Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a long vacation in the tropical country of Vietnam and had missed my bike for a while. I got the bike back from buddy and rode it for a good amount of time. Without thinking, I left the key in the pocket of my jean and when out with my friends. Afterward, came home..took the pants of and threw it in the dirty laundry basket. The next day, I did laundry, forgetting the key was still in my pant. Well, I had four load of laundry at the laundrymat. Since it was close to my house, I left the stuff in the washer and came home for a bit, when I came back, some one has taken one of my load out of the washer, dried and then folded my cloth. By that time, I had remembered where the key was and look for it, hoping that the jean was not in the washed, dried and folded load. Well it was, and there was no key in the pocket. I search all over but couldn't find it. And I could not find the person that took my cloth out, they only left a piece of paper saying that they did that. I know it was my dumbass for leaving the key in the jean so I don't really blame the person that took my cloth out. I really need some help on getting a new key for my bike. I bought this bike used from a SBN member here. I heard about taking out the ignition on the 02 R6 but it seems pretty hard. The dealer I took it to would not cut me a new key even with my VIN number. So what are my options now??? Can a locksmith pick the ignition and make me a new key?? Please help

·
Registered
148 Posts
You or the original owner should have the key code. That is the only way a new key can be made. The dealer that the original owner bought it from should have that code in their records.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A relatively good locksmith can make you a key.....he takes a master copy key that's close to the real key....files at the key to fine tune it and Viola....new key. TYVM :beer

·
Registered
471 Posts
bluefire009 said:
I left the stuff in the washer and came home for a bit, when I came back, some one has taken one of my load out of the washer, dried and then folded my cloth.
this line alone makes me not believe the story :eek:nfloor

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
I've had a locksmith remake a key for my Daytona 900. They didn't have anything even close to a british key blank. So he found one that "fit" in the ignition, and slowly filed it, and tweaked it until it worked. And it worked great.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, it really did happen that way. Have you not ever left your clothes at the laundry mat to go home and get stuff? I lived within walking distance so I figure I could go home and grab a bite to eat while my cloth is washing.

I found out the orginal dealer and guess what....they didn't record the key code. So now i have to find locksmith. I heard the 02 R6 is really hard to break into so I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
CornerKiller said:
A relatively good locksmith can make you a key.....he takes a master copy key that's close to the real key....files at the key to fine tune it and Viola....new key. TYVM :beer
Your right a good locksmith can help but A friend had a similar problem. He went to a locksmith, found a similar blank. He filed it down, got to fit only thing was that with all filing to make it fit, the blank became to weak and snapped in his ignition. Bring proof of ownership and i.d. and your dealer should be able to get you a new key. Good luck.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Take the title to your dealer and see if they can get a new key. I have a lot of people do it with bikes. Next option....buy a new switch and swap it out, though the tank key will not fit anymore so have to swap that too. A good locksmith can do wonders though and the prices varies so it could be a little on the expensive side.

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
FloridaMike said:
this line alone makes me not believe the story :eek:nfloor
Yeah, no shit, nobody has the common courtesy to put it in an empty dryer, let alone fold your shit

·
Registered
297 Posts
if u can get off your helmet lock or gas cap etc. a locksmith can do it

later
Michael

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
bluefire009 said:
I heard the gas cap does not have as many pins as the ignition switch so it may not fit, is that right?
I don't know about that but with my friend who had a locksmith make a new key. He was filing the key based on how it fit in the gas cap, got it to work smoothly and then when he went to the ignition, after a couple of turns it snapped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts