Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
bite the wax tadpole
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that know me, I have found someone who will tear down the bike, replace the shit that's broken, and put it back together, free labor, about $400 in parts, and my Daytona will look like a street fighter when he's done (due to no cheap fairings). I'm stoked and can't wait!

·
bite the wax tadpole
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep.

I'm not thrilled about riding around w/o fairings, but at least I'll be riding, so whatever.

·
THE LEAD.
514 Posts
well I was hopeing a junkyard for bikes was closer than bowling green ky so I could scout for some things for my bike. but then again cbrs are alot more plentifull.

·
bite the wax tadpole
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
congrats... but i spose you dont want to ride with me right when you get your bike back... :D

·
bite the wax tadpole
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
*If* I get the bike up and running, I've got a lot to get over mentally before I can go carving again.

I'll start slow in parking lots and commute around town. Then I'll step it up and start commuting to work on the Interstate.

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
na man i hear ya there... "getting back on the bucked horse..." hope all goes well with the rebuild...:beer

·
bite the wax tadpole
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: This morning, I got up extra early and trailered the bike with my friend's help. We had to haul it on it's side to let the crank case leak while we rode.

The bike is now at this guy's house and he gave it a good look over. He says it has lots of potential to become a mean street-fighter. He said when he gets home this evening, he'll be taking all the body work off of it and inspecting the frame and forks. If all looks good, he's going to put a few calls in to get the parts ordered.

By his estimations, the parts will cost $500-600, and should take 2-4 weeks to get to him. Since he'll be working on it outside of school and work, he thinks he'll have it up in about 2 months.

I'm friggin stoked!!

BTW, pics coming tonight of the bike on it's side on the trailer...

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
cant wait for the pics... and any help needed just ask i wouldnt mind putting some wrench time into a mean streetfighter... :beer

·
bite the wax tadpole
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pics of the bike on the trailer this morning before I dropped it off. Hopefully I'll get a chance to swing by the guy's place this weekend and get more pics.

Attachments

·
Track Junkie
2,462 Posts
I have a feeling that bike is going to look goooood naked.

·
bite the wax tadpole
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really hope so. The guy has weird ideas about the cockpit (or lack thereof, when he's done)... I'm nervous, but excited.

·
bite the wax tadpole
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I forgot pictures this go-around, but I'll try to remember to take some the next time.

BTW, I'm desperate for a few parts. Check the Triumph sportbike subboard and you'll see my brief list.

If you know where I can get some OEM Triumph parts, let me know!

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
good pics... just hate seeing such a nice bike on its side though... should look good as a street fighter though...

·
bite the wax tadpole
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
** Update **

I was able to find and purchase a used fuel tank and stator (magneto) w/ pigtail.

That knocks 2 huge components out of my hunt.

Now all I need is a crank case cover w/ gasket, clutch cable, and probably a transmission gasket. After that, I should be all set.

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
thats cool... shouldnt be hard at all to find whats left on your list... ron ayers should carry all of those and cheaper than anyone around...

·
bite the wax tadpole
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Things slowed down quite a bit as we searched for a used engine crank-case cover, but we bit the bullet and bought one (along with the crank case gasket, and transmission gasket) from Castle Powersports in Gallatin. I really didn't want to give them my business, but I guess I had to.

Right now we're waiting on the parts to arrive (mid November :() and I'll post pictures at that time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts