

The oil in there now is full synthetic and probably only has 3 thousand km on it or so. Intuition says it's not going to matter in the long run but meh... should I really go through the trouble of trying to get it out now?
This may sound too obvious, but are you sure you are turning it in the right direction.... I once had the same thing happen to me... after 10 mins of struggling with it, I realized I was tightening the drain bolt, not lossening it.... duh...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
pelon717 said:
You shouldn't have used synthetic oil. Slap a pipe on the end of that ratchet and crank the bolt out. noob.
+1 my drain bolt is always a b*tch to get off. i use a breaker bar (it's really an old hallow barbell, slip it on the end of the wrench and i've got an extra 3.5ft of leverage, comes off real easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
DefyInertia said:
If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand....:bitchslap
Or we just want to know what reasoning you have behind it? Because what type of oil you run has nothing to do with the drain plug being a pain the ass.

-bryan
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
sarcasm....sometimes it slaps you in the face, and you just never feel it NOOBS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
DefyInertia said:
Can we start talking about the value of the Loonie and how it's jacking up the Canadian economy now? :D
No need... betcha' wish you guys had that Trillon dollars or so you wasted in Iraq back to spend on your economy.... :bitchslap ... sarcasm:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Magseal said:
i hear ya....you're posts are never sacastic in nature.
Neither are yours... they seem to always involve someones wife or something to that effect. Sarcasm is a bitch.:twofinger
 

·
Saratogian
Joined
·
3,627 Posts
We were JUST JOKING about the synthetic oil thing. BinaryJay likes to give people are hard time (in good nature) so we like to give him a hard time...especially when he posts a noobish goofy thread....chillax! :)

CanadianFZ6 said:
No need... betcha' wish you guys had that Trillon dollars or so you wasted in Iraq back to spend on your economy.... :bitchslap ... sarcasm:)
The "wasted" part would be up for debate but let's not go there....urrr...you can, but I'll stay out of that one.

So what were you saying about the exchange rate? lol...

:cheers
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
bmccrary said:
Neither are yours... they seem to always involve someones wife or something to that effect. Sarcasm is a bitch.:twofinger
I'm not sure if you got it or not....hmmmm......maybe that one was too vague....
 

·
Lemming's Revenge
Joined
·
665 Posts
pelon717 said:
You shouldn't have used synthetic oil. Slap a pipe on the end of that ratchet and crank the bolt out. noob.
+1 long metal pipe. Turn slowly till it cracks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
DefyInertia said:
So what were you saying about the exchange rate? lol...
:cheers
It won't last (that's why I think Canadians should keep their mouth shut about it).... one has to just look at the difference in economic output between our Countries. In the short term however, it's nice buying cheap stuff for a change.....:)
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Top