Sport Bikes banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so if you read my other thread about the unfortunate events that lead to my damaged bike, then great. if not here is the link

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=348006

i need to replace the front cowling, the kickstand, the clutch lever and the stator cover, as well as some other parts. i have ordered these parts, but i don't really want to pay someone to put them on.

i am pretty mechanically inclined. so i think that i can replace most of this stuff :). but i would like some of your opinions. it would seem that the stator cover is going to be the hardest, and the most engine related. i already have a service manual, so i can see how it all comes apart. i am just wondering if someone has already done this........ :bowdown

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have done most of the parts you mentioned due to some stupidity on my part. If you were closer to me or willing to travel some I would be glad to help you get everything fixed.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the offer. i am actually from Santa Maria....so if i still lived at home that would be great. was it difficult to put them on??

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have just replaced ALL of those items you listed above, except the kick stand. All these parts are for the Dark Blue Fz6, and by the way I am the LEAST mechanical person in the entire world.

Ordered fron Ron Ayers
https://www.ronayers.com/plastics/year.cfm?bike=127&make=4
Front Fairing: $65.99 Part # 5VX-2835G-00-00
Front Fender: $26.26 Part # 5VX-21511-00-00

Ordered fron powersmotorsports.com
http://www.powersedge.net/pages/parts/viewbybrand/2/Yamaha.aspx
Left Side Cover: $15.14 Part # 5VX-21710-00-00
Left Bracket for Front Fairing $4.44 Part # 5VX-2836e-01-00

Here are some before & after pics, although I am still waiting for the bracket for the front fairing so it is a little crooked right now.

Old Fairing

Without Fairing

New Fairing

Old Side Cover

New Side Cover

The only other thing I am waiting for now is the passenger handle in the back, and the low profile mirrors I ordered, and the frame sliders (wish I would have had them on in the first place)

When you take off the old fairing just make sure you disconnect the headlight connectors & tachometer, everything will go on really smooth. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Only these 2, but remember the fairing isn't totally installed yet, I'm still waiting for a bracket

·
Registered
249 Posts
tonyzagod said:
I have just replaced ALL of those items you listed above, except the kick stand. All these parts are for the Dark Blue Fz6, and by the way I am the LEAST mechanical person in the entire world.

Ordered fron Ron Ayers
https://www.ronayers.com/plastics/year.cfm?bike=127&make=4
Front Fairing: $65.99 Part # 5VX-2835G-00-00
Front Fender: $26.26 Part # 5VX-21511-00-00

Ordered fron powersmotorsports.com
http://www.powersedge.net/pages/parts/viewbybrand/2/Yamaha.aspx
Left Side Cover: $15.14 Part # 5VX-21710-00-00
Left Bracket for Front Fairing $4.44 Part # 5VX-2836e-01-00

Here are some before & after pics, although I am still waiting for the bracket for the front fairing so it is a little crooked right now.

Old Fairing

Without Fairing

New Fairing

Old Side Cover

New Side Cover

The only other thing I am waiting for now is the passenger handle in the back, and the low profile mirrors I ordered, and the frame sliders (wish I would have had them on in the first place)

When you take off the old fairing just make sure you disconnect the headlight connectors & tachometer, everything will go on really smooth. Hope that helps.
you wanna know what really sucks, the front fairing for the '06 model costs over 200 dollars but any year under is like 70

·
Registered
426 Posts
immakillu4fun187 said:
you wanna know what really sucks, the front fairing for the '06 model costs over 200 dollars but any year under is like 70
Why is that?

I know Yamaha started to paint the fairing instead of using color matched plastic for the '07. Which would explain why the '07 is more expensive, but not the '06.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I thought the '04, '05 & '06 fairings were all interchangeable

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
every site that i looked on the front cowling is like 211 or 226 dollars for the 06'. oh well. i am pretty sure that i can do this without any problems. i still have to do the 600 mile tuneup/oil change and when i do that i will ask them to check and make sure everything is still straight and functions like it should.

thanks all

·
Registered
566 Posts

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
tonyzagod said:
Only these 2, but remember the fairing isn't totally installed yet, I'm still waiting for a bracket

Maybe I'm blind but it looks like a regular bike without the mirrors and windshield. It looks badass though...I likey.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Dont do the oil change before putting the stator cover on cuz you need to drain the oil first to take the old one off! i'd say do it at the same time, drain oil, replace stator cover, fill with oil.......

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that's what i meant. i have removed all the damaged parts (except the stator cover) and now i am waiting for the parts to arrive. thanks though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts