Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What an intense ride that was. Just got home from riding and getting cought out in a rain. I usually enjoy a cruise in the rain, but this time wasn't as fun.

I was comin down a backroad bout a half hour ago. I had my titned shield on so i could barley see as it is. All the sudden i went through this intense puddle! :eek: I didnt even see it, all i did see was water shooting up all around me, i almost lost it. Felt like i was floating through it. Good thing i rode dirt bikes, i put my foot down, keept her up and took off. I was only doin about 20. But when i put my foot down the water went almost halfway up my shins.

I got the bike home nice and safe, but i was soaked! I dried the bike off and let it run for a few mins to let the engine heat dry as much water as it could. I hope the bikes ok. I think she's fine, but that was a shit load of water i went through. I thought it was gonna die out on me right there, but luckily it didn't. Im gonna go start her up in a couple hours just to make sure she is ok :D

Anybody else have a similar experience with huge puddles? :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah, had that happen a couple years ago in Daytona at bike week. Same exact story, except we were in Orlando and were staying over on the coast. Took us about 2 hours to make it back and we were soaked. Bikes both started up fine the next day and ran w/out a hitch. And this was with an sv famous for fouling out plugs in wet weather.

Bike'll be fine, good job savin' her!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Yeah happened to me before as well. I was heading home from work one day and it had been pouring all day so some of the areas in my city tend to flood after a lot of rainfall.

So I went through it and it was I would say about up to my shins also and I was only going like 10-15mph though. It didn't soak me because it wasn't splashing the water on me, but the oncoming traffic was the ones that got me even more wet than I already was.

All in all it wasn't that bad of a situation riding through it though.

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still a bit worried though till i hear her start up tommoro :D. It sucked, the road itself was that black pavement. So it was tough to tell where the puddles were. Plus it was a backroad so there were no cars at the time. Couldn't even see the puddle till i rode straight through it. Im just going along then all the sudden WATER!! It was a huge wall of water surrounding me. My headlights lit it up, but i couldn't see anything infront of me but water. It was intense. :cool:

Im definatley going to be pickin up some rain gear when i get some extra cash. :D

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Hmm...I'm not looking forward to experiencing that...experience.

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet, bike started right up. I just gotta go wash and wax her now. :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
It happened to me a couple of days ago.. I saw it coming because a truck in front of me crossed it and it looked like that Moses splitting open the sea scene.. it was a one-way road and no way of turning back so I stopped and waited until the next big semi crossed.. and sneaked by right behind him before the water came rushing back. His back tire gave me a good shower though.. bike is now washed and with three layers of wax :cool:

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
It's happened to me in the past and it sucks, I don't mind the cold, I just don't like the rain.

·
Registered
84 Posts
cRaZe said:
i've willingly rode in huge thunderstorms AT NIGHT and rode through partially flooded streets ... WILLINGLY
Hehe...a man after my own heart. Hell its the only time I ever get the roads to myself around here. :D

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cRaZe said:
i've willingly rode in huge thunderstorms AT NIGHT and rode through partially flooded streets ... WILLINGLY
I hear ya on that. I was actually looking forward to the ride home. Night, rain....i didn't mind. That puddle just cought me off guard. Going along then all the sudden BAM surrended by water. It was cool and a good experience. Now il know to look out for em next time :D

·
Registered
475 Posts
yep, been there done that... it's even worse when you get drenched by the oncoming car going through a puddle like that. Almost like 'what the hell just hit me?' kinda moment.

·
Registered
346 Posts
2 weeks ago, rode from o.c. MD to PA (200 miles) it was rainging but we had to get home. got caught in about 8 downpours. by the time we dried off it would pour again. coming up 95 pouring so hard traffic was doing around 35-40 with 4 ways on. got off the highway close to home and took a back road. most of road was flooded with 6-8 in of water, cars coming towards us about knocked me off the bike with their spray. wasn't having that good of a time, but once i was completly soaked i said fuck it and it was hella fun. took 5 hrs to get home

·
Registered
114 Posts
Happened to me a while back in the early 90's. Comming home from work at dusk and hit a flooded section of the road. Went from about 35mph to 5 mph in a heartbeat. I thought the bike was going to go over forward on me. I don't own that bike anymore, but I bet the buttpucker mark is still on the seat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts