Sport Bikes banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah I was wondering...will I ever get old, frail and just stop riding out of force? I mean most of us have been riding for years...but what happens when you ride and can't get it up....See for yourself. What do you think? Will someone take your keys? Will you volunteer them? When will you know?

This is NFS (Not For the Sensitive)

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
some of us will choose to give it up.

some of us won't.

I will be on the side that probably won't until I physically can't anymore. then again, I'll probably also be on the side that's dead before 60, so, yeah.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some of us will choose to give it up.

some of us won't.

I will be on the side that probably won't until I physically can't anymore. then again, I'll probably also be on the side that's dead before 60, so, yeah.
I knew a friend who kept falling and falling due to lack of adjustment to the ever changing times of society and their driving habits.
He kept trying to sell me his Harley and I vowed to never ever own another Harley again (ughh POS fatboy!)
Problem was he never realized all the dents, dings and shit that happened to actually depreciated the damn thing.
And all he ever banked on was "But its an 883 Harley"..I was like "sorry man...I cant afford it".
Sadly I saw him pass away from a heart attack in his living room while EMTs attempted to revive him. I remember having to move the Harley from the sidewalk and push it to the side of the garage for the coroner to get him out. Guy was in his late 60's and just rode that Harley like 6 months prior.

Eh....I hope I just pop like a bulb.

·
CCS# 616
915 Posts
Yeah I was wondering...will I ever get old, frail and just stop riding out of force? I mean most of us have been riding for years...but what happens when you ride and can't get it up....See for yourself. What do you think? Will someone take your keys? Will you volunteer them? When will you know?

This is NFS (Not For the Sensitive)

I found a Harley just lying in the road... mild motorcycle wreck. - YouTube
I think we need some subtitles for that video...:eek:nfloor

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
the basic jist is that he dumped it and couldn't pick it up.

end of.

·
Rider
101 Posts
Time comes when you have to either downsize or add a wheel if you live long enough. I'll do this year on my GS500 but maybe replace it with a 250 next year. Would miss not leaning the right way in the curves.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'll give it up voluntarily since I don't want to end up like my dad and be a hazard to other folks. he needs to hang it up. not riding since he doesn't but he needs to quit driving all together. when a person leaves, gone for a few hours, shows back up and can't recall why or where they went.... it's time to hand em over.

I hope I'm aware enough to know to quit. I can do without a bike since i've done it before. just worried about harming others.

as far as picking it up... well, if I'm to that point, still feel i can ride, I'll move down in weight. If that doesn't work, guess I'll either move back into cars or get a Can-Am Spyder.

on a sidenote, if my brother can lift up a GW1500 by himself (a few years older than I and weighs 150 sopping weight), I think I'll be gtg for a few more years.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Why was the video NFS? I do not know what was worse, the 900lb harley or the lame can-am and the "rider" saying how "us riders" help each other out. Harley riders are not really riders for the most part, can-am "riders" are just people driving around in convertible cars with a wheel missing. lol

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why was the video NFS? I do not know what was worse, the 900lb harley or the lame can-am and the "rider" saying how "us riders" help each other out. Harley riders are not really riders for the most part, can-am "riders" are just people driving around in convertible cars with a wheel missing. lol

It was "NFS not for the sensitive" because people are just too sensitive these days. Hey just be glad I didn't put some sad music in the background..we would really be screwed.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I'll give it up voluntarily since I don't want to end up like my dad and be a hazard to other folks. he needs to hang it up. not riding since he doesn't but he needs to quit driving all together. when a person leaves, gone for a few hours, shows back up and can't recall why or where they went.... it's time to hand em over.
Sorry to hear, it doesn't usually get better. The one and only time I rode at sustained triple digit speeds was when my old man some who latched onto a set of keys for the car. I thought I'd corralled all 200 of them, but he found another. He took off while I was in the john. I called a family friend to stay at the house, called the cops, and took off on my brother's '86 Ninja 1000. Damn thing did north of 150 sustained effortlessly, quite the machine.

Things I learned that day. Cars closing in excess of 200 mph are no longer cars, they're just blurs of color. And stopping suddenly from triple digit speeds is inherently and insanely dangerous. I was able to identify my old man's car form colored styrofoam ball on the antenna (a compensatory behavior because he kept loosing his car in parking lots). I do recall thinking that if I was chasing down a different confused old man with a styrofoam ball on his antenna that he'd soon be an ex-old man. Anyhow, my father was able to drive home successfully with me trailing behind. Last time I ever saw him smile.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Time comes when you have to either downsize or add a wheel if you live long enough. I'll do this year on my GS500 but maybe replace it with a 250 next year. Would miss not leaning the right way in the curves.
Holy shit I just noticed this.

You're 81 dude? Well done sir! Well done!

Reactions: Oni and glenn3
1 - 16 of 16 Posts