Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I'm all about speeding, but you gotta pick your spots a little better than that.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
You should have kicked the side of his car on the way by and given him the finger. Or something like that. ;)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm all about speeding, but you gotta pick your spots a little better than that.
If I was doing 30, instead of 35-38, I still wouldn't have been able to stop in time. As I said, he backed up even further while on the road. :(

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
sweet jesus- good save.

I hate people who don't look before they do anything.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
You need to slow down in that area. There are a shitload of blind driveways. It doesn't matter what the speed limit is. You need to assume someone is going to pull out, and you need to be able to stop in time. If you don't, someday you'll get squished.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think you are going too fast the speed limit is too high and what other drivers usually do is irrelevant. Strictly speaking it's not your fault but had an accident occurred your speed was certainly a contributing factor. The line about him continuing to back up has little relevance as a slower speed would have afforded more front to back buffer while still allowing the same room to the side to dodge. Nice save though.

These kinds of streets are loaded with blue-hairs driving giant low-visibility cars.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Looks like he had started to pull out before you would have come into view. a lot of times there will be yellow speed signs that are a 'recommended' speed for an area or curve.

Ive been in places where the speed limit is 35 and if you actually drove 35 you'd be slamming around curves in a down town area. Most people coast around 25 on that street.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
He was still backing as you went by him. And yeah, he made his move before you were even in his sight.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup, I'm not blaming him for anything. I never said an unkind word in the video, info or on this thread. The video was to illustrate that sometimes braking isn't the best answer.

This street is a 30 with no yellow signs indicating someone to slow further. Glenn, I mentioned the continuing to back up because I know where I would have stopped if I was doing 30, and it probably would have been short enough, but he continued to back up. I don't know if I'm quick enough to drop my feet and manually push my bike back, hoping to not forget to hold in the clutch while some Caddy is backing up at me with a foot of space between us.

As far as slowing down...this entire town should. I was just on that road twice for groceries in my friends car with him driving and we did 40 up that road, same for the people in front of and behind us. It's just how things are done around here...and I was going SLOWER than them.

Lesson learned, don't get complacent. :( Though, I guess I wasn't TOO complacent or I'd have a fucked up bike right now...

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Way too many driveways for me to be comfortable since I've had similar things happen. Driveways are just filled with people who don't look behind them as they backup. Good on you for not fixating.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Wow that was pretty scary. This is what kills most riders, an unseen vehicle pulling out in front of them (perpendicular to their path of travel). Glad you didn't impregnate yourself into the caddy! Its prudent to slow down for residential areas (not that you were going warp speed), driveways and parked cars are definitely a known killer of motorcyclists and bicyclists. When I was a child a pickup truck pulled out of the driveway and I broadsided it and flew over top of the damn thing (this is probably why I'm mentally retarded today). Being able to steer while braking hard on the front brake is a super crucial skill for street survival.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Don't know about PA, but in VA if you're speeding, you give up right-of-way from a legal standpoint. In this case, it would mean that neither of you had right-of-way, and both would be at fault.

I could give two ****s if folks do 90 on the interstate, but please keep it down in neighborhoods. It only takes a second for a child to run into the road. And just because "nobody does 30" doesn't mean you should. After all--most people are idiots.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
You should have kicked the side of his car on the way by and given him the finger. Or something like that. ;)
Breaking a tail light sends a message. :D

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Don't know about PA, but in VA if you're speeding, you give up right-of-way from a legal standpoint. In this case, it would mean that neither of you had right-of-way, and both would be at fault.

I could give two ****s if folks do 90 on the interstate, but please keep it down in neighborhoods. It only takes a second for a child to run into the road. And just because "nobody does 30" doesn't mean you should. After all--most people are idiots.
I just run the children over, actually. I regret buying a bike that isn't fully faired. Getting gray matter off of my engine is a real bitch...

As for this road, I did 30 up it today, just to make everyone happy. Sure I had a cager up my ass for doing so, but fuck him. I'm not dodging any more Caddys. :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts