Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you are in your town, on a major side street (you know the type, has houses on either side, but also has a painted line down the middle. The street carries with it a 30 mph speed limit. However, some pranksters borrowed a 55 mph sign from a highway and switched the 30 mph sign. You get caught going 55 mph on that street citing the sign is posted at 55 mph. This is the town you live in, and you travel this road on an at least weekly basis and have for several years.

Does the cop give you a ticket? Does he let you off with a warning? If you recieve a ticket and fight it in court do you win because of the mis posted speed limit sign?

Now I know the LAW states that the speed limit is, and a sign is just a reminder. and I am not talking about changing something from 30 to 40, but all the way to highway speeds from a residential 30 mph

oh and because this is hypothetical, there was NO danger of Children/people/property being hurt/damaged. I am curious only to what is posted above

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Take immediate pictures of the sign!! Ask the officer if he will follow you back to the speed sign so that he can verify it. Even if the officer is a peckerwood he should still check the sign to make sure it has not been compramised.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is hypothetical, and was basically an arguement I had with a bunch of friends a while ago, and basically the arguement was (IMO) commonsense vs posted speed limit. That if you did it you deserved a ticket because you living in the town should know the speed limit and know that common sense would dictate that while a town might up the speed limit at some point, they would never up it as far as 55.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
I will agree with 737 on this one. Take pix FAST and make sure to invite the officer to join you. In fact if you can trick him into parking his car in the background of the picture it would be even better. My guess though is that he would immediately revoke the ticket and make a call to have the sign replaced. Same as some kids removing a stop sign causing accidents or people to run the no longer present signs. Here in Fl they have a "pre stop" sign its a yellow diamond sign with a pic of a stop sign on it aprox 1/10 of a mile from the actual sign. If they took the sign there wont be much of an excuse as there was a warning sign.

·
20,852 Posts
clearwaterms said:
this is hypothetical, and was basically an arguement I had with a bunch of friends a while ago, and basically the arguement was (IMO) commonsense vs posted speed limit. That if you did it you deserved a ticket because you living in the town should know the speed limit and know that common sense would dictate that while a town might up the speed limit at some point, they would never up it as far as 55.

In TN the standard speed limit in residential neighborhoods is 30 mph but they state in the law "30 mph in unposted residential neighborhoods unless otherwise posted". It is sort of up to interpretation by the person reading it.

·
20,852 Posts
hanglowejohnson said:
peckerwood... one of my favorite words of all time lol

:lol perckerwood is one of my favorites if I can't remember their name or something, another is whats-his-nuts. I have to remember my language sometimes I am interacting with the public while I am at work :eek:nfloor

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
"Chicken FUCKER!!!" (super troopers)

·
20,852 Posts
Reckless01 said:
"Chicken FUCKER!!!" (super troopers)

:eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor meow

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy