Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now we have a threat with all the reasons why LEOs are good persons and why all of us are :squid s that deserve whatever ticket or harrassment a LEO gives us...

I just got home, coming from my GFs place. Turn on the computer, log on to SBN and found that thread...

Oh my GOD!!!

Guess what is funny? That I just got harrassed by some cops at my GF's house. She lives in a closed neighbourhood (it is like a condo), it is in fact a golf club, and there is only one entrance/exit to the place.

Of course, the cops saw me come in, as they had to lift the barrier for me to pass. They knew where I was going, and at what time I entered.

When I was leaving, it was really cold (the place is in the mountains, and most of the houses are built in the woods), so I started up my bike and smoked a cigarrete while it was warming up, the bike was parked on my GF's house driveway, besides her car. Then a cop car comes, there are some cop cars going all over the place 24 hours just for safety, and they stop and stare at me, then they continue their way...

NO!

They turn around and come to me and ask:

"What are you doing here?"

WTF is wrong with this guys? I've been dating this girl for more than 3 years!

They wanted to check my stuff and know what I was doing there, I might have been robing a house, or trying to break into someones house!

Obviously, this guys are employed by the golf club and the condo asociation. So I just got pissed off and told them:

"I came to see my GF. Just because I ride a bike, doesn't mean I'm a criminal. If you want to check, I can call her and tell her to come her and explain you who I am, then we'll proceed to get an explanation from your superior".

That was it, the guys went away just saying "we are just trying to protect the people in here".

Protect, my a$$!!!

:upyours

The fact is, doing your job is entirely different from harrasing someone because they chose to ride a bike. And harrassment I know pretty well. I live in a city that hates motorcycles.

Everyone in here that rides, is automatically a criminal (yes, that is true). Motorcycles are banned from highways, because criminals riding motorcycles flew away from crime scenes through highways...

I've been stoped by several LEOs at night, just for "routine checks", they just wanted to know if I had stolen my bike, killed someone or planing to rob a bank (I shit you not, this happened twice!)

What is my attitude to cops right now? Last time they tried to stop me at a check point (on a street I ride on DAILY on my commute, 3 blocks away from my office), I just gunned it and never looked back.
Another time at a stoplight a LEO came and started giving me shit about me doing dont' know what, I just revved up and ran the stoplight.

I just don't have any more time to waste on their stupid harrassment!

Now, this is on Mexico City. And I know it is not the same on the US, but several places on the US have even worse attitude to sportbikes than what I have to deal with here (here they just hate everything on two wheels the same, doesn't matter if it is a scooter, 2 wheels = criminal)

Where does this hatred to motorcycles came from? I know for a fact, that in Mexico this hatred was created by the local Goverment, as motorcycles have always been a scapegoat for their stupidity to control crime. They just used media to create this "fear" to motorcycles.

(Yes, once I was asked to exit from a Seven Eleven when I was just there to buy cigarretes and a coke, they were so afraid I would try to rob the store, that they had a cop ask me out of the store...)

In the US they have created that kind of hatred through the media, for different reasons (and that explains why it is mostly focused on sportbikes), but it proves that the harrassment is real.
They haven't made people think you'll rob or kill someone at every corner, but they have made people think you only live to break any traffic related law.

And knowing that even the little, talentless and ugly Simpson is able to become a "star", sell records, and appear on SNL (without even knowing what "SNL" stands for), or how Paris is now a celebrity through the excersise of money/media, don't you realize that media is strong enough to convince people that "sportbikes are out there to kill people in the highways"?

Don't you wonder why some people on Sportbikes are being given tickets for loud exhausts (with stock cans) while HD riders with open pipes can go their merry way, being heard on the next county when they "rev" up their engines?

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
dam gina don't hold back tell us how you really feel...

·
Registered
806 Posts
Since I created the other thread, I feel the need to comment on this one as well. You're comparing LEO's in two different country's. You are comparing the legal system in Mexico to that of the United States. The mexican legal system is notorious for being corrupt and having countless issues within itself. The United States is viewed upon as being a "free" country. In Mexico, as far as I'm aware, the LEO's can get away with pretty much anything they want. It's significantly different here in the United States. It seems as though the governement keeps them under a much tighter reign.
Given your accounts of running from LEO's so you didn't have to deal with them, maybe you've created a problem for yourself? The police are aware of people who are in their areas that are known to cause problems. Maybe now they're familiar with your bike and your practice of leaving them, so they were checking you out before you ever left. Doesn't really make it right, but just a thought. Especially since bikes there are "banned from highways" and have been used multiple times as escape vehicles.
Your comment about the power of the media and it's ability to convince people that "sportbikes are there to kill people on the highways" was rather comical at best. I don't see the connection between what Jessica Simpson has to do with an anti sportbike theme. The girl has made a career for herself, regardless of dumb she may be. I'm not particularly a fan of hers, but obviously there are many people who are. The media is a powerful tool to be used. But never have I seen any anti-sportbike propaganda out of them. Maybe I missed something?
Are there officers who have issues with sportbikes? Sure there are. There are also officers that have issues with tinted windows, loud cars, sports cars, etc. As has been mentioned over and over again, there are good and bad of every profression. From your story, it doesn't sound as though you deserved to be questioned by the officers there. However, there are multiple accounts of the mexican police doing things that are not done here in the United States, or things that don't make sense. I'm sorry you had to deal with that and it sucks, but from the sounds of things it's a normal occurance where you're from with stricter laws and looser interpretations of them.
Good luck with them in the future.
Shane

·
Registered
706 Posts
medic001918 said:
I don't see the connection between what Jessica Simpson has to do with an anti sportbike theme.
Cause he said "the ugly sister"... :twofinger

Me, I just love everybody! Of course, riding a Hawk doesn't grab all the attention some other bikes might.

·
Registered
471 Posts
They haven't made people think you'll rob or kill someone at every corner, but they have made people think you only live to break any traffic related law.
there are people on this board that also think that. There were people saying that if you own a sportbike and dont ride it fast, that you should own a cruiser instead. So its not only the media that thinks this, is some sportbike owners themselves.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Yeah, there's a different set of books down there in Mexico, but still no execuse. I've had cops pull the same thing on me a few times. Usually I diffuse the situation and its good after that. I think there's a small culture clash going on here. I never get harrassed on my bike. It was only with my Nissan 300ZX did I get all that negative attention from clowned-out Civics and bad apple cops.

IMHO, the reason you might be getting the negative press is because of how the media potrays riders. You have movies like Easy Riders that show them the bad boy image of the two-wheeled experience. Plus you have morons on two-wheels that will weave in and out of traffic, split lanes (where they're not supposed to), flee from signalling cops, etc.

Sorry, you have to deal with it even if you're a law-abiding good citizen like me. Just a few bad apples spoil the bushel.

·
Registered
260 Posts
whats the big deal ? thats their job to check on people hanging around and to protect the people who live there.as long as you are ok there no problem.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I agree - what's the big deal about them checking on you or anyone else? You paranoid or something?

I'd rather have them check than have my or the neighbor's stuff stolen..

Maybe you should change you look? And for sure, your attitude cause if you weren't doing anything you should be glad they are doing their job instead of sitting around eating doughnuts.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Süsser Tod said:
Everyone in here that rides, is automatically a criminal (yes, that is true). Motorcycles are banned from highways, because criminals riding motorcycles flew away from crime scenes through highways...

What is my attitude to cops right now? Last time they tried to stop me at a check point (on a street I ride on DAILY on my commute, 3 blocks away from my office), I just gunned it and never looked back.
Another time at a stoplight a LEO came and started giving me shit about me doing dont' know what, I just revved up and ran the stoplight.

I just don't have any more time to waste on their stupid harrassment!
It sounds like YOU ARE one of the a$$holes causing the police to harrass sportbikes to me. Running rather than stopping at a checkpoint? Then running when a cop asked you questions at a stoplight? He probably recognized you from one of your other "encounters" with them when you ran. Then you have the balls to come on here crying that they harrass you? :upyours
Stay in Mexico.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
04Kanotuna said:
It sounds like YOU ARE one of the a$$holes causing the police to harrass sportbikes to me. Running rather than stopping at a checkpoint? Then running when a cop asked you questions at a stoplight? He probably recognized you from one of your other "encounters" with them when you ran. Then you have the balls to come on here crying that they harrass you? :upyours
Stay in Mexico.
Oops. I was reading too fast, didn't notice this.

Yup, Todd, you're contributing to the madness. It's all the speedsters and squids that give it a bad rap. Slow down, change the system, help us all out by obeying the local and federal laws, whatever they may be.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I would walk up to them and shake their hand to know my g/f is that well protected.

Or punch them in the face, cause they know where she lives :upyours lol

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Just in general. No one is out of line just a reminder. These cop threads tend t get heated rather fast.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jim schmidt said:
Up here we call those guys "Security Guards." They're not cops and might have five hours of training. If they're young, they almost all would like to be cops but don't meet the educational requirements. And they're notorious for wanting to step in your shit.

Those guys are not "Security Guards", we also have those, and we call them "private security", those were real state cops.

Here we dont' have just a "force", we have several different police departments:

a) Public safety police department (what those guys are), they are limited to countys/municipalities
b) Transit police (the kind of cops that issue tickets, or get "mordida") same jurisdiction as above.
c) Industry and bank police. They are supposed to be asigned to take care of factories and banks, but you can find them doing all kind of stuff, as they are commonly hired by private companies.
d) State cops, kind of a mix of a and b, but with jurisdiction all ove the state.
e) Federal state judicial cops (kind of a local PGR, look f). Scary guys, they seem to be the madest people they could find, except for the National Federals or the Granadeers.
f) Granadeer group, those guys are only called when any of the others is having a tough time controlling a crowd. We also call them "granalocos", a mix of grenade and crazy, as those MOFOs are really crazy.
g) National Federal judicial cops (PGR). Kind of the equivalent to the FBI. This guys are not to be messed with, the institution is called "PGR", and, well, stay away from them...
h) Federal preventive police (PFP). Kind of the cop only equivalent to the PGR, this guys are not investigators nor lawyers, they are 100% cops, oftenly they work along with the PGR oficials/cops (PGR has the investigators, fiscals, etc, but also has their own cops) These are I think the best trained police force in here.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
04Kanotuna said:
Stay in Mexico.

The cop didn't recognized me, as he was of a different jurisdiction, and that was the second and last time I've ran from the police.

Trust me, after being harrassed for so long, without any reason at all, I don't feel not even a little bit guilty for saving my time instead of dealing with BS questions.

Why I didn't even stopped at the checkpoint? Because I know that they would try to pull the "this bike is stolen" crap on me, as they have done before. In that situation, your bike is impounded unless you are carrying with you title and registration of the bike, so you can prove the ownership in that moment. No, they won't bother checking it on the system (they can), they just want to put you on so much crap to see if they get some money from you (obviously, as you are riding a bike, you must have some spare money!)

By the way:

Then you have the balls to come on here crying that they harrass you?
That attitude I've taken after YEARS of standing the abuse and harrassment. Trust me, you wouldn't find it any funny when you are considered, legaly, a criminal because you ride a bike.

In here, you are even banned from highways, so you have to use the most dangerous, crowded with 18 wheelers, roads, just because you are a criminal and a danger to society.

·
Registered
318 Posts
O.K. So maybe I'm not a morning person. :) My response earlier should be more aimed at someone who lives in the states and if you lived here I would stand by it as originally written. That said, I don't live in Mexico and from what I hear they have no shortage of bad "cops". Since I don't live there and have not dealt with them I should probably not have been so quick to jump on you so hard about this.
Now that being said, and it won't happen overnight, maybe you should be the one who influences his friends to start playing nice with them to bring about a change in their attitudes towards sportbikes, otherwise your and your friends behavior will only perpetuate their current dislike and mistrust of riders. The more nice, respectful riders they meet the more likely they will be to find someone else to pick on (like the guys in the little rice rocket cars). :eek:nfloor

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Those aren't real cops. Even for Mexico...
Might as well be complaining about mall security...
Hope you wear gear over such thin skin.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jk750 said:
Those aren't real cops. Even for Mexico...
Might as well be complaining about mall security...
Hope you wear gear over such thin skin.
Public safety police are not real cops??? They work there as the golf club asociation pays the goverment a monthly fee to have a group of cops asigned to them.
But those are real cops, the only difference is that they were asigned to that golf club instead of working on the streets as the rest do.

It is a very common practice here, there are private security guards, that are not cops, but also all police forces offer that kind of services to increase their bugdet. Did you thought cops get paid well in here? Heck, some police departments don't even have enough budget to provide guns to the officers! (Don't even talk about cop cars, as there are many that don't even get asigned a car, nor a motorcycle, so other cops have to get them a ride to the place they'll be working on).

04Kanotuna said:
That said, I don't live in Mexico and from what I hear they have no shortage of bad "cops". Since I don't live there and have not dealt with them I should probably not have been so quick to jump on you so hard about this.
Well, we don't have a shortage of bad cops, but we don't have a shortage of good cops either. But the bad cops have given them such a bad reputation...

I have tons of mixed feelings about that. Cops are paid minimum wage, and minimum wage = bad taste joke, specially for a job where you put your own safety and life on the line everyday, so I know where are they comming from when they ask for money to avoid giving you a ticket. But that is different from abusing the power they have, as some others enjoy to try to overcome their inferiority complex.

But I do remember this cop...

I ran a stoplight (exam time, I was on my way home from the college and was absorbed thinking about the exams). In fact, they were two stoplights...

He stoped me, asked me for my license and registration, then showed me the "traffic laws book" to explain me the fine he would write on the ticket and I WAS SHOCKED...

This was a motorcycle traffic cop, and I didn't even looked the book, I was staring at his fingertips that were showing through his wore down gloves...

And dont' even get me started about the pile of junk the poor guy was riding. That GN250 was so old and worn that it didn't looked straight anymore...

He just went to the bike, wrote the ticket, gave it to me and said "have a nice day, remember to drive carefully" and he went his way!

Man, that is A HONEST COP!

I was amazed, obviously he could have used some extra money (fuck, some new gloves!), but he was proud of his job and he just did it perfectly...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts