Sport Bikes banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and searched for this question and have not come up with an answer.

I need to replace my steering stem bearings and want to put the allball bearings in instead of the stock ball bearings. I have heard that they are better.

I was wondering how many if any of you guys out there have replaced the bearings yourself. I know in the manual it states that you need a proper tool for removal and installation, but is this 100% necessary. I'm a machinist and was wondering if i could just make a make shift tool.

Anyways if you have any feedback on this topic please let me know. I don't really want to pay someone to do it if i can myself. oh and this is on a 06 600rr if that matters. thanks

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey from across the state. :)

I put an Allballs set in the 1KRR I rebuilt this summer. Nice heavy tapered roller-bearing and for less than forty bucks why the Hell wouldn't you?

I found it really easy to do and I just used sockets, sections of pipe, or whatever fit. You can turn some nice precise drivers on a lathe.

Put the parts you would like to be a little smaller temporarily for the fitup in the freezer for a few hours beforehand and stuff goes together easily. I put the races and the whole stem in.

Oh, and as far as tightening the whole shebang up in the end, don't be afraid to crank on it for the final torque. I was amazed at how much torque I could get without a hint of binding. Much different than the uncaged balls that came out of there.

Best of luck with yours.
Cheers

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Yes, you can do it yourself. It's something of a PITA, but if you're a machinist there's absolutely nothing to be concerned about. Largely a matter of being comfortable with press-fit parts and figuring ways to apply pressure remotely. The people who have problems are clowns like me whose idea of tool fabrication is finding the right ID water pipe at Home Depot and hacking off a foot of it.

KeS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.