1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
504 Posts
Eh you get used to it. Depending on where you live/work, driving doesn't have to be necessary. I have yet to buy my first car =) Of course, I ride, but that's more a recreational type of thing.

I feel sorry for the poor souls that live out in the 'burbs and commute every day. Yikes. If I'm not riding to work, I take a quick 20 minute nap on the subway on the way in.

-Q

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
qualdoth said:
Eh you get used to it. Depending on where you live/work, driving doesn't have to be necessary. I have yet to buy my first car =) Of course, I ride, but that's more a recreational type of thing.

I feel sorry for the poor souls that live out in the 'burbs and commute every day. Yikes. If I'm not riding to work, I take a quick 20 minute nap on the subway on the way in.

-Q
I don't mind WALKING around Toronto. As a matter of fact, I LOVE Toronto (and I don't like cities).

I have a 20-25 minute commute that somehow turns into 15-20 on my bike. Strange how that works, huh? :lao I know Rochester has LOUSY public transport system, so most people are forced to drive. I also hate being tied down by a bus schedule, so I prefer freedom of driving my happy ass around.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
04Fizzer said:
I have a 20-25 minute commute that somehow turns into 15-20 on my bike.
You're doing it wrong. I have a 5 - 7 minute commute that often turns into 2 - 3 hours on my bike. :lol

·
Registered
504 Posts
04Fizzer said:
I don't mind WALKING around Toronto. As a matter of fact, I LOVE Toronto (and I don't like cities).

I have a 20-25 minute commute that somehow turns into 15-20 on my bike. Strange how that works, huh? :lao I know Rochester has LOUSY public transport system, so most people are forced to drive. I also hate being tied down by a bus schedule, so I prefer freedom of driving my happy ass around.
... which is why I love living and working close to the subway line. Live downtown by the lake (if you know Toronto, right near the Skydome/CN Tower) and work middle/up-town.

For what it's worth, I think Toronto has a rather good transit system. Though you wouldn't know it from talkign to us, we complain about it a lot anyways ;)

It's nice to hear you enjoy our city though. Always a pleasure to hear. I think we have a lot to offer, and it's nice when someone else recognizes that too.

-Q

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Jay, I adore that song. Really.

I think bitching about the public transportation system is a good sign, showing that people are actually using it and care if it works or not.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
qualdoth said:
... which is why I love living and working close to the subway line. Live downtown by the lake (if you know Toronto, right near the Skydome/CN Tower) and work middle/up-town.

For what it's worth, I think Toronto has a rather good transit system. Though you wouldn't know it from talkign to us, we complain about it a lot anyways ;)

It's nice to hear you enjoy our city though. Always a pleasure to hear. I think we have a lot to offer, and it's nice when someone else recognizes that too.

-Q
I'm curious...do YOU know anything about the Rochester-Toronto ferry? I know for a long time no one in Canada knew anything about it. I think the concept is good, but it REALLY needs to be refined.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) was great. Well, the transit system was good. I used to live at Yonge & Eglinton (centre of the city) and rarely used my car. Car was useful only for trips out of town or to places that were awkward to get to in the city. I live in Barrie now and when I come back to Toronto I usually park at Yorkdale and TTC it from there. Way easier.

·
Registered
504 Posts
04Fizzer said:
I'm curious...do YOU know anything about the Rochester-Toronto ferry? I know for a long time no one in Canada knew anything about it. I think the concept is good, but it REALLY needs to be refined.
Oh yeah, we all know about it. In fact, it was originally supposed to be a Canadian venture (with cooperation from Rochester obviously). However, things didn't work out, the thing fell flat on its face, and the operation was sold to you guys.

My gf and I (she rides a wee gs500) are actually thinking of taking the ferry to Rochester with our bikes, and riding back to Toronto. I think we should be able to make a good weekend out of it. We'll probably do this sometime in September.

If you have any suggestions for roads in the area, by all means... :)

Cheers,
-Q

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Live in the tdot for a year back during college. It's okay. I was at Bathurst/Finch area so you gotta be on your toes. Random stabbings, drive-by shootings. Great stuff eh? And the traffic, gawd damn the traffic. Sorry man, but Toronto sucks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh man, I haven't heard that song in YEARS. Thanks Jay, that was a blast from the past.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's more of us with Toronto experiences than I thought here. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts