Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i had the chain measured and all but i guess when i grabbed the chain (had a full 120 chain) by the time i picked up the tool i grabbed the wrong link or something. I have no idea what happened there :/ noob mistake for sure.

So its one link too short...is there anything I can do, add the link for example?

Here is what i did:
I adjusted the wheel 90% all the way to the front as in the pic and the chain fits, i will not have much room to play but it will work. Can someone tell me if the wheel being all the way upfront like that will make any difference? will it afffect anything? I would say it will be okay but I want to make sure.

My other option will be to go back to stock size rear sprocket (sprocket is much cheaper then a new chain), but i really wanted to try the -1 +2 setup.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
To make the chain the correct length, cut one link off the left-over piece of chain that you've cut off, buy a second (preferably rivet type) master link, fit them both to the "short" cut chain, and then fit that to the bike using the master link that came with the chain. I once lengthened an OEM KLX650 chain (endless and about 6 links too short when bought) to fit a KLR650, using an extra master link of the rivet type, and a piece of the same brand and type of chain, and had no trouble with it.
A rivet type link saves having 2 clips that can go missing on a long trip, but needs to be fitted with a bit of care to avoid it being too tight.
Cheers
Jack.
BTW if that chain doesn't have enough play at full compression of your suspension, it will wreck the counter-shaft bearing or the rear wheel bearing, or both.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To make the chain the correct length, cut one link off the left-over piece of chain that you've cut off, buy a second (preferably rivet type) master link, fit them both to the "short" cut chain, and then fit that to the bike using the master link that came with the chain. I once lengthened an OEM KLX650 chain (endless and about 6 links too short when bought) to fit a KLR650, using an extra master link of the rivet type, and a piece of the same brand and type of chain, and had no trouble with it.
A rivet type link saves having 2 clips that can go missing on a long trip, but needs to be fitted with a bit of care to avoid it being too tight.
Cheers
Jack.
BTW if that chain doesn't have enough play at full compression of your suspension, it will wreck the counter-shaft bearing or the rear wheel bearing, or both.
Very good information there. I might actually do that but for one link im not sure if its worth it. I know the chain will be at good tension according to specs as it is right now, i already checked that. Wheel can go forward a little bit more too. If riveting was a piece of cake them maybe i would attempt to do so, but like you said it can be tricky and i havent done one yet. will be doing my first one once i rethink what i want to do with this situation.

Better handling...cant go wrong with that! lol

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
So you ended with 110 links and 16/43 gearing? That will work fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Go 14 / 42 (don't know if they're available for yours) and you have 4 extra links and the same final reduction. Of course you have to buy 2 more sprockets to do it.
Rivet links are just a bit more time consuming and require a bit more thought and care to get them right. The actual riveting is easier off the bike than on it. Don't be afraid to have a go, just don't go at it like a bull at a gate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When you say the chain tension will be correct have you actually compressed the rear suspension and checked? I watched a bike mechanic adjust a sport bike chain to manufacturers spec, compress the rear suspension, saw the chain go taught well before the suspension was bottomed, then loosen it to look more "baggy" like a trail bike chain. I do the same to my bikes now.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
As long as it has the manufacturer-specified amount of slack, it'll be fine with the axle moved forward like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts