Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the weather starts to slowly get colder and the days get shorter, I always start reflecting on the past riding season.

I think about all the times that I DIDN'T ride my bike when I could have. I think about all the time I spent working on it. I think about the money I spent on parts, maintenance, and insurance. Basically, I think that sometimes the bike is just something that I don't need around anymore.

I don't ride it nearly as much as I would like to...especially now that work is 45 miles away. Where I work I have to wear a uniform, and utilizing the bike to commute has just been such a hassle that I have just resigned myself to taking the car...that, and I found a few people to car pool with so the cost of driving in is shared that way.

I always think that maybe I should just put it up for sale, and use the money for one of my other hobbies or to pay off some bills...but there's something inside me that just simply won't let me do it.

Maybe it's the idea that next spring I would be ready to go riding...but there would be no bike.

Maybe it's the idea that I've put so much effort into making my bike what it is, that it simply wouldn't be fair for someone else to enjoy it.

Maybe it's the idea that this is just the weather getting me down.

Whatever it is, there's something inside me that simply will not let me put the bike up for sale...which I'm grateful for every spring when the days start to get longer, and the weather starts to get warmer...

·
old member
13,079 Posts
WTF :confused:

It's been in the 80's here this week. :twofinger

I've got a 9:00 meeting tomorrow and after that... :02mgp for the rest of the day. :D

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Since the divorce this year... I haven't had much to anytime to ride.. believe I only have been out about 5 or 6 times for a ride.... other than back and forth on a few blocks to and from work on it. Hopefully next year will be a better financial year, and I will have more time to ride and less time at the 3 jobs I have.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WTF :confused:

It's been in the 80's here this week. :twofinger

I've got a 9:00 meeting tomorrow and after that... :02mgp for the rest of the day. :D
I'll take colder weather over living in the Armpit of the Country (California) any day!!!

:twofinger

·
Registered
587 Posts
Or you could get something over 500cc's and see how you feel then :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
As someone who's been through those thoughts...I regret ever getting rid of my bike. After having kids and other factors I thought getting rid of the bike was one of the options..I've regretted it ever since..I'd rather have it and not ride it than sit here wishing I had one..

·
5,455 Posts
yeah i wish i could've rode more this year too. i worked more than i would've like (bought me a new bike though, so i can't complain too much) and some health issues in my family limited my summer riding. now i finally have a car, which as much as i hate to admit, is alot more practical for making the 65 mile (all interstate) trip to and from school every week. i still put on over 8k so far this year though, not too bad :)

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
What's it called? Winter onset depression, something with a lot of vowels and stuff in it. You should spend all winter trying to write your name in the snow perfectly mimicking calligraphy. You could take that on the road, charge some money, go on David Letterman.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I'll ride everyday I can. It's my commuter. The only time I don't ride is under 28 degrees (yes 28 exactly, don't ask) or when threat of ice on the roads. I also don't do cold, rain and windy. 1 out of 3 or 2 out of 3 don't bother me on my commute (just riding I could care less) but 3 out of 3 is dangerous with the people who drive around here anyway.

For me personally, it's my therapy. Most weeks I only get time to ride to work and back, and sometimes EARLY Sat or Sun morning. My day is usually long and stressed, but when I slip on my gear and pop in my ear buds after 5pm...it just all goes away and I concentrate on the ride home.

My wife says I'm always in a better mood "all-around" when I'm riding / commuting everyday on the bike.

·
Information Sponge
1,447 Posts
I spent some time working at the White House (yeah, the one in D.C.), and it was suit / tie everyday. My only mode of transportation (aside from the metro) is the bike. Sometimes it was a hassle, but I ended up setting up a locker at work and changing before / after work. I'd carry a garment bag in on Monday with everything I needed for the week, and carry it home on Friday (usually I left my shoes / suits there to lighten the load).

The best part was that even though I had to spend 45 minutes on the metro before and after work each day, the first and last 25 minutes of my commute were on the bike; I always had that "sh!!te eating grin" plastered on my face. Heck, there was one time I forgot my rain gear (like an idiot) and it started POURING around 3pm. When I got to the bike that night, I was soaked just from the walk out of the metro station to the bike. You'd be surprised at the looks you get when it's pouring rain, you're soaked to the bone sitting a stop light singing a song in your head, faux-drumming on the tank and bobbing your head around :)

I consider the bike to be a stress reliever (as well as my get-around). If you really feel like you're neglecting the bike, try what I just laid out. Strap a garment bag on the back of your bike on Monday and ride in (I always got the "wtf" look on the metro when I showed up with my helmet, gear, a garment bag and a briefcase). Leave yourself a few extra minutes and you'll be fine. Try it for a week; let us know how it goes.

Best of luck to you! :cheers

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
I know, its cooling off like crazy. It was like 95 yesterday. Almost time to park the bike for the winter....

Or maybe I'll take it in for the 16k service and ride it all year like usual. Sucks to be you! :twofinger

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I was thinking the opposite on my way to work this morning. The best riding weather of the whole year is just around the corner: October and November.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
You need to find yourself some things you like to do in the winter.

Frankly I love this time of year - I like 60s and 70s much better than 80s and 90s. I usually love winter for a while too, although I do generally get tired of it before Spring rolls around.

As to the cold...well...you have far more options to add clothing to stay warm than you do to to remove layers to stay cool. I frankly hate working up a sweat on a 3 minute walk in to the office when it's 90 degrees out - which seems more like 120 walking over asphalt....burning my legs on the car seat, etc.

·
Ooh lawd!
8,466 Posts
I didn't ride much this year due to the drought - air quality here was absolute SHIT.

Been riding a ton more lately... nice 70 degrees, no rain, low traffic due to gas prices (or the absolute extinction of gas).

Must suck having a riding "season".

·
Registered
309 Posts
I actually prefer riding when the weather gets colder (though not when its ridiculously cold)...the bike feels better, more traction etc. etc. Plus it doesn't overheat as much in city riding. F***ing New York traffic lights.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts