Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a tire changing equpment and changed my first tire today.
I didn't bent a rotor, didn't scratch the wheel.
It's not bad at all.
if the dealer charges you $50 for mount and balance, I think it's worth changing my own tires.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Did you balance them yourself too? That's the only thing keeping me from doing mine.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Is it possible to get tires that're already balanced? Like if you get lucky they'll be perfect? I didn't think so, my old tires had weights on the rims, and when I got new tires and took them to be changed/balanced at the Yamaha place, they didn't put any weights on the rims. I thought that kind of strange.

Oh yeah, and those bastards chaged me 130 to do both front and rear, grrr.

·
I buy cars
130 Posts
You can get lucky and not have to balance a tire, but 95% of the time, the wheel is going to require atleast some weight to balance out perfectly.

·
Registered
318 Posts
last two tires i changed, i didn't need weights at all. on m/c tires you line up the red dots on the opposite side of the valve stem, I think...might be the opposite way. I will check for you guys in a few.

To balance, you need to make two 2x4's the same height and nail/screw them to another piece of wood having the 2x4's far enough apart to fit your rear wheel in it.

then, you need to make something so when you put the wheel on, it won't roll off the top of the 2x4's.

For a double sided swing arm, you are set. SS swing arms are pretty much dealer/tire changer only to balance.

You use the axle to hold the wheel, make sure you clean off the axle and put grease on it so the wheel will spin freely.

then you barely spin the wheel and whichever part stops at the bottom pointing to the ground is the heavy part. mark it with a crayon or chalk or something. spin the tire agian and remark. do it a couple of times and if the same spot doesn't point to the ground, your wheel/tire is balanced.

·
Registered
954 Posts
-rant- I'm thinkin i kinda got screwed over by them, they told me it'd be 100 and done by 12 noon, it was 130 and done by 4. They said they had to charge me extra because it took the guy a long time to get the back tire back in the bike because the rear brake pad kept falling out. He said that was due to the fact it was completely worn down. Well I had taken off my tire not to long before that and I still had a little pad, although it was worn down good. they also drained my brake fluid or something, I had no rear brake when they were done!

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Desp said:
-rant- I'm thinkin i kinda got screwed over by them, they told me it'd be 100 and done by 12 noon, it was 130 and done by 4. They said they had to charge me extra because it took the guy a long time to get the back tire back in the bike because the rear brake pad kept falling out. He said that was due to the fact it was completely worn down. Well I had taken off my tire not to long before that and I still had a little pad, although it was worn down good. they also drained my brake fluid or something, I had no rear brake when they were done!
130 to get the tires mounted? lmao, dude it shoulda been like 50 TOPS

·
Registered
138 Posts
paulF3 said:
last two tires i changed, i didn't need weights at all. on m/c tires you line up the red dots on the opposite side of the valve stem, I think...might be the opposite way. I will check for you guys in a few.
Not quite. Before mounting the new tire, you should check the balance of the rim itself. The valve stem isn't always the heaviest part of the tire/rotor assembly. Find and mark the heaviest portion of the rim, then you can mount the tire accordingly.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Every dealer I called said it was going to be around 60+ for the front and 40+ for the rear, only way I could have gotten it done cheaper is by taking off the tires from the bike and bringing them in like that, but I wanted the dealer to take them off and put them on, that way if they came off the bike or something the dealer would be responsible. I need to go somewhere else besides dealers to get work done :mad:

·
Registered
318 Posts
gpTT brings up a good point. It "should" be the heaviest part of the rim, but if your rim as seen abuse, it probably won't be.

So before you mount the new tire, take off the old one, take off any weights, then spin your wheel like you would if the tire were on there. Mark the heaviest spot and then put the red dots on the tire at that spot(that is what I have on my bike, someone correct me if I am wrong, but that is where I had a racer friend tell me to put it).

·
Registered
346 Posts
damn, you guys are getting robbed. i take my lose rims to the shop and get my new tires put on for $10 a wheel, mounted and balanced.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I work at a place that changes tires. If you plan on using the gravity method just know that it isnt "perfect". If you plan on doing some high speed riding then dont take the chance. Find a shop that will balance the tire for you. Some places might give you a discount for only balancing the tire. Also any rubber valve stem must be replaced every time that you change the tire. A pack of ten only cost a couple bucks so its not a huge purchase for every tire change.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I change my tires for a few years now, and always static balance tires using axle placed on two chairs. Assuming the friction in the bearings is very little, it works pretty good. I even compensated for the weight of aluminum valve cap (which was a bit overkill, of course, but made me feel good).

Even if friction is a bit too much to do it perfectly, after you turn the tire a few times, you get a pretty good idea where the heavy part is.

Works for me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What tools did you get?

I'm going to be buying tires/tools within a week. I've been looking through freight harbor, and they have some good stuff that comes in under $100 for the tools. That brings the whole tire change to about the same price as getting tires through a dealer. Then I own the tools :D

I will also use the gravity method, and if I get any kind of wobble, I'll get them speed ballanced.

·
Registered
138 Posts
dmk said:
i got it here
http://www.tireqwik.com/tireqwik/

and yes, it comes with a balancer. And I think it works damn good. There is so little friction, it took the tire good 5 min to come to a complete stop, after rocking back and forth.
Have to add my recommendation for this set. I bought a set, and found out that the guy that runs that business lives just a few towns north of me. Fellow rider, good guy. Everything you need for about the price of a rear tire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts