Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I've only ridden it about two mile (test drive at dealership) because of rain today I trailered it home, I also didn't want to learn the new brakes and throttle in traffic.

Initial impression: Much more like my Seca than I expected (at least, below 5000 rpm) Only a little more oomph, but really good draw at idle/first gear, more than my Seca has. I should be able to really hone my low-speed maneuvers on this baby. Good handling. Feels more responsive/lighter than my Seca. A part of me is worried that I didn't really get anything different from what I had, and that I'll be dissatisfied/lusting after SV's soon, but I'm trying to hold that in abeyance. Frankly, my wrists just couldn't handle the ergos on the R6/SV650S/ZX6R, so I think they would not have been good choices for me.

I hope to get some good riding in this weekend. Any suggestions on break-in? Apparently there are two schools of thought, not sure which way to go. I do think I'm gonna take mototune's advice and change the oil at 100 miles, then do the documented service at 500 and 1000 miles.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just followed the manual (under 7k rpm until 600 miles, then oil change, then under 8.4k until 1000 miles) and everything seemed fine. Just be sure to vary the RPMs. Have fun riding!

·
Registered
157 Posts
+1 on the mototune.

You will also notice the heavy topside, when the tank is full. Similar to the SecaII.

Oh Yeah and congrats.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nohands said:
+1 on the mototune.

You will also notice the heavy topside, when the tank is full. Similar to the SecaII.
Heavy topside? Since the Seca is the only bike I've ridden, please explain what this means as far as handling. My Seca experience has not been wonderful (two lowsides due to poor tire choices of the previous owner.) The last two months since I replaced the front tire (now have matched Metzlers) it's been better, but I still have a confidence problem. I've only ridden about 3000 miles, but I was very gratified this morning that I just got on the FZ and rode with no drama (apparently a classic advantage of this bike.)

Time to start modding!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Breaking it in: Just dont go TOOO easy on her, it'll do no harm if you occaisionally go beyond the recommended revs every now and then. Go too easy and you'll polish the cylinders so she'll be drinking oil.
Vary the revs and let her grrrowwllll a little!
Enjoy!

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I followed the break-in as outlined in the owner's manual. I figured Yamaha designed the bike, and Yamaha wrote the owner's manual, so it must be right, right?

Oh, and trust me...once she's broken in, she'll scream like a banshee above 7000 and make you glad you got the FZ over the SV.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
04Fizzer said:
Oh, and trust me...once she's broken in, she'll scream like a banshee above 7000 and make you glad you got the FZ over the SV.

Now that's what I want to hear!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Congrats!

Especially on choosing the faster Blue model :lao

Edit: I have had mine for about 2 and half weeks now and love every minute of it. I have about 10 miles worth of freeway each day and although I am following the factory recommendations, I do really get on it once each way and push up the RPM's a bit.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Greetings from Oz and the FZ is far sexer than the Seca :)

It turns heads :)

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Welcome!

I did the mototune thing for the most part. Within the first 100 miles I wrung out 1st and 2nd and did the engine braking thing like he suggests. Also did the oil changes. But in general riding, I kept in under 8K and varied the revs for the first 1,000 miles. I've got just under 6,000 miles on her now, and she doesn't lose a drop of oil in between changes.

As far as the top heavy comment that was made by nohands... I think that's something you will only notice at low speeds in tight maneuvers. You'll really notice it if you put on different handlebars and get the levers too close to the mirrors... :rolleyes http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?postid=1788132#poststop
*ALMOST* did it again today! :bitchslap

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
My first bike was a 94 Seca II, the FZ6 feels like the Seca with 10 years of technology slapped on it. ALmost as if they did a complete overhaul of the Seca and the FZ6 was the outcome.
Let me put it to you this way, the transition is going to be alot easier then you think. May have more power but the baseline handling is about the same. Plus the FZ6 has wider tires which you;ll find is a large improvement over what the Seca has.
Basically with a level head you should be just fine on this bike.

·
Registered
419 Posts
MOTOTUNE!!!! Works just fine. The best pro racers and mechanics hear swear by it. I changed the first oil at 20 miles, put some normal car oil in it up to 100 miles, changed again and at 300 went full sinthetic and changed the filter.

Congrats on the blue beuty! (well known fact here that it's the FAZtEst :lol)

1rst MOD: FRAME SLIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Welcome
Your going to love it even more after breakin, believe it or not. The fz's like to different machines. Below 7,000 its a well mannered commuter, comfortable and stable, great gas milage. Over 7,000 its a howling rocket, seat of your pants, Spincter clenching cannon carver......But still comfortable (minus the board yamaha calls a seat) stable and STILL has pretty good gas milage.

Have fun, and buy some Ibproffen so your face doesn't cramp from smiling so much :D

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
greatzippy said:
My first bike was a 94 Seca II, the FZ6 feels like the Seca with 10 years of technology slapped on it. Almost as if they did a complete overhaul of the Seca and the FZ6 was the outcome.
Let me put it to you this way, the transition is going to be alot easier then you think. May have more power but the baseline handling is about the same. Plus the FZ6 has wider tires which you;ll find is a large improvement over what the Seca has.
Basically with a level head you should be just fine on this bike.
That is exactly my reaction after both the two mile test drive and the 20 miles I got to ride today - my Seca, plus soooo much more. I got on the bike for the test drive and everything responded just like I expected, just nicer.

For those who havn't read my other posts, my Seca Experience has not been the sultry, tawdrid affair that I hoped it would be. Tire problems plus a newbie mistake have caused two lowsides. Since the last lowside, (practicing quickstops to correct the error from the first lowside), I've been very gunshy about my bike, very hesitant. Today, that was gone.

The Fizzy is very confidence inspiring. Corners are no longer OMG-I'm gonna lose it-adventures, they're OMG-this must be what heaven is like-adventures. I am now actively considering trailering the bike back home to Colorado (currently working in Louisiana at the pleasure of the CINC) so I can canyon carve all the over the front range. There are just too many straight roads in Louisiana! I'm gonna try for a Hot Springs, AK trip before the summer's out.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FAZtER said:
Congrats on the blue beuty! (well known fact here that it's the FAZtEst :lol)
Actually, I think I committed blasphemy today, because I told a fellow rider that I was thinking about repainting the bike in yellow, and he gasped in horror! (He's not even a Yamaha guy, he's a Honda rider.)

I just like yellow, but the bikes that are available in yellow just didn't suit what I was looking for. I might just get a yellow chrome windscreen, or mod it yellow myself, then put some yellow accent stripes on the bike. Hmmm, I wonder if I can mod the taillight cover yellow chrome with a really bright read bulb behind ti to give off the correct color?

1rst MOD: FRAME SLIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!
Ordered a set of LSL sliders in silver to blend in with the frame last night. Got to find a torque wrench ...

·
Registered
164 Posts
FAZtER said:
and at 300 went full sinthetic and changed the filter QUOTE]
:eek: NO!! Crazy to use fully synthetic after so few miles! You'll do lots more harm than good. Use fully synth after a good few thou miles.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
A blue bike with yellow accents? Are you trying to look like one of the Blue Angels? I think you'd get lots of, uh, feedback from the Air Force guys. :lao

I broke mine in the way Yamaha recommends. I figured at least then I could be honest with the dealer if something major broke while it was under warranty. I'm not too concerned with squeezing a few extra horsepower out of the engine, though.

·
Registered
419 Posts
AirForceTeacher said:
Ordered a set of LSL sliders in silver to blend in with the frame last night. Got to find a torque wrench ...
I dont think you'll need it. I have one and didn't use it, I just lubed the bolts with plenty Lock Tight and tightened it by feeling......I tightened until i felt i couldnt go any more.
Just remember to do ONE SIDE at a time! and it will help if you find a way of suporting your engine while doing this (besides the center stand). I found that even when done one side at a time the engine did shift a bit down and gave me some hasles getting the left bolt in (when sitting on the bike).

Must of being drunk last night. I checked my maintenance log and forgot a few things. At 300 miles i just changed the oil again, and at 1k miles i changed the filter and went full synthetic and i have no problems wuth my baby! The only thing is that the clutch isn't as grabby as before, and that is just what i wanted! Enjoy. :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
fraggle1 said:
A blue bike with yellow accents? Are you trying to look like one of the Blue Angels? I think you'd get lots of, uh, feedback from the Air Force guys. :lao

There's more than one blue in my life ...
I broke mine in the way Yamaha recommends. I figured at least then I could be honest with the dealer if something major broke while it was under warranty. I'm not too concerned with squeezing a few extra horsepower out of the engine, though.
Lot's of opinions on this one ....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts