Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Argh, I never knew Delaware was so damn strict on inspections! This stuff is pissing me off. Everytime I go for a recheck they make things worse. I bought the bike used with some aftermarket stuff on it, and never knew this stuff was illegal. Here's the current list of shit wrong.

No reflectors, need 5. (pep boys, taken care of)

Too small turn signals, front and rear. Short stalks up front, hot bodies undertail out back. (having a set of factory front signals mailed to me).

Stop lamps arent bright enough. (once again, I need a factory tail).

Bottom line is I need a factory undertail, fender, and rear signal setup! If anyone has one from doing mods, please let me know, color does not matter (must fit 01-03 f4i)! This sucks, wouldnt even give me a temp tag. I know I wont be voting for the same governor again, shes making things horrible here.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
People mod the hell out of bikes and get suprised when all the stuff they put on it for off road use only. It's a big pain in the ass.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
that sux.. i havent gotten my inspection since 2001 & havent had any problems w/t the po-po... thats cuz they have driven behind me a couple of time & see my plates with valid tags i guess is all they are looking for.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
CA tried vehicle safety inspections years ago and gave up. Way too much trouble I guess.

Most bike mods aren't DOT approved (especially lights) which is the source of the problem. Moral of the story is save the stock parts for inspections if your state does them.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Ask other riders around your area for a "less than strict" garage for inspecting bikes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
so you have to take your bike somewhere to get checked?

here you just get a mechanic to look at it and sign a DOT Safety and you take the paper to the ministry. Good thing I work with 15 mechanics

·
Registered
82 Posts
Are you taking it to a bike shop, or a regular auto garage? I know mine fails at the bike shop because of the flush mount turn signals, no reflectors and no license plate light, but the regular car garages don't know the difference. A turn signal is a turn signal to them

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sorry guys i just moved to Delaware, and here unlike other states i been in , you take your car to DMV only to get a inspection. A friend had to get a fender with signal attached and blinkers. cost him about $200. the blinkers have to be 4 inches off the bike, you need 5 reflectors and they check exhuast too, so if you have the baffles removed you are going to get a reject. sucks

I also ran into a problem getting registered. If you have a lien on the bike or car and they have your title, it is a mother of a dog to get your car retitled. The bank that own my title refuses to send the original but will send a copy. De. wont register unless they have the original and of cours the banks says if they lose the original they have nothign that will say i will pay up , grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Swollen Member
745 Posts
"Liberty and Independence" - Delaware State Motto

I remain sadly amused at the abuse of liberty and freedoms (yes, they're different) within the East Coast states, primarily the Commonwealths.

Come out west, where there's space, and no one give a sh crap.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I went to a shop out here in Ma and passed just fine. About a month later, I realized the bike doesn't have a license plate light ;) I have all the stock parts I took off, but the rear fender was chopped when I got the bike.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I take mine to a small private shop and they usually just tell me that if I get stopped, my turn signals were put on after I got inspected.

They take care of me, I take care of them!

·
Registered
519 Posts
fl doesnt care what goes on...but i would go to a different shop and try again

·
Registered
283 Posts
Go to a different shop.

The guy looked at my bike, at a rather nice bikeshop around here.. turned on the bike, fliped on the headlights, brights, turn signals, brake light.. and signed it off.. On the way out he said "you put those turn signals and that fender eliminator on after you got this" and gave me the stickers.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
We have a shop around here where you go in tell the guy you want an inspection and hand him 15 dollars, and in return he gives you a sticker.

What an inspection huh?

·
Registered
601 Posts
you fools are just having bad luck. I never had a problem with my bike with aftermarket items. Oh well good luck getting that shit fixed!

·
Registered
268 Posts
WOAH WOAH WOAH!!!

I need to put in my two cents first before this thread gets dis-regarded. My old bike was a '93 katana, I got it in '00 I think and registered it in early 2001. This is at the newer DMV on route 13 in Delaware, right outside of Wilmington. It had flush-mounts up front, short stalks in the rear, and didn't even have a plate light. Exhaust was never touched during the inspection and i passed fine. Try a couple more Dmvs out here in DE before you start buying more junk for your bike, you'll probally pass fine.

·
Registered
522 Posts
JESTER600 said:
easiest solution...don't get it inspected. Mine hasnt been inspected for 2 years. You should keep a bike is good, safe running order on your own anyway. f#[email protected] the man.

same here. I don't think anyone has a bike inspected around here. Regestration is enough.... :dunno

·
Registered
646 Posts
never got my katana inspected. only registered and insurance. i never understood the inspection part for bikes...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts