Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think an ankle is suppose to look like that is it?
I don't think I will be riding for a few days.
So I gotta ditch the real story of landing on the side of someones shoe, playing basketball hearing a little popping kind of noise and excruciating pain.
So lets see I was on umm turn 42 at umm Talladega and I was doing uhh 162 Mph draggin knee when my boot touched down and twisted my ankle. Its okay though I toughened up and went on to finish 124 more laps broke 3 lap records and won the race by 1min 42sec. Then the winner stand babes felt sorry for me and went back to my hotel room to take care of me. Yah that's just how it happened.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Ouch, I know that hurts! I've rolled my ankles so many times during my life that I don't think there is a way to even count that high! Get some ice on there and take some ibuprofen. And welcome to SBN!! :twofinger

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't do much now so I am sittin here readin/postin with an icepack on. I had to go buy some ice packs and ibuprofen, and the cashier asks for my ID. For what? Ibuprofen, thats funny. I was ready to throw my foot up on the counter and say see I need it now give me my damn ibuprofen so I can hobble out of here. Took me like 2 hrs to hobble in to the store find it and get back in my truck. Well it felt like that long. Well thank goodness I got A/C to relax in.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I really think you should make an app't with your doctor or hobble to the ER. At least it wasn't any sort of blunt trauma so I am figuring it is probably a grade II sprain but I am not a doctor.

RICE= Rest Ice Compression Elevation
I can't stress that enough! 20 minutes on and 10 minutes off with the ice, keep that foot elevated, wrap it tightly, but not too tightly- in an ACE bandage, and see the doctor.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
You wanna know the best way I've learned to deal with a sprained ankle? By applying ice for 20 minutes, then applying heat for 20 minutes, and repeat. This is what I use to do in High School during Track when I would sprain my ankles. In two to four weeks I was good to go every time.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Can I join the club? I did this last night while riding Davisa's fiddy at the Miltown Wheelie Boyz spot. Luckily it doesn't hurt at all. The worst part about it is that when I went down I was the only one riding and I think there were 7 people watching.

Attachments

·
Jerk
990 Posts
Oh the carnage!

I did the ice-hot routine in Whister after a bad snowboarding landing and my ankle siezed up at a weird angle and I had to go to the hospital and get them to set it to where I could stand upright and cast it so it would heal properly.

Note: go through the airport on crutches and you wait in no lines. :)

Tom.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Gixxinator said:
hearing a little popping kind of noise and excruciating pain.
this not good - usually indicative of a tear...you need to go see your doctor...because if the tear is bad enough every step (hobble) you take was the potential to make it worse.....

hope it's just a simple sprain :beer

·
Registered
516 Posts
First, prior to medical advice, welcome...

I've done what Jake's done, and I will agree with that one. Powerlifters do something similar with a shower. Get in, turn it on as hot as you can stand, soak for two mins, then go ice cold for two. Back to hot for two, then ice cold again. Helps with blood flow to the muscles/ligaments. For ibuprofen, go up to 1200 mg a couple times a day. Yeah, that's above the recommended dosage on the bottle, but that's what hospitals give you. And one thing that works just as well as ice packs are frozen vegetable packs like peas or corn. They tend to mold more around the foot or elbow. I'll have my g/f look at the pic. She's a physician's assistant so she'll probably end up writing you a dissertation on what's wrong.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Triple_Z said:
For ibuprofen, go up to 1200 mg a couple times a day. Yeah, that's above the recommended dosage on the bottle, but that's what hospitals give you.
i've never given a dose over 800 mg at a time but that's three times a day so if your only doing 2400 mg total it's still within the recommended dosage....

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
badgixxer said:
i've never given a dose over 800 mg at a time but that's three times a day so if your only doing 2400 mg total it's still within the recommended dosage....
Yes'm. that is correct. My experiences with perscribed ibuprofen were either 600 mg pills 4 times a day or 800 mg pills 3 times a day. :dblthumb

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Jake said:
Yes'm. that is correct. My experiences with perscribed ibuprofen were either 600 mg pills 4 times a day or 800 mg pills 3 times a day. :dblthumb
yeah i kinda know a thing or 2 about medicine - since i've been doing it for awhile now..... :neener

·
Registered
252 Posts
Dude...

Hope you feel better, foot looks bad, go to the doctor have them x-ray the foot. Wow! feel for you... I guess I will not be seeing you soon on E. Washington.

Well, just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery...

CyberBiker :cry

·
Registered
516 Posts
badgixxer said:
yeah i kinda know a thing or 2 about medicine - since i've been doing it for awhile now..... :neener
I stand corrected. I take four at a time...and since they're 200 mg capsules, I guess that is 800 mg. Really bad when an engineer can't multiply anymore. I do that 3x per day. Call me an idiot... :bitchslap

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Triple_Z said:
I Really bad when an engineer can't multiply anymore. I do that 3x per day. Call me an idiot... :bitchslap
yep you engineers get used to doinsuch complex equations that the easy ones become to hard... :neener

·
50cc's of Honda power!
793 Posts
Moses said:
Can I join the club? I did this last night while riding Davisa's fiddy at the Miltown Wheelie Boyz spot. Luckily it doesn't hurt at all. The worst part about it is that when I went down I was the only one riding and I think there were 7 people watching.
damn! dude my bike owns you!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Gixx, yes, you need to see a doctor with that one. That's some pretty serious swelling and with the noises you heard/felt, you've quite probably torn something.

Moses...was that impact, dragging, or did you twist it?

As to me...well...I'm not sure yet if it's just age taking it's toll or if I've got something fairly serious to deal with.

I've been making a (serious) effort to get back into shape. Started on a really easy running plan, as I did run for the exercise years ago.

However, I'd tried to run once or twice over the past year ago, clearly tried to push too hard too soon and ended up not sticking with it...so I took the structured approach.

Even so, the thing that made me quit the past couple of years is still rearing its ugly head at me and now I have an appointment with a sportsmed doc on Friday. I'd be more likely to believe I was simply "that out of shape" if this were bothering both legs, but frankly my left leg was doing pretty good. My right leg, however, I think is having a case of "exertional compartment syndrome". I'm not positive, but I found the description by accident and it's a 100% match to what I notice with my right leg and explains some things I went through in younger years as well.

In ECS, the "sheath" of tissue (called a 'fascia') around a "compartment" of muscles (of which there are like 4 in the lower leg) is not large or flexible enough to accommodate the muscle growth as the blood starts pumping. As I continue to run, the tightness and pain gets worse and worse until I feel like I have to crawl home. Also, I lose the ability to lift my toes...and as a result, when I land on that foot, it "slaps" the ground rather than normal stepping.

Effectively when the muscle starts getting squeezed by the fascia, it's like your leg having a "heart attack" - insufficient blood flow through the area (because the veins are squeezed shut), the nerves get pinched, etc.

I'm hoping the doc tells me I just need different shoes/inserts and I don't in fact have ECS, because the only effective cure is surgery to slice open the fascia. :O

Now, probably as a result of that, both knees are giving me some trouble. Probably just extremely mild sprains.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just in case anybody else cares or wants to see. Here is a pic on Mon There is more bruising showing up now. That 1st pic was like 3-4hrs after it happened. This one is on Mon 2 days after. I went to work Mon with an Aircast on. You can see right where it was on both sides. Lots of swelling all over and then the deep purple bruising on both sides of my ankle area. Weird thing is it feels surprisingly good. I was able to walk around all day at work. With minimal pain. So it looks worse, more swollen, but it feels a lot better. I have pretty normal movement with it other than the stiffness and the pain at angles. There's no acheing or sharp pains when it's resting. So I think it might be getting better. The swelling is down some. The purple bruising is more dull, and natural looking.
I have been wearing my Aircast while at work Tue & Wed. The pain is almost gone when I walk except the side to side motion then there is still pain. There is no pain when I am not on it.
Tonight I actually went for a short ride. About 30mi, it was very comfortable. No pain etc. The bumps and vibrations didn't bother me at all. I had a big grin on my face the whole time. All this after 4 days not bad, I can't believe it. Not ready for track and field events yet but I am on my way.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Sounds like you're on the road to recovery. I'd definitely keep an eye on the swelling though. :dblthumb

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Well Teej, definately get that checked out by your doc. You don't want to become overweight due to a sedentary lifestyle, and as you get older any problems you DO have are just going to escalate. If you get surgery now, the chances for a full recovery are much better than when you are older, plus if you get that taken care of NOW you can get yourself into better shape and gain some more self-confidence! Good luck with that!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts