Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have been thinking about getting a 3rd car in a few months.

So yesterday we see this car at the Dr. office and we both think " thats a nice looking car ". So as we walk past it we see its a Hyundai EQQUS. looks sharp. looks like a Benz or a Lexus copy so i look on my phone to see what they go for loaded.

$66k. are you Fucking kidding me, for a Hyundai. what am i missing ?

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I don't really understand you're confusion. By your own admission they are marketed to buyers of the 7 series BMW, S class Mercedes, and Lexus LS. All of of which start around 70K and can easily go to over 100K with options.

The Hyundai Equus is 66K loaded with everything they got. So you take people who are looking at used, but late-model, luxury cars and say "look you can buy that off lease Lexus for 70K with 20K miles on it, or you can have a brand new Equus for 66K". So you either get a new car, with a different, exclusive dealership experience than a regular hyundai, with a great warranty, an ipad, and other exclusive perks or you can buy a used car and get none of those things.

Makes sense to me...

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Hyundai has come a long way since the Excel. I'd rather have a 7 series, but that's just me.

On a side note, I think I saw your M109 at Ephrata on Sunday. The girlfriend and I took the R1200ST.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I studied them a while back. They're almost there with german cars and priced accordingly. At the time I thought of how it wasnt worth it to save a few bucks for a new korean copy but 1. It really is nice 2. German dealerships around here are truly horrible scam artists, even under blatant defect conditions. I had mb corporate calling me regularly for a while regarding a really bad alignment issue at highway speeds...all mb dealers were totally dicking me around. In the future I expect the same from bmw and if I had to buy luxury again id buy a top model nonluxury brand. I got the same vibe from lexus dealers. I was originally shopping for a fully loaded 2013 fusion.

Before, I thought the korean luxury cars were a funny joke. Now id more seriously consider them given the sad joke mb lexus andIm sure bmw are. I dont want to get screwed with warranty work when I buy a new car. It wasnt til a lemon law attorney got involved that mb did the obvious rig ht thing.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Btw ive bought most new fords and two new tacomas. Ive found them to be much more reliable than my mb and from what ive heard from friends and family other german cars that were bought new. Id still be a ford guy if the dealerships around so cal werent such jerks.

There was a time when lemons in new cars were very sour. I think today all brands are pretty equal more or less.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My wife and I have been thinking about getting a 3rd car in a few months.

So yesterday we see this car at the Dr. office and we both think " thats a nice looking car ". So as we walk past it we see its a Hyundai EQQUS. looks sharp. looks like a Benz or a Lexus copy so i look on my phone to see what they go for loaded.

$66k. are you Fucking kidding me, for a Hyundai. what am i missing ?
i'm with you man ... $66K for a hyundai regardless of what class this model is in, it's still a hyundai. i can read all the reviews and hear personal stories about how great they are but i will never buy one.

i'd much rather get a 5 series or save a bit longer to get a 7 series than spend that kind of dough on a hyundai.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Still a hyundai. The name is not helping them. IF they want to successfully compete in the luxury segments, they need to have a separate name for their luxury cars.

People shopping for 7 series, and S classes don't even consider looking at an Equus. IT is mostly the ones that shop for a 5 series or something similar that might cross shop alittle or those that have a 66k budget that buy that kind of car.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Still a hyundai. The name is not helping them. IF they want to successfully compete in the luxury segments, they need to have a separate name for their luxury cars.

People shopping for 7 series, and S classes don't even consider looking at an Equus. IT is mostly the ones that shop for a 5 series or something similar that might cross shop alittle or those that have a 66k budget that buy that kind of car.
Exactly. It's why there is a Lexus (Toyota), Infiniti (Nissan), and Acura (Honda).

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Toyota nissan and honda were well established names and networks when they took the leap. Its not easy to establish a seperate international entity.

·
Registered
848 Posts
personally, until any of those german brands get off their F'n high horse and treat all possible customers the same or at least some respect, then i might entertain the idea of buying one. BUT, since i don't own in the first place, and their attitudes, i shall never own one. even motorcycles are the same. went into a BMW dealer to check out their selection, they could care less about helping me because I rode up on a Suzuki. but yet, my brother rides up on his BMW and they are all over him like flies on shit. and he wasn't even interested in buying. WTF??? F em. could have got a sale Bub, but your loss.

sooo, in my case, i would buy the luxury model Hyundai any day. probably would get the Genesis R-Spec tho. just me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well the high end hyundai raises an interesting question, how much is the status of a car worth to you? Because basically that is what your paying extra for.. a beautiful membership card to what some consider to be an exclusive sophisticated group, or to the rest of us a bunch of pretentious douches.

When I was in the market for a car I went to Audi, Merc and BMW.. I was treated very at the Merc and Audi Dealer, and well the BMW dealer on the other hand was another story...
I'll admit I wasn't dressed fantastically after a fairly long day helping my dad work on a Jet ski trailer but the attitude of some of these sales people, just made me wonder how on earth they are employed in this economy.

Personally that class of car isn't for me (luxury sedan), but because of that BMW experience I can tell you that when I replace my current truck I will not be going to them.

EDIT: although an S1000RR would not bother me at all... Nor a 800 GS... hmm well maybe BMW isn't too bad..

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i currently have a 06 chrysler 300 and a 05 lexus rx330.

best 2 cars i ever owned. the 300 was my first american car and has served me very well. the lexus was my first luxery suv and it does good as well. i bought it used but i constantly have 3 lexus dealers calling to bring it in for service. i had to report them to the do not call list. they are like sharks.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im not looking for status. im looking for something better than what i have.
i plan on wearing jeans & dingy tee's as i have for the last 35 years of my life. i dont have anyone to impress but myself.

·
Registered
538 Posts
66k sticker right? You could probably get 5k to 8k off sticker without a battle. Just look at those Friday car ads, Hyundai car are marked way off sticker. You can get a automatic Eleantra new for 13, 14k sometimes.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Kia's new luxury model is 35K

·
B O R I C U A
1,216 Posts
All of the gadgets with a 10 year warranty, what's not to like? I don't shop for cars on that price range, not even cars on half the price...

I'll say this, the Hyundai Elantra with the turbo engine looks mighty good to me, and I will most probably end with one as the family car.

The only thing that scares me about Hyundai, is the resale value (or depreciation)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts