Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did I burn up my clutch?

I made a dumb mistake today.I normally leave my bike on the outside with a bike cover. It was raining for the last week and i havent been able to ride. I pulled the cover off today and i noticed that the chain and the sprokets had rust on them. I cleaned them both with wd40 and i also had the chain oil from kawasaki. I proceded to take the bike for a ride after i cleaned with the wd40.I tried to burn up the back tire a little bit to burn off the grease. I could not get the front wheel to hold and it kept sliding forward. I reved the bike up pretty hard. I then tried to pull of and the bike only went about 30mph and it would only rev after that speed. I switched to a different gear and it still would only go between 30-40 mph. If I did burn up the clutch, how much should i be expecting to pay to fix it? I have only had the bike for 5 months. Would this be covered under the warranty?

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Clutch plates are like brake pads which are not covered under warranty. You said it has been raining and your bike has been stored outside. How much fuel has the bike been sitting with during the period of time you mentioned? You could have condensation build up in the gas tank which equals water in your gas. Which equals crappy performance. If that's not the problem then I guess you burnt up the clutch. Jay

·
Registered
726 Posts
Clutch plates are like brake pads which are not covered under warranty. You said it has been raining and your bike has been stored outside. How much fuel has the bike been sitting with during the period of time you mentioned? You could have condensation build up in the gas tank which equals water in your gas. Which equals crappy performance. If that's not the problem then I guess you burnt up the clutch. Jay
Good place to start for sure! These bikes have issues with water in the gas. Go fill it up and if the problem goes away you need to drain the tank when your fuel supply runs down again.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Doubtful the clutch is gone. If you can still change gears without the bike jerking clutch is fine.
If its bogging, most likely water/moister in the tank. Kinda odd that you would have that problem being the bike is covered.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doubtful the clutch is gone. If you can still change gears without the bike jerking clutch is fine.
If its bogging, most likely water/moister in the tank. Kinda odd that you would have that problem being the bike is covered.
I went for a ride on the bike this morning to see if it still had the promblem. The bike did not jerk when trying to switch gears. I was in first gear at about 30mph when it would not go any faster. I kept switching gears and it got up to 60 in sixth gear but that was it. It kept reving after that point and wouldnt go any faster.I also noticed that the clutch handle seemed displaced at little. The handle seemed like it stuck out farther than normal when i tried to pull it in.

·
Unregistered User
2,062 Posts
Check your clutch adjustment. If it's revving and not transferring the energy to the rear wheel, it may be slipping. Hopefully an adjustment will fix it, if not, you may have glazed or burned your clutch fibers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok all those opinions sound good. I guess Ill take it to my bike mechanic and see if he can slove the promblem.I hope it doesnt hit me too hard in the pocket.I just bought winter gear. Thanks

·
EET FUK
2,335 Posts
try the free fixes before you do that first, make sure the gas is on too or if its low and bogging and you are low on fuel turn it to reserve. put some stabilizer in there and fresh gas and see how that goes before you run to the mechanic

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
ok ill try that. any other suggestions
Not for stabilizers....Seafoam kicks amazing ass. My buddy kept gas stabilized with seafoam for FIVE YEARS and it was still great when he eventually used it (I would not have trusted it after that long, but he took a chance and it was fine).

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
No injectors:idea The ZZR600 has carburetors.
Yeah, I'm totally a tourist in this forum, I just saw the thread in my New Post search and thought I would jump in.

I didn't know the ZZR is carbed...that is actually nicer in a lot of ways, especially for the shade tree mechanic.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
+1 on the Seafoam. If nothing else, drain the tank into a gas can and burn it in another vehicle. I have had one bad experience with gas in the bike, but never had have any issues with any other vehicle. I drained the gas into a can and burned it in the riding mower.

·
Registered
726 Posts
On the norm any additive, you want to add, before a fill up so it can get throughly mixed in the gas as you fill the tank. Lower the gas level the better as well.

·
EET FUK
2,335 Posts
i use stabil and never had an issue

1 - 20 of 41 Posts