Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the minor care center right now.

Here's how I ended up here.

I was on my way to the gym. I had my helmet, gauntlet gloves, and mesh jacket on, shorts and tennis shoes.

I came up to an intersection, and a car pulled out in front of me. I slowed down, using both breaks. Then as soon as the car cleared the intersection another car crawled into the intersection and STOPPED RIGHT in front of me.
I couldn't stop and had no where to go. So I pulled the front brake real tight and the rear brake real tight. Well I flipped forward and landed on the ground. Pretty much on my hands and elbows. I'm actually not hurt bad, my left elbow took quite a bit of the impact and is really sore. It hurts to bend it a little and hurts to put pressure on it.

So basically the jacket and gloves took all the impact.

I walked away with a sore elbow, and dissapointed because the bike is a little beat up.

It has a broke. Left foot peg, both mirrors broken, broken left turn signal and scratched left fairing.

So that's where I am now. Everything happened so fast. An off duty police officer saw the whole thing and said I did everything right.

I'm just bummed becaus the bike needs some attention.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No contact was made. I did an unintended stoppie. I was really close to hitting the truck, but from what I was told there was no contact. And unfortunately, it happened so fast I can't remember everything.

Oh well...... On a lighter note..... I did my first stoppie today!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No one got a ticket. The officer told me they can't file it as a wreck because no contact.

I got his insurance info though. I would really like the bike fixed.

Haha yea.... Idk why I said break.... Haha

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
No one got a ticket. The officer told me they can't file it as a wreck because no contact.

I got his insurance info though. I would really like the bike fixed.

Haha yea.... Idk why I said break.... Haha
Bullshit. He could have TOTALLY written a ticket. There doesn't need to be contact. It's the same thing as running a stop sign.

It'd be like if you were in a car and were forced to swerve off the road to avoid hitting him.

Glad you are alright. Curious why you went to the docs though... if you just banged up your elbow?

Or did you just want to get some xrays to be safe? I guess if it's hurting bad enough where you think you might have chipped a bone or something, it makes sense.

But it takes a LOT to get me to a doctors office. Stuff either has to be leaking out of places it shouldn't or stuff needs to be reoriented in a way that it wasn't in when I woke up that morning.

Reactions: F4sSprintST

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Yes, just impeding the flow of traffic is ticketable, and there was a personal injury involved

contact his insurance, if smart they will just pay

·
Registered
286 Posts
I agree with Kevin, the motorist should have been ticketed. He/she VIOLATED your right of way which precipitated the accident. Left turning cars always have to yield the right of way. At least you didn't get hurt worse considering you were wearing shorts and gym shoes. Even though no tickets were issued, I'd document all witness statements and look into getting a lawyer quickly. Injuries have a habit of coming back later. Personally, I injured my shoulder at work but kept telling myself that I was okay and that the stiffness would eventually go away. After six months, it didn't and I had to get my torn rotator cuff operated on. Fortunately, everything was covered by my employer's insurance no questions asked.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, thanks kevinwilly.

I don't understand why no ticket was issued but both officers said there has to be contact, otherwise they write something else, it's a paper stating there was a wreck but I caused myself to go down.

So basically because I did what I learned in the msf.... The right thing, I apparently screwed myself. Because if I had hit the truck he would be 100% liable. But instead, the only way he could give me his insurance info is if he is "willing" to hand the paper to me to take a photo of. I don't understand that at all.
Which he had no problem giving me the insurance info.

My elbow is actually hurting pretty bad now. I'm not a fan of sitting and waiting in the dr either. But I need to know if my elbow is chipped or anything before I lift weights. Basically I Just wanna be on the safe side and get checked out.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike, I am gonna call the insurance when I get home. And get a lawyer if necessary. I took a photo of the truck license plate and will take photos of my bike when I get home. I'll post em here too.

On a side note.... I have been wanting to get some Kevlar pants and riding boots, I've just been really short on cash.

I think I want to get a tougher jacket too. Even though the jacket is padded I'm still in pain.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
So basically because I did what I learned in the msf.... The right thing, I apparently screwed myself. Because if I had hit the truck he would be 100% liable. But instead, the only way he could give me his insurance info is if he is "willing" to hand the paper to me to take a photo of. I don't understand that at all..

There's the life lesson - doing the Right thing will often result in screwing yourself.

My wife got the plate of a hit and run driver, and I wish to god she hadn't, it's probably going to end up costing us $150k+, all because of how the System works

Still, I picked up a stray dog the other day that was in the road, and was told I was legally responsible for it, and they wouldn't come get it. Doh. Oh well, you do the Right thing because it's the Right thing.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Mike, I am gonna call the insurance when I get home. And get a lawyer if necessary. I took a photo of the truck license plate and will take photos of my bike when I get home. I'll post em here too.

On a side note.... I have been wanting to get some Kevlar pants and riding boots, I've just been really short on cash.

I think I want to get a tougher jacket too. Even though the jacket is padded I'm still in pain.
A tougher jacket won't do much, unless you have the cruddy foam armor in your jacket right now instead of the CE certified stuff.

What the jacket is made out of doesn't matter. Maybe look into better armor inserts, is all.

What brand/model is your jacket?

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
A tougher jacket won't do much, unless you have the cruddy foam armor in your jacket right now instead of the CE certified stuff.

What the jacket is made out of doesn't matter. Maybe look into better armor inserts, is all.
+1

There are generally two types of damage you get in a crash: impact and abrasion. With the exception of your helmet, your gear really only limits the abrasion damage. There aren't any pants or jacket on the market that will keep you from getting hurt if you slide into, say, a light post at 55mph. CE armor is better than nothing, but its still nowhere near a silver bullet.

What I'm wondering is, did you rash through or tear your jacket?

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Still, I picked up a stray dog the other day that was in the road, and was told I was legally responsible for it, and they wouldn't come get it. Doh. Oh well, you do the Right thing because it's the Right thing.
And that's what makes you "that guy"

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Bullshit. He could have TOTALLY written a ticket. There doesn't need to be contact. It's the same thing as running a stop sign.

It'd be like if you were in a car and were forced to swerve off the road to avoid hitting him.
Correct. There doesn't need to be contact to make it a crash. It's an unstablized event on the roadway (paved surface and shoulders as well as unpaved berms within the surveyed right of way).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yea. I got injured at work a few times. The docs told me to "walk it off," now i have pain in those injured areas 12 years later. The worst part is those f'ing military docs could have helped me better but told me to tuff it out. The. Even more worse part is that i took their advice and did tough it out. Now i have pain in my body that ia permanent but was totaly avoidable.

Even if you feel ok at least consult a laywer.

Sent from my brain using MO free.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry for not updating everyone, I just got out of minor care.
They did x-rays, no fractures or anything. Just a rib contusion.
My elbow is just bruised. So nothing major.
They gave me 600mg Motrin for pain.

I'm not sure of the brand of my jacket, I'll take some photos when I get home.

No rashes or anything.

That's because I was wearing my gear. I can tell I landed on my hands because they are a little sore. So the gauntlet gloves really did their job. And I checked my helmet just now, it has some scratches on it.

I wanna upgrade the padding in my jacket though.

And I'm gonna work on finishing my gear.

We called the insurance. Their gonna get back with more info later and a claims agent is going to call me.

Should I take the bike to a dealer and get the damaged appraised?
I'm not sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Yeah in my crash in June there was no contact either but I demanded a Police Report, there was no ticket issued but my insurance determined that the other driver's actions caused me to crash because I was trying to avoid him so they made him at fault and went after his insurance. I had to brake hard as he pulled out in front of me from a driveway and then stopped in the roadway blocking my entire lane, I had to brake hard and while braking his a huge pot hole that caused a front end lockup and bucked me off the bike.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's pretty much the same thing that happened to me today. Man that's really unsettling.

Basically if I hadn't locked the front brake up and pulled to the left I would have hit the truck, I don't think I could have swerved.

I keep replaying the scenario in my head trying to determine if I could have done anything different. But it happened so fast I can't remember it to a tee.

I already have an anxiety disorder and post traumatic stress disorder, so this is not helping at all.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts