Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story kids....this guy I know never has rode a bike before so he goes about 1.5 months ago to get a used Katana 600. No problem except that he rides like shiznet (I know because I have rode with him a few times and he has almost caused a few accidents with me and some others--very erratic)! 2 weeks ago he broke his toe--that's right--his toe--letting his feet drag in a parking lot. :alky

He has asked my advice about getting another bike which I told him to keep the Kat for about a year and then move up. He agrees BUT has been looking at bikes anyway.....he says he wants my R6...I tell him it's too much bike for him and you need to learn better riding skills.

So just spoke with him and guess what????

He's getting a new bike next week and I ask what kind and he tells me a ZX-10 and proceeds to tell me that

"oh, it's not like I can wheelie it or anything, it's much harder to do that on that bike" (mind you--he barely has a clue about bikes and all their parts).
I laugh and say, "what? it's a liter bike what are you talking about?"
He says,"oh yeah I know it can haul ass...but it's not like one of those Gixters" LOL

Then he tells me his friend who just bought a Kat 750 is going to sell his and get a 1000RR :alky Again, another guy who has no idea how to ride well...
His friend is recently divorced and the guy I know is getting his divorce finalized 7/26/04. :lol

I'm done! I tried to persuade him to lay off buying a more powerful bike and learn better riding skills and he used to be a paramedic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried but it really all boils down to an overblown ego that is waaaaaaay to big for me to try and squash!!

I guarantee he gets that ZX-10 and in the 1st week something happens. I would put all my $$ on it! I really hope I am wrong but..... :dunno

BTW--wears no gear except a helmet....

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
Another one bites the dust.

That is really to bad, maybe you could try giving him this websites address and tell him to read some. Oh well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ouch, lemme know when I can pick up a cheap zx-10.

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
wow... well sorry to hear about squidly mandingo. I'm glad I don't have an ego like that. I did however make a mistake of buying a powerful bike as my first bike. But that was because I didn't have anyone giving me advice (except for my dad trying to tell me to get me to buy a harley davidson sporty.) I am a big guy as you know. I didn't wanna look like a goofball on a small bike. But i also didnt realize the power differences betweena big and a small bike. Thankfully I have road larger harleys and dirtbikes before so I didn't kill myself yet. I got my SV on May 1st. I have come ALONG way. Alot of it comes from friends letting me ride their smaller bikes alot. I have been forced to ride in the rain (spent two hours in an empty parking lot practicing before riding home in the rain my first time.) That taught me alot about throttle control. Luckily my size helps me to somewhat keep my bike undercontrol. Yet it can still easily over power me in a heartbeat. Thankfully through many of you here on SBN I have learned proper techniques and safety habits. When I first started riding i would even go without my helmet and wear shorts for rides. Now I getting ready to get full summer gear and have full leathers coming after that. I never ride without my lid now. I have been lucky enough to convince some newbies to learn on smaller bikes. Sorry that this isn't the case with your friend sixxy. I have a friend that has been riding for 20 years. He has had a busa. He just got a zx-10 and it scares the hell out of him. He has one inch chicken strips on is tires because he is too afraid fo the touchy throttle in turns. May god be with your friend and hope the accident he is going to have is going to be minor

·
Registered
34 Posts
What a poor decision on your friends part, you can't make up skills with cc's. You should show him this thread once it progresses... Also ask him how he can justify the purchase of a liter bike when you'll still be able to outride him on a bike with 40% less displacement :) .

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Take out an insurance policie with you being on the receiving end.

For real,do this.You do not need there permision.

·
Registered
29 Posts
try to be supportive and talk him into gear. He's gonna do whatever he wants, but maybe he'll buy a jacket and gloves, at the very least if he thinks he'll look cool on the bike.

·
Crash test dummy
138 Posts
Sounds like he needs to sell the Kat and get a Ninja 250 to me.

·
Registered
918 Posts
It sounds like Darwin will take care of your friends. Be supportive and try to get them to ride intelligently, but in the end remember that you're not responsible.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jester27 said:
try to be supportive and talk him into gear. He's gonna do whatever he wants, but maybe he'll buy a jacket and gloves, at the very least if he thinks he'll look cool on the bike.
That I have tried..but he says it's too hot to wear all that stuff...even at night.

I have been supportive but now I don't want to ride anywhere near him or his buddy--I am not the best rider in the world but I don't want someone taking me down with them.

I know he is only doing this because of the "girl" factor or should I say curb monkey factor and because of his friend and of course his pending divorce....BTW this guy isn't a kid---he's 38 with 2 kids of his own--ages 2 and 8!!

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Maybe you should let him live his life as he sees fit, as he lets you live yours, I'm assuming. Even if living his life as he sees results in the end of living. It's still his to give. Worry about yourself. As you said, he's 38. He's not a kid. He doesn't need adult supervised decision making help.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TheWraith said:
Maybe you should let him live his life as he sees fit, as he lets you live yours, I'm assuming. Even if living his life as he sees results in the end of living. It's still his to give. Worry about yourself. As you said, he's 38. He's not a kid. He doesn't need adult supervised decision making help.

That's why I didn't say anything more this evening to him....however when someone keeps asking my advice about what bike to get yadda yadda yadda...they are making it my business at that point.

I happen to care for my friends...but there does come a time when I just throw up my hands and say---whatever!!! Do as you please... :dunno

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
If you care for your friends so much, before he gets his bike..ask to be written into his will :twofinger

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rascus--you are bad...BTW I sent you an email--hope you got it ;)

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
RSixxygrl said:
That's why I didn't say anything more this evening to him....however when someone keeps asking my advice about what bike to get yadda yadda yadda...they are making it my business at that point.

I happen to care for my friends...but there does come a time when I just throw up my hands and say---whatever!!! Do as you please... :dunno
My point is, advice about which bike you prefer doesn't immediately invite a conversation of moral injecture. What if he'd asked you between two bikes which you like best, without stating why? Would you have asked, "Why? Are you thinking about actually buying either of those?"? Or, would you have just offered your opinion? I know it's hypothetical and doesn't stricktly apply to this scenario, but I'm curious.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
actually he wanted the R6 as I stated in my first post...I am tired it's 1:45am LOL
That's all he kept saying then he said he wanted the "Gixter 1000"--yes his own words. Like I stated in my first post.....I told him to wait as he asked if he should get either of those bikes NOW...

Point is....he asked, I gave him advice (when he asked for it--it was not unsolicted) and he's going to do what he's going to do...period! I can only pray that nothing bad happens to him........

·
Registered
13 Posts
a newbie with "erratic" skills on a NEW ZX-10 (or any "advanced" bike for that matter)?? :spank

if you care (even just a smidgen) for him and his family, don't give up on him just yet (yes, prayer helps, but he ain't dead YET!).
Just in case you haven't gone this route, maybe plea on behalf of his young children, i.e. it sucks to grow up without a daddy, the 8 y/o is old enough to notice you're not around, etc. Yes, a cheap angle, I know, and depressing and even a little condescending, but DAMN him if it doesn't check his ego. (but maybe it'll be better received if delivered by a female friend with the whole maternal vibe :dunno ham it up, RSixxygrl!)

(in case you haven't done the following already)
Continue your plea by suggesting it's in the best interests of his FAMILY (clearly he doesn't give a sh#t about himself) to take the MSF course, wear full gear ALL the time, bump up his health and life insurance, and read Proficient Motorcycling (David Hough). Also, suggest that he religiously visit online forums like this one (and some squiddy ones too) so he can learn from other riders' mistakes by reading 'crash reports' and the like (in addition to soaking up all the other valuable nuggets of wisdom available online).

But yeah, he's definitely gonna do whatever the hell he wants. If he scoffs at your continued efforts, then just wish him well and inform him of your vow to never ride with him. Maybe he'll be more receptive to your advice after his first crash (if he survives and still wants to ride).

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
RSixxygrl said:
Rascus--you are bad...BTW I sent you an email--hope you got it ;)

Hey, at least he would have made ONE smart decision before something happened.

You sent me an email huh?? Is it what I think it is? :spank :headbang

·
Registered
247 Posts
RSixxygrl said:
I tried but it really all boils down to an overblown ego that is waaaaaaay to big for me to try and squash!!
The unfortunate thing here is that even if his ego is too big for you to squash, the road or an oncoming car will have no such problem. Too bad his ego is not all that will get squashed.

You are a good friend for trying, RSixxy, but there is only so much a friend can be expected to do.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts