Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Yeah, I remember seeing these a few months ago. Look nice, but never seen them painted.

·
Registered
522 Posts
that looks pretty badass. it kind of has the endurance race look to it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i like the headlight on it

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
need headlights to be visible... i think the front fairing sux but its racing botties

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've seen one of those kits on a zx7. I think that is probably the only way to make that bike (zx7) look any different than every onther 7.

·
Registered
107 Posts
CasterTroy said:
Not diggin the cylops look...needs 2 lights
+1

I've always prefered the finished look of OEM bodywork to aftermarket "gets the job done" stuff...on streetbikes that is...for true track bikes, it's definately a good alternative. That bodywork looks pretty good though.

·
Registered
584 Posts
looks like fiberglass!?! What is it? If it is, then it will crack the whole assembly after the first contact with a road

·
Registered
912 Posts
Stupid to spend so much money. And you still have to paint it

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
It's most likely fiberglass. The good part about fiberglass, even though it cracks a little easier than OEM plastics, it can be repaired MUCH EASIER. A monkey with a fiberglass repair kit could do it, it's not hard at all. Although I agree that it doesn't make much sense as street body work. I bought my racing bodywork unpainted and just sprayed it myself, it looks fine to me, but it's A TRACK BIKE, not a street bike, it's not supposed to be ultra pretty, supposed to be functional. I agree with the one headlight opinion too, but I don't think there is a way they could have made it look any better with two (ala new style Ducs)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have never understood the nessecity for race plastics.... i mean the aerodynamics differences are virtually nil... it doesent offer that much more by way of crashability (especially if you paint em $$$ :dunno ) ... I mean if you dont want to trash the stock plastics, why not pick up some really rashed ones? It just seems weird to put such expensive pieces of plastic on a bike that could very likely crash... Dont get me wrong I think it looks great (painted), but i dont get why so many people think that its like a nessecity to put different plastics on their bike to ride it at a track.... All you really need is tape for the lights. The rest (blinkers, mirrors) you can remove... Someone give me a good reason why? Is it just for 'the look'?

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
phaderlanx said:
I have never understood the nessecity for race plastics.... i mean the aerodynamics differences are virtually nil... it doesent offer that much more by way of crashability (especially if you paint em $$$ :dunno ) ... I mean if you dont want to trash the stock plastics, why not pick up some really rashed ones? It just seems weird to put such expensive pieces of plastic on a bike that could very likely crash... Dont get me wrong I think it looks great (painted), but i dont get why so many people think that its like a nessecity to put different plastics on their bike to ride it at a track.... All you really need is tape for the lights. The rest (blinkers, mirrors) you can remove... Someone give me a good reason why? Is it just for 'the look'?
THE BIG REASONS:

FULL BELLY PAN!
EASE OF REPAIR!

Most sanctioned race organizations require a belly pan capable of holding up to 4 (or 5) quarts of liquid. Also other minor reasons are weight reduction, a real track bike needs to lose as much weight as it can, so they aren't gonna tape up the light, they are gonna rip out the light, therefore you need race bodywork. You don't think of a track bike as "maybe one day I might wreck on it" you think "when I wreck, what am I gonna have to replace/repair" It's alot less expensive to repair fiberglass than it is to buy new/rashed plastics everytime. But yeah, mainly the belly pan.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Filip75 said:
looks like fiberglass!?! What is it? If it is, then it will crack the whole assembly after the first contact with a road

i have had a nice HARD crash on my 250...guess how many cracks i got? ZERO. it got knocked off the rearstand some how too...zero cracks. they reinforce this stuff pretty well. and when race bodywork does crack/shred it can be repaired, plastic is a little trickier to repair than fiberglass.

/slap phaderlanx

i personally like the hotbodies street bodywork.

·
Registered
117 Posts
firefighter81 said:
THE BIG REASONS:

FULL BELLY PAN!
EASE OF REPAIR!

Most sanctioned race organizations require a belly pan capable of holding up to 4 (or 5) quarts of liquid. Also other minor reasons are weight reduction, a real track bike needs to lose as much weight as it can, so they aren't gonna tape up the light, they are gonna rip out the light, therefore you need race bodywork. You don't think of a track bike as "maybe one day I might wreck on it" you think "when I wreck, what am I gonna have to replace/repair" It's alot less expensive to repair fiberglass than it is to buy new/rashed plastics everytime. But yeah, mainly the belly pan.
Ah, ok... i didnt know about the belly pan thing. But the weight reduction is a little sketchy.. But I guess I see the point of making it more simple and crashable to some extent.... thanks for the belly pan thing- didnt know that

·
Registered
646 Posts
Very interesting on the Racing over Street plastics argument.
Personally I like the headlight a lot. Its different and If you happen to need new plastics for your bike because you wrecked, then thats not a bad way to go compared to factory plastics...

·
Registered
457 Posts
firefighter81 said:
It's most likely fiberglass. The good part about fiberglass, even though it cracks a little easier than OEM plastics, it can be repaired MUCH EASIER. A monkey with a fiberglass repair kit could do it, it's not hard at all. Although I agree that it doesn't make much sense as street body work. I bought my racing bodywork unpainted and just sprayed it myself, it looks fine to me, but it's A TRACK BIKE, not a street bike, it's not supposed to be ultra pretty, supposed to be functional. I agree with the one headlight opinion too, but I don't think there is a way they could have made it look any better with two (ala new style Ducs)
oh shit.. how much is the monkey going to cost me?

·
Registered
926 Posts
MaxOwner said:
oh shit.. how much is the monkey going to cost me?
upper.......450
lower.......175
tail..........150
fender......75

total........850

race bodywork is a lot cheaper (600)
:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts