Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall I traded my beloved aprilia RSV-R for the practical BMW R1200ST. It is a far nicer bike then my Ducati ST3 and I'm loving it for what it is. My BMW G650X XChallenge is 1000x the dual sport my KLR650 was and love that bike to death. So I have a very well rounded 2 bike stable, but I'm missing my sportbike. I'm partial to BMW & aprilia. In fact my BMW G650X was made by aprilia. So this time next year I'm going to add bike #3 to the stable. Here are my thoughts in no particular order:

Tuono V2
Tuono V4
RSVR
RSV4
S1000RR
K1300S

I've ruled out another Ducati. Loved mine, but not interested in another one. For shits and giggles I made it a poll. What are your thoughts?

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll try posting pics of my choices:

aprilia Tuono:

Attachments

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aprilia Tuono V4:

Attachments

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aprilia RSVR:

Attachments

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aprilia RSV4:

Attachments

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bmw s1000rr:

Attachments

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And the BMW K1300S:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
the V2 Tuono, or the K1300.

you know this thing is gonna get ridden harshly at times. you're gonna go hit the fun roads. that's its point and purpose.

the V4 ape motors give SHIT fuel economy in the best of conditions from what i have read. the V2 might do better there. I dunno for sure. Tuono might also be the least agressive, next to the K1300, and given your list of previous injuries, I'd still expect some discomfort on something as. . .ahem. . .dedicated as the S1000 or the RSVR, cool as they are.

if you really do go balls to the wall sportbike, get the RSVR. the S1000 is awesome and probably faster, but it ain't a V4.
oh yeah, and the V4 tuono is fucking ugly as sin.
the V2 tuono is probably also the cheapest. they canbe had for 8 grand all day, even where i am, which si sportbike purgatory.

yeah, I dig Aprilia too. Someday, someday. . .there'll be a Tuono in my garage. Maybe.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know why I added "other" as a choice. :lol

At least try and make a valid case for something else.

I did an extended ride on a Speed Triple and it didn't really do anything for me. I don't care for KTM so any of those are out. I thought maybe a ZX-10 as Kawasaki is my favorite Japanese brand, but honestly I'm thinking its most likely going to be another aprilia or BMW.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
if buying new, the ZX10 is not significantly cheaper enough to justify it over the BMW or other options. a Zx10 is something like 17 grand now. the BMW is 18 or so. less if you score a leftover.

also, i sat on and briefly rode an older on (08 I believe), and the thing had a wicked seat height. I'm 6'2 with a 33" inseam, and I was actually noticing how tall the friggin thing was.

to compare, I bend my knees to sit on the F4i with my feet on the ground. and did so on my 32" seat height SVS as well.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I really love my V2 Tuono, just rode it 200 miles on the backroads today actually, loads of fun. However it also gets shit fuel economy and has a tiny fuel tank, but the V4 gets even shitter fuel economy and has an even smaller tank, so take that for whatever it is.

I rode to the Aprilia dealer the other day and sat on the new V4 Tuono, the ergos are a tad more aggresive, pegs are further back and handlebars are lower, plus the seat is like a plank of wood instead of the nice plush one on the V2. I didn't think I'd be saying this, but I liked mine better. On the plus side though, they finally switched it to a cable clutch so no more screwing around with hydraulics. BUT the tank is still plastic, I don't know if they have expanding issues with those as well, but my V2 tank is expanded. It's not deformed or anything, the only time you notice it is when you remove the tank and then try to remount it, the screw holes don't line back up, so I have to use a flathead screwdriver wrapped in a towel to pry it back into place and then screw it in.

I also really like the K1300S and would have one if I had that kind of dough. I sat on one and felt like it fit me perfectly, plus, sidecases!

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The luggage on the R1200ST is outstanding and the bike really hauls. 500lbs wet and 110hp so it's no slouch. The K1300S is beautiful. I love that bike. I'm looking for a back road assault weapon. Long rides aren't in this bikes future.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
You have your comfort bike, you are craving speed. Nothing faster than the BMW S1000RR. :D

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Go RSV4.. You've got your comfort bikes.
No sense in getting a Naked when you don't need this bike to do anything but be a sportbike.
And I pick the RSV4 over the S1000RR because to me, you just seem like an Aprilia guy.
And, unfortunately, the S1k is becoming the new squid bike around here where I live.
And, that V4 sound, yum.
Post videos when you get it :)

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
S1000RR or the RSV4

Im missing my ole gsxr. Don't get me wrong I love my duke to death. But I'm looking at picking up a Ktm 500 exc and can be easly set up for supermoto.

A local dealer offered me a straight trade, my duke for his rsv mille.

I'm thinking I might be able to pick up the 500 exc with supermoto rims included in the purchase. Than trade my duke for the mille.

....... Now I just need to make sure I want to let the duke go.....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Turbo ZX-14R w/NoS

Honestly, RSV4 is my vote. The S1000RR/RSVR are great bikes, but I'm a large V4 fan.A V4 at 14,000 rpm with an aftermarket pipe? I'd probably have an eargasm... It'll drink fuel, but so what? It's not your comfort tourer. It's your corner carver.

The K1300 is the black sheep in this list. Heaviest, completely different purposed machine with that torquey ass engine, shaft drive etc. Great bike, not sure I'd get one as a purposeful corner caver, though. Maybe to replace your R1200ST, but you wouldn't do that, I don't think.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I am bias of course but I would go with the S1k. I do like the RSV4 as a very strong second though. I have a friend that got the first 2013 RSV4 in the states and he loves the bike. He will be taking it out to COTA this weekend for 2 fun filled days so I will have more info from him after.

The S1k however is less money than the RSV4 and in every test I have seen beats the RSV4 on the track. It is also more comfortable than the RSV4. The only thing that makes me want the RSV4 at all is the sound and looks honestly.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts