Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
I buy cars
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*Flame suit on*

I got a new bike yesterday. I know I'm going to get bashed for this, but I bought an '04 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom. Now I know it's not a sportbike, but at this point in my life - this was the more practical choice, if I wanted to ride any time soon at all.

Don't worry though, I won't look down on sportbikes, or flip ya off or anything! ;) Actually, I'm hoping that you all won't do it to me!

Seriously though... I love sport bikes, love the feeling, the speed, etc. and I WILL one day have another. But for now, this is what I have, and I thought I'd share.

ps - I used to be Dan02YZF before the fresh start is anyone remembers?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
That is awsome, it is a great bike to ride, congrats. Got any pics of her so we can see?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
XL1200C said:
*Flame suit on*

I got a new bike yesterday. I know I'm going to get bashed for this, but I bought an '04 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom. Now I know it's not a sportbike, but at this point in my life - this was the more practical choice, if I wanted to ride any time soon at all.

Don't worry though, I won't look down on sportbikes, or flip ya off or anything! ;) Actually, I'm hoping that you all won't do it to me!

Seriously though... I love sport bikes, love the feeling, the speed, etc. and I WILL one day have another. But for now, this is what I have, and I thought I'd share.

ps - I used to be Dan02YZF before the fresh start is anyone remembers?
How were you "forced" to buy a HD???

·
I buy cars
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Süsser Tod said:
How were you "forced" to buy a HD???
I wasn't forced. But HD's hold their re-sale value much better than any sportbike does, and I've always wanted both style bikes. With current financing, and commuting, the HD makes the better choice until I can get myself a sportbike. I'd post a pic, but the filesize is too big 350k and it has to be under 90k or something to post.

It's a lot of fun, and the 1200 custom has the buell xb12r heads, so it has a little oomph - more torque than hp it seems. It also has a sweet exhaust note in stock form - very similar to the Buells.

One feature that is neat, is the turn signals are linked to a tilt-ometer and a distance meter, than automatically shuts the signals off after a turn. (works pretty well).

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Yes, right on, each kind of bike haves its own advantages.

However your argument does not convince me, but I haven't really looked at the HD depreciation vs Metric cruiser depreciation to really know if it makes sense.

By the way, congratulations on the new bike! (PICS ARE REQUIRED)

·
Registered
279 Posts
You can corner Decently on those sportsters

·
Registered
691 Posts
As long as you are happy with your bike, that is all that matters. Congratulations.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ugh... just had to re-register. :(

I also bought a Sportster... 883C. Bought in April. I'm quite happy with it. Now if it would quit raining so I could go ride...

·
Registered
459 Posts
my next bike is going to be a sportster.. I'm going to have fun on my current one for a while though.. but my next one is definitly going to be a sportster

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
IllKneeGrow said:
Hey if it's what he likes, it's what he likes...enjoy the ride
+1

thew new sportsers are alot better lookin then the old ones.....

get training www.msf-usa.org

·
Registered
353 Posts
ibjames said:
sweet bike russxl.. love the wire wheels vs. the mags..
Thanks man...

First weekend I had it I went on a group ride with some friends on some nice twisties between Mandeville and Baton Rouge. They were all surprised how well the HD did, even though I didn't have a prayer at staying with them on the straights. It was especially nice when someone came flying back to the group saying there was a road block ahead looking for us and they sent me as the decoy. ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
My neighbor just bought a new 1200 Sportster. Black with smoked signals, and lots of chrome. I have to admit, it's a nice looking bike, I'd own one if I could afford to keep my SV1000 too :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts