Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason the implication of my K13S being a dry sump bike escaped me until now, the time for the first oil change.

Go out and ride the bike until the oil is nice and scalding hot, just like any bike.

Then take the seat off, pull the oil return line from the top of the oil tank, plug it with some unspecified and unprovided gizmo, and fish it down along the frame to the bottom of the bike.

Remove your gizmo and let the oil drain through the 3/8" tube into an oil pan. Takes about half an hour.

Pull the tube back up to the top of the bike and reattach it to the oil tank.

Then you get to remove a sump bolt just like in a regular bike, because there are a few dribs of oil in there too.

Now let me introduce you to the joys of a horizontally-mounted oil filter full of oil.

On the bright side, you don't have to pull any bodywork for any of this! Of course, I wouldn't have to on a CB750K, either...

KeS

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
That's the deal with dry sump bikes. On the XT660s you drain the oil tank and then there is another bolt to drain the engine. Then you add about half the oil, let it run for a couple minutes and finally add the rest of the oil in the oil tank.

Knowing what the real oil level is... Almost impossible.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
You guys want to man up and try a KTM . I have done all those bikes and they are all easier than a KTM , plastics off, horizontal filter , sometimes 2 , and a screen .. multipul drain and fill points in places funnels dont fit , oil in frame, oil in tank, oil in engine oil in shoes and all over workshop floor AAAAAaaaAAAARrRRRrRGGG

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Buell 1125 motor was pretty annoying, too. Pretty much when you have multiple drain points, you lose the engineering award as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I drained the tank today (or started to), and it actually wasn't bad at all. After removing the return line from the top, it was easy to route it down and out over the brake side footpeg without spilling a drop. I just left it to drain cold since I'll be gone all weekend.

KeS

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
That said, I drained the tank today (or started to), and it actually wasn't bad at all. After removing the return line from the top, it was easy to route it down and out over the brake side footpeg without spilling a drop. I just left it to drain cold since I'll be gone all weekend.

KeS
once the hose is out, start the engine and throw a few revs at it. let the oil pump speed up the process. run it for a few extra minute to be sure it is empty...

:topsecret

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cripes, I forgot all about the "first oil change filter removal" nightmare. Why do the factories even spec a torque when they completely ignore it and machine gun the damned things on?!? This one is so bad my never-fail-this'll-get-the-damn-thing-off tool won't budge it. I'll have to store up more profanity for lube and try again tomorrow.

KeS

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts