Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took my bike to the mountains and blew the engine. Barely made it back across the state to my driveway. I could have probably not done 90 the whole way but maybe subconciously I wanted it to die. :)
Anyway, what are some thoughts on these two bikes.
03 600RR or 05 SV650S.
None of this "Ride Red" crap. Just honest thoughts, past experience...etc...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
to be honest.. I like the honda.. both are very nice though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,240 Posts
No question about it... The 600RR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,025 Posts
I'l be hitting 30,000 miles on my 03 rr this week with no problems what so ever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
japbike said:
No question about it... The 600RR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm kind of with you on this. I am just worried about the comfort. I enjoy riding across NC and will continue to do so but I don't want to be in pain to do this. The RR seems like a better suited track bike which I plan on doing as well. Anyone rode for long periods on the RR?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
it depends on the ergos you want the 600rr is more racey while the sv is more straight up and down ergos both are nice i prefer the 600rr and im a motorcycle mechanic but if i was to take a long trip i would def get the sv
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,025 Posts
I ride across Alaska with mine.The key to comfort on one is to ride it as much as you can so your body can condition it's self.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,240 Posts
kazlab67 said:
Anyone rode for long periods on the RR?

Ask Moses,(<~SBN member) he rode here for my GTG in May and had no problems. One way from WI to KY is about 8 hours..... Only thing is, get a different seat. I believe that he bought a Corbin. I've now done Ky to FL and KY to WI on my F3, and I've had no problems. But again, I do have a banana seat! HA! ;)

I'd still go with the 600RR!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
japbike said:
Ask Moses,(<~SBN member) he rode here for my GTG in May and had no problems. One way from WI to KY is about 8 hours..... Only thing is, get a different seat. I believe that he bought a Corbin. I've now done Ky to FL and KY to WI on my F3, and I've had no problems. But again, I do have a banana seat! HA! ;)

I'd still go with the 600RR!
Thanks JB. This is the kind of answers I am looking for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LittleTex said:
kazlab67 how in the world did you blow your engine? Is it not fixable?
The 500 does not have a rev limiter. We were on a steep mountain where the road folded back on itself every 100 yards. I use engine braking a lot as well as up/down shifting and I think I pushed it a little too hard. This road was incredible. Deals Gap is kiddie land compared to this road. If anyone in NC wants to know where it is, send me a PM. I can at least get you to the starting gate :)
And there is absolutely nowhere for a cop to hide even if they wanted to.
We rode hard yesterday. These trips are making me a better rider each time I go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
kazlab67 said:
The 500 does not have a rev limiter. We were on a steep mountain where the road folded back on itself every 100 yards. I use engine braking a lot as well as up/down shifting and I think I pushed it a little too hard. This road was incredible. Deals Gap is kiddie land compared to this road. If anyone in NC wants to know where it is, send me a PM. I can at least get you to the starting gate :)
And there is absolutely nowhere for a cop to hide even if they wanted to.
We rode hard yesterday. These trips are making me a better rider each time I go.
Oh, guess that is why they say not to use engine braking, because eventually it'll break the engine. Try not to make a habit of it on your new bike when you get it. Decided on what bike your going to buy yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,811 Posts
If you get a thrill from straight line stuff, most definitely get the RR. The SV will teach you more though, especially if you're a novice. I "stepped down" from a 600cc to the SV and my riding has improved much faster than it was before. Be warned though, you'll want to dump $1k into better tires and suspension bits, so don't think you'll actually be saving that much over a 6.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nig said:
If you get a thrill from straight line stuff, most definitely get the RR. The SV will teach you more though, especially if you're a novice. I "stepped down" from a 600cc to the SV and my riding has improved much faster than it was before. Be warned though, you'll want to dump $1k into better tires and suspension bits, so don't think you'll actually be saving that much over a 6.
Cool....I really wouldn't call myself a novice anymore...not bragging or ego but my riding is getting tight. I still have so much to learn but I am past the confidence stage twice over....But getting on a 600 from a 500 is starting the learning curve all over again. I learned all I could from that 500....I'll miss it.
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
5,538 Posts
LittleTex said:
Oh, guess that is why they say not to use engine braking, because eventually it'll break the engine. Try not to make a habit of it on your new bike when you get it. Decided on what bike your going to buy yet?
Huh? I've got close to 19k (on par with Kazlab's bike I believe) on my 03 SV650 with LOTS of engine braking without an issue. Everyone I know that rides uses engine breaking. Who told you this?
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
5,538 Posts
I don't think the ergos from the SV-S are much off of those from the SS bikes... It might be slightly more relaxed, but not much at all. The naked however, has a VERY relaxed posistion compared to the S model, or SS bikes.

Nig is right as well... Stock suspension isn't all that great (tho mine is still stock and I do fine with it)... it's a little on the soft side if you weigh more than about 150. The biggest improvement so far I've done, was tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1quick1 said:
I've never had either but I do have a F4i not too completely far off the RR and I love it.
I love the F4i!!!
But someone is looking into an 03 600RR that isn't selling at the dealership. May be the answer to my problems, that is if they are actually interested in selling the bike instead of letting it gather dust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
TRaGiK said:
Huh? I've got close to 19k (on par with Kazlab's bike I believe) on my 03 SV650 with LOTS of engine braking without an issue. Everyone I know that rides uses engine breaking. Who told you this?
I think it was on someones signature on the board, that is if I'm remembering correctly :rolleyes I don't know I use engine braking in town a good bit, I just like hearing the exhuast sound. So someone was feeding me lies then, damn them :lao
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,101 Posts
If you arent afraid to move into liter bike category, my co worker is selling his Aprilla. It has low miles and an aftermarket high mount exhaust, a very good looking bike. He really wants to get rid of it and might cut you a good deal. Probably nothing under 5 grand though.
 
1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Top