Sport Bikes banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
318 Posts
last two tires i changed, i didn't need weights at all. on m/c tires you line up the red dots on the opposite side of the valve stem, I think...might be the opposite way. I will check for you guys in a few.

To balance, you need to make two 2x4's the same height and nail/screw them to another piece of wood having the 2x4's far enough apart to fit your rear wheel in it.

then, you need to make something so when you put the wheel on, it won't roll off the top of the 2x4's.

For a double sided swing arm, you are set. SS swing arms are pretty much dealer/tire changer only to balance.

You use the axle to hold the wheel, make sure you clean off the axle and put grease on it so the wheel will spin freely.

then you barely spin the wheel and whichever part stops at the bottom pointing to the ground is the heavy part. mark it with a crayon or chalk or something. spin the tire agian and remark. do it a couple of times and if the same spot doesn't point to the ground, your wheel/tire is balanced.

· Registered
318 Posts
gpTT brings up a good point. It "should" be the heaviest part of the rim, but if your rim as seen abuse, it probably won't be.

So before you mount the new tire, take off the old one, take off any weights, then spin your wheel like you would if the tire were on there. Mark the heaviest spot and then put the red dots on the tire at that spot(that is what I have on my bike, someone correct me if I am wrong, but that is where I had a racer friend tell me to put it).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.